↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Increasing roll resistance?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
Increasing roll resistance?
I understand that ultimately the road springs are responsible for the amount of body roll experienced in a vehicle and that in order to have a less uncomfortable ride an anti roll bar is used to moderate the effects of cornering at speed. Further to that i get that increasing the stiffness of the anti roll bar bushes offers an improvement in the efficiency of the bar without going as far as a heavier section bar, a half way house of sorts.

I also know that the panhard rod is primarily there to provide lateral location to a beam axle while still allowing vertical movement of either end. On the same basis as the anti roll bar bushes being stiffer helps the effectiveness of the bar to resist rotation would stiffer bushings in the panhard rod have a contributory effect of also reducing the initial lateral component of the body roll , or is that additional stiffness just going to overly stress mounting points with no additional benefits.

I am and probably always will be cynical to fitting polyurethane bushings to every joint in the suspension because I see a compliant ride as being a good idea in general, but certain features like being able to corner without the need for stabiliser wheels is also good.

Thanks in advance. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #646193 25th Aug 2017 5:29am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The Panhard rod is a much longer lever than an ARB so I'd think that to make any difference the bushes would have to be so hard that they'd put undue stress on the mountings. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #646218 25th Aug 2017 8:23am
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Very much doubt that stiffer bushes on the panhard rod will not make any noticeable difference. Additionally polyurethane bushes have a metal inner sleeve which can rotate pretty freely, therefore would actually allow an easier rotation of the panhard road around the bolts.

If you want reduced body roll without compromising ride quality I suggest thicker anti-roll bars and/or progressive rate springs. Be aware that having any weight at height on the vehicle will have a very drastic and detrimental effect on the body roll. Especially with the upper body of the Defender being quite lightweight (i.e. roof rack/tent, spare wheel on roof or high on back door etc.)

I find taking the 255/85 spare out of the load bed on my DCPU makes a huge difference to how much it rolls.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #646226 25th Aug 2017 9:48am
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
Thanks for the advice guys, that is what I was thinking. I have never been a fan of polyurethane. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #646282 25th Aug 2017 4:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1