↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Philips Racing Vision Bulbs 150% better ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
legin

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
Philips Racing Vision Bulbs 150% better ?
Just seen on pistonheads some one has fitted Philips Racing Vision H4 bulbs they claim their 150% better, a large %,has anyone tried them ?

Click image to enlarge
Post #642790 9th Aug 2017 5:01pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
If the wiring to your headlights it poor with a tired switch and bad earths then it probably wont make a massive difference.

I forget exactly which ones i have fitted, i remember they are Phillips, but not the exact model. They're cheap from Eurocarparts and you're bound to find at least a 20% discount code for them. I'm not sure they're "150%" better but they were certainly brighter than what was in there. Given the price though you may as well just take a punt, they're the same wattage so they wont do any harm.
Post #642795 9th Aug 2017 5:15pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
They are better and whiter than standard and that was the 90% the ones I had.
But if you fit a Land Reiziger loom, and the bulbs. Plus ideally Crystal headlight.

You will have just about the best Halogen set up you can get. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #642809 9th Aug 2017 5:41pm
legin

Philips Racing Vision RacingVision +150% H4 Headlight Bulbs (Twin) 12342RVS2

Is this the strongest road legal halogen bulb ever?

Choose the Philips RacingVision range if you're a passionate driver wanting the rally look in a stylish, road legal package. With up to 150% more brightness on the road than standard, you'll experience a safer and more exhilarating driving experience.

Brighter light, safer drive

This is the heading from a listing on ebay which state 150% so it does have to be or the trading standards would pull the add surely .
Post #642866 9th Aug 2017 9:53pm
Darcy Fairfax

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
"Brighter light, safer drive "

Not for those coming towards you though...
Post #642868 9th Aug 2017 10:08pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
First add "proper" wires and relays to power the lights. Without this, it is just wasting money for better bulbs. Another way is to change whole lights for some LED lights. I have tested so cheap Chinese and they were better than halogens. And price is comparable. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #642892 10th Aug 2017 6:14am
legin

I too was thinking of LED'sbut when looking on ebay the different price's ,what one's did you get I was thinking of these midprice at 255 and a UK seller.Here's the listing below.

Land Rover Defender LED Juwel Headlights with DRL E-Marked RHD

Our Land Rover Defender Juwel 7" LED Headlights with DRL are specifically designed for use with Land Rover Defenders. The anti-flicker harnesses prevent radio interference and contain technology that eliminates flickering caused by the CAN-BUS electrical system on later models making these headlights simply plug & play drawing a mere 2.0 Amps for each 30/36 Watt light.

Our Juwel LED Headlights offer 4200lm (High Beam) /2400lm (Low Beam) and are easily adjusted using the standard Land Rover headlight adjustment bezels. Instantly upgrade the look of your Defender with our road legal & E Marked LED lights.
Daytime Run Light
Energy efficient
Premium performance high-output CREE LEDs
Surpasses DOT & European requirements (E-Marked)
Easy plug and play installation for a 7″ LED headlight

The headlights are IP67 rated. Simply put; they are water/dust proof and can withstand being submerged underwater for 30 minutes without damage. Ideal when off-roading.

I liked the ip rating and the fact they were E marked
Post #642903 10th Aug 2017 7:47am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Later Defenders don't have a CAN-BUS electrical system so it's unlikely that they '"are specifically designed for use with Land Rover Defenders". Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #642904 10th Aug 2017 8:03am
custom90

United Kingdom 
^^^^ Very true the Defender uses a simple standardised H4 connector.

Brighter headlights aren't an issue to drivers oncoming, that is an isssue with alignment as most people think you can just shove them in and it's done.
It isn't, the beam adjustment is way out of alignment.

I wouldn't consider cheap LED headlights either, they will likely be worse than upgraded loom Halogen.

I have Noldens with position light, they are very good.
Although they are voltage regulated I still have a Land Reziger loom, so backward compatible if need be.
And stops the current overloading the switch, instead there is only a nominal switching current flowing through the LR master light switch. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 10th Aug 2017 4:24pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #642934 10th Aug 2017 10:45am
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Quote:
Brighter headlights aren't an issue to drivers oncoming, that is an isssue with alignment as most people thing you can just shove them in and it's done.
It isn't the beam adjustment is way out of alignment.

Exactly, And if you stick those H4/HID converter things in, all of which are illegal for road use, no amount of adjustment will get the aim correct.
Post #642972 10th Aug 2017 3:35pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I wonder if the vendor really means what he is saying (or even understands what he is saying).

In the unlikely event that they give out half as much light again as a standard bulb (which is, I suspect, what is meant) then they are actually 50% brighter than standard.

To be "150% brighter" they would have to be two and a half times as bright as a standard bulb, and I seriously doubt this is possible.
Post #642985 10th Aug 2017 5:05pm
legin

To be "150% brighter" they would have to be two and a half times as bright as a standard bulb, and I seriously doubt this is possible.
Which I too think would be very unlikely so how do they get away with that statement .
Post #643010 10th Aug 2017 6:46pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I think you have a very optimistic view of Trading Standards interest in eBay. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #643034 10th Aug 2017 7:55pm
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
https://www.philips.co.uk/c-m-au/car-light...bs/halogen

Philips claim (up to) +150% on their website.
The top 3 are +60%, +120% and +150% so it would appear that they really are claiming 150% above standard (otherwise the +60% wouldn't make sense).

Whether they actually achieve it, or exactly how they claim to achieve it I don't know. But it is interesting to notice the lifetime of the +150% is about 200hr compared to 400hr for the +120% and ranging to 1500hr for the "longlifeecovision"
Post #643052 10th Aug 2017 8:33pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Phillips don't actually seem to give any lumen ratings for their bulbs, but Osram do.
Comparing the 55W +130% bulb "with laser ablation technology" to the +60% Silverstar, the +60% are actually rated at more lumens, 1550 compared to 1500lm of the allegedly better bulbs. When I've looked previously at the Nightbreaker Unlimited compared to their standard ones, they're rated the same.

The different bulb aren't (and can't due to regulations and technology) putting out any more light than each other. What they can do is put it out at a different colour temperature so it seems brighter or, and I think this is where the "up to x more light" comes from, put the same amount of lumens out of a smaller filament. The advantage of using a smaller filament is that the power is concentrated in a smaller area so you get a higher colour temperature (therefore a colder, bluer light) and more significantly it works better in a small badly designed reflector.

So you not getting any more lumens, you might be having your eyes fooled and at best the optics might be working more efficiently.

There is, however, a massive improvement to be made by upgrading the wiring loom. According to a few different sources, light output is approximately proportional to V^3.4 - that means that you'll get twice as much light out of your headlights running them at 14V compared to 11V.

More on this thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43730.html including me going through the "wait, but, what?!" process Smile
Post #643917 14th Aug 2017 5:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>