↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Finance & Insurance > Insurance stress - got there in the end!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Fatspy

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Insurance stress - got there in the end!
Just spent almost 2 days ringing round for an insurance renewal quote. 2 days of my life that I won't get back! Big Cry

Bottom line, and cutting a very long story short, A-Plan (Thatcham office) were easy, understanding and highly competitive. Beat my last renewal quote with Flux by a cool £150.00. That will do me. Thumbs Up Wish I'd rung them first. I spoke to
a very helpful guy called Jamie who knew his stuff inside out.

Some of the responses I got when declaring all my mods to other insurers were incredible. e.g. 'Panoramic glass - is that like a sunroof?' and 'If your alloy wheels cost more than £1k we can't even quote at all". Neutral

It seems that mods scare the living daylights out of mainstream insurers, it was so refreshing to talk to a broker like A-Plan who have set there stall out for the likes of us.

I have no connection to A-Plan whatsoever, just wanted to share my experience.
Post #641642 3rd Aug 2017 4:09pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Glad you got on better with them than I did, I really didn't have a good time with them at all.

On the other hand speaking to Adrian Flux they did seem to get it and saved me an equivalent amount of money.

I went through all the insurers that advertise in LRO, and had issues with almost all of them not wanting to quote - a 5 year old modified commercial vehicle (mines basically a van) just fell outside all of the their categories. It was too new for the classic people, the modified 4x4 people didn't want to cover a commercial and the van insurers wouldn't cover it for modifications. I realise that sounds silly (roof bars and internal storage is hardly unusual for a van) but that's how it was.
Post #642175 6th Aug 2017 9:09am
Tommo

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 Black LE Java Black
insurance companies....sent by the devil Evil or Very Mad
Post #642180 6th Aug 2017 9:23am
keef9t

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
You were lucky,living in Cheshire. If you have a Manchester postcode, A-Plan are not interested, neither are NFU who won't even entertain giving you a quote. My vehicle is bog standard, no mods. Direct Line and Saga happy to quote circa £260. So much for A-Plan looking after us.
Post #642290 6th Aug 2017 9:15pm
corgi1

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Had nothing but trouble with A plan, NFU brilliant every time
Post #642293 6th Aug 2017 9:21pm
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
You do have to always bear in mind that A-Plan, Flux, etc are brokers not insurance companies and they will all have their own panel of underwriters that they use so don't write them off but always shop around to get the best coverage. Even the likes of Go-Compare etc do not cover the whole market so although it is a pain you have to use them all to get the access to all of the underwriters. Then Direct line as well.

As an example I have had quotes from A-Plan for the last 3 years and they have never been competitive for my standard TD5 110, for that I use Privilege. However on a modified V8 ( sold ) they were by far the cheapest and Privilege were terrible. I am of course the same person, job, address and insurance history for both vehicles. HR064 Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 Response

Last edited by JJ on 7th Aug 2017 4:34pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #642353 7th Aug 2017 9:44am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Fatspy

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Thanks all. Yes, very much 'horses for courses' was my experience too.

The way it's going re insurer's tolerance to modifications on a Defender, the after market parts/nhancements industry could be in for a harder time.

How often do you see a totally unmodified Defender?

Two years back, on my previous Defender, I fitted wheel spacers to the original Boost alloys. I declared it to my insurers, as you should, only to be told they would cease cover if I left them on. I then proceeded to ring around and could not find ANYBODY who would tolerate spacers , either that or they wanted to charge an unrealistically massive increase in premium. I ended up taking them off and selling them on Ebay.

I am also of the opinion that some insurers just see mods as a green light to make an extra buck, with minimum extra risk exposure for them.

Also,i nsurers increasingly now look for any non-declarations as a reason to decline cover. Be warned.
Post #642355 7th Aug 2017 10:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1