↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Which EGR blank
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
stigomery

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Belize Green
Which EGR blank
I'm going to fit an EGR blank and was hoping to acquire an IRB one as they seem most "complete", however based on ability to order I'm seeking the next best option. What is the "best" EGR blank kit I should be looking at?

Thanks
Post #641093 1st Aug 2017 10:02am
simon67

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
Personally they are all much alike, but I'm running an Alive one with no issues
Post #641106 1st Aug 2017 11:00am
stigomery

I looked at ALive... but... 10 quid shipping on something that fits in a jiffy bag and weighs next to nothing... they're having a laugh!

They will not be getting my business...
Post #641121 1st Aug 2017 11:33am
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
They are all near enough identical some just use stainless steel some don't. Just need the replacement pipe and three blanking plates if you do it the 'easy' way. If not you just need the pipe and one blank

If you plan to fit a boost gauge get one with a boost fitting (link below), makes more more reliable and neater installation.

By 'easy way' mean leaving the EGR cooler in place, once the EGR is blanked off you can remove that entire thing, free up the engine bay a little. Just need a bolt and a small jubilee clip to blank off a coolant hose. Or you can remove the entire pipe that leads round to the oil cooler and blank it off there but that may require draining the coolant and refilling!

I've got this one - Sorry wrong one, but from that seller.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E46-318td-32...SwY3BZLJ79

Good tip though, when fitting the blanking plate to the exhaust manifold, use proper bolts NOT the allen/socket heads they just round off and become a nightmare to remove or even fit. I personally used some exhaust 'cement' as well to ensure that stays sealed.

Last edited by bankz5152 on 1st Aug 2017 11:59am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #641125 1st Aug 2017 11:38am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
bankz5152 wrote:
Just need the replacement pipe and three blanking plates ...

Er, why three? Only the manifold needs blanking. On my Disco I blanked the manfold, replaced the EGR body with the plain pipe, removed the EGR cooler and rerouted the coolant inlet hose to the hearder tank (where the outlet hose went), and plugged the two vac pipes. Only one plate needed. I used a D44 kit, by the way.
Post #641129 1st Aug 2017 11:52am
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
x2 on the EGR cooler x1 on the exhaust manifold. You can blank the EGR the 'easy way' buy leaving the cooler in place, it has to be blanked at each end.
Post #641132 1st Aug 2017 12:00pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
stigomery wrote:
I looked at ALive... but... 10 quid shipping on something that fits in a jiffy bag and weighs next to nothing... they're having a laugh!

They will not be getting my business...

It'll be postage and packing. They have to pay somebody to process and pack orders.
The company my missus works for has a minimum order charge of £100. So if you order a valve worth £15, it will cost £100.
Many companies do this as it's just not worth their while processing an order for (say) £30
Post #641326 2nd Aug 2017 8:05am
stigomery

What companies chose to charge is their own decision, but, at 66 quid including VAT and P&P I think the Alive option is expensive for what it is. The postage IMHO was the deciding factor.

FWIW I went with X8R which came in at a fraction over 1/2 that price at 33.99 including VAT and P&P arriving today...

https://x8r.co.uk/land-rover-discovery-def...ler-blanks
Post #641359 2nd Aug 2017 11:10am
blackwolf

bankz5152 wrote:
x2 on the EGR cooler x1 on the exhaust manifold. You can blank the EGR the 'easy way' buy leaving the cooler in place, it has to be blanked at each end.

No it doesn't! Why on earth would it need blanking at each end?

I rank my Disco with the EGR cooler in place - unblanked - for about 2 years until I decided to ditch the cooler completely.
Post #641374 2nd Aug 2017 12:51pm
stigomery

blackwolf wrote:
No it doesn't! Why on earth would it need blanking at each end?

I rank my Disco with the EGR cooler in place - unblanked - for about 2 years until I decided to ditch the cooler completely.

I can't confirm whether or not the additional 2 blanking plates are or are not technically required, but all of the EU3 (post 2002) Td5 blanking kits that I've researched have the 2 additional plates, pre-2002 (EU2) they only supply 1 blanking plate in the kit... so someone thinks they are necessary...

it's not a gratuitous price thing because the EU3 kits seem to be the same or even less in some cases as the EU2 kits...
Post #641375 2nd Aug 2017 12:58pm
blackwolf

The D44 kit I fitted to my EU3 Disco had one blank, for the manifold.

The cooler is simply a housing containing a nest of small tubes through which the exhaust gas passes, with coolant surrounding the outside of the tube nest. When you remove the EGR body and the pipe from the manifold to the cooler, you can leave the ends open.

I suppose if you were just blanking the manifold and not actually removing the valve body you could make an argument for blanking the inlet manifold side of the cooler, since it will reduce very slightly the manifold volume and may reduce turbo lag, but any benefit will be obliterated by the massively restrictive valve body you have left in place. Better of remove the thing in its entirety!
Post #641384 2nd Aug 2017 1:17pm
stigomery

So I went to do the EGR delete at the weekend... I'd determined that a delete had not already been done as a quick peak at the exhaust manifold showed the normal pipe heading froward to the exhaust gas cooler at the front of the engine...

well, an EGR delete has been done - but totally different to any example above, the delete was only done on the left of the engine, i.e. the EGR valve removed but the blank applied to the exit of the cooler, NOT the exhaust manifold. The car has been running fine so I see no reason to change this. I guess the cooler might get full of soot, but any issues I could encounter?

Lesson #436 - check the whole system to fully understand what mods have been done in the past before ordering parts

(Anyone need an X8R EGR delete kit? Stainless steel, 4 blanking plates and all gaskets/bolts)
Post #645365 21st Aug 2017 9:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1