↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Salisbury Diff Pinion Oil Seal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
300TDi CSW Phil

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Salisbury Diff Pinion Oil Seal
Some of you may have seen that I have been spending some time sorting out my Defenders Rear end so to speak (What do you do in your Defender today).

I have removed the offending oil seal (which had been badly installed by someone that I had paid to do it Sad ).
Having cleaned it up a bit to fully assess what had gone wrong it looks like the original steel and leather version (correct for the type of drive flange fitted) except that it has some sort of rubber in it rather than leather. This has been deformed from the bad install and the rubbery part is less than rubbery.

I have a new drive flange ordered already assuming the old one would be past its best (it is) I have discovered that there is a new seal type that was used with these flanges.

The question is should I install the new type seal or the steel and leather one that I have (bought based on the vehicles age etc).

In several places I have seen that the original drive flange has been superseeded by the new style for all applications and that it works with either seal.

Your thoughts and experiences please.

Regards

Phil 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
Wide Track Sankey- In bits- Gone to a new home
M0XQS
Post #642225 6th Aug 2017 1:05pm
thompjas

United Kingdom 
I have this on my to do list as mine is leaking slightly. My worry is that the previous owner may not have installed the correct version nor tightend the nut back to where it should have been!

I was going to order the newer style seal and drive flange as a set to ensure compatibility
Post #642402 7th Aug 2017 3:48pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
sorry for not been any help, but it does wind me right up when you pay some to do the job and its not done correctly, and you end up re doing the job your self, and make a better job too!
I bet it wasn't cheap either phil! Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #642420 7th Aug 2017 5:00pm
300TDi CSW Phil

Procta,

It wasn't from memory (it was a couple of years ago). I now have the new pinnion flange kit and usefully it has come complete with the seal.

It said nothing about that on the listing for the part so I now have the original leather type, a new type Allmakes one and the nice looking Corteco one that came in the kit (which is the one I will be installing). So the other two can go back for a refund.

Now to go get wet and start rebuilding.

Regards

M0XQS
Post #642586 8th Aug 2017 3:35pm
300TDi CSW Phil

thompjas,

There are instructions out there on the internet for setting the preload on the pinnion bearing by using a required amount of torque to turn the pinion (and not the diff) so you can measure this as you do the nut back up to make sure it is in the right place.

I now have mine set correctly and have started to rebuild the hubs including new stub axles, bearings, halfshafts , drive members (or flanges depending on wording preference) and all gaskets and oil seals. Then once back on the deck I will change out the oil in the diff.

Regards

M0XQS
Post #642663 8th Aug 2017 10:10pm
300TDi CSW Phil

Very Happy Very Happy

Just been for a drive to make sure everything is OK before I use it tomorrow and can report that leaks and clunking have disappeared.

Am I a happy Defenderist.... yes I am. Thumbs Up 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
M0XQS
Post #642862 9th Aug 2017 9:39pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Let us know if it develops any problems in the future. I've got to do the flange and seal on the Salisbury that's due to go under my 110 - waiting until the axle is mounded under the chassis though so that I can undo the nut properly.

Which seal/flange kit did you buy?
Post #643140 11th Aug 2017 9:40am
300TDi CSW Phil

Retroanaconda,

About a 110 miles in now with a mix of town, country and motorways and everything seems absolutely fine. No leaks of oil from either end or indeed anywhere in between.

The flange kit I used was an allmakes one which came recommended from my normal parts supplier (not a forum sponsor but always very helpful). It came with the correct seal and nut and washer.

Just a hint when it comes to the seal that an old drive flange is exactly the right size to drift in the new seal.

Assuming you can get the nut undone with it off the vehicle I would do it know as access under is fun with the effort involved. The nut can be reset by measuring the amount of force to turn the pinion in the bearings without moving the crown wheel (not much margin I know but it is possible if you're gentle).

Regards

M0XQS
Post #643189 11th Aug 2017 1:48pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Thanks. I'd seen the Allmakes PR2 ones, got one of their Rover flange kits to go on the 90's front diff and it seems okay so glad to hear yours is working well.

The axle will be fitted to the chassis but there will be no body on, so plenty of good access Wink
Post #643333 11th Aug 2017 10:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1