↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Easy tracks to do in a freelander 2 in Europe ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Welkman

United Kingdom 
Easy tracks to do in a freelander 2 in Europe ?
Hi all,

Been prepping my 110 for a two week traverse of the Pyrenees in the last few weeks but unfortunately the slave cylinder decided to fail overnight leaving us no choice but to take the wife's freelander 2. I am determined to enjoy the break after spending so much time researching and preparing the 110.

Does anyone have any recommendations of tracks that we could try in France or Italy ? Bear in mind it is a totally standard vehicle with no real recovery gear.

Cheers

James
Post #640707 30th Jul 2017 2:39pm
Maris Widgeon

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Colle delle Finistre and associated tracks from Susa to Sestriere on France /Italy. Popular track which a Freelander would easily cope with. It is shown on the large scale Road maps, starts as tarmac then goes to gravel with fantastic views.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It is shut to motorised vehicles on certain days of the week, check the website for colle delle assiette to see which days of the week it's open so as not to have a wasted trip. We did this after the track around Mont Cenis, then went on to some tracks up to the Colle Sommelier and the Rochmolles Valley, all good gravel tracks and in the same area.
That was last year's trip so can't comment on the condition this year, but usually they seem to be well maintained.

Have fun Nick.
Post #640711 30th Jul 2017 3:59pm
Welkman

United Kingdom 
Superb - currently stopped just north of Reims so we shall make our way to the location suggested and explore. Looks like a good area for walking/hiking as well so right up our street. Very Happy Thumbs Up
Post #640754 30th Jul 2017 7:49pm
Welkman

United Kingdom 
Just left the area after four days. We stayed at a campsite just under the colle which was really quiet (only cold water). The freelander did surprisingly well on the longer route over the mountain tops which had fantastic views. We also climbed a few of the surrounding peaks on foot. Most of the users of the long off road routes seemed to be treating the environment and trails well however I noticed a lot of full on raid buggies and motorcross bikes using the roads as race tracks on Sunday. Overall a great area to explore.

I picked up a guide to off-road trails in the tourist office which gives a series of long (140km) routes to follow in the area. I will definitely go back with the series 1 or the defender at some stage.

Click image to enlarge
Post #642571 8th Aug 2017 1:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1