↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Gearbox and transfer box removed...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Paulv8

1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Alpine White
Gearbox and transfer box removed...
Hi guys,

Advice and comments needed please....for me to read whilst I drink... a lot Smile

In search of my rattle at idle with the clutch out and in neutral, I hoped the fault would prove to be the clutch springs, and so I bought a new clutch, removed the box and had a butcher's hook.

1) The clutch springs have wear but not too much. they rattle a bit.....
2) the gearbox input shaft has several mm of side to side/ up and down movement...
3) the intermediate shaft between the Gbox and Tbox was red rusty, but not significantly worn - however when I pulld the tbox from the gbox, one half of the shaft stayed in the tbox and it was clear that there has been a problem long term. In the housing was the remnants of the plastic cover, half a cable tie, and some chewed up rubber.... the spring that locks the two shafts together is present but slack, and I don't think the two shafts were properly linked... all the items were red rusty so had been like this a while.
4) The Tbox drain plug had some metal filings on it ( changed the oil 3k miles ago) and there is 5-8mm of "free rotation" on the input shaft before either of the drive shafts are driven (and there is a noticeable clunk)

YOUR ADVICE AND COMMENTS PLEASE Smile.... my wallet has just sent me a postcard from the South of France.... Big Cry V8 90...WIP
Post #633165 23rd Jun 2017 6:09pm
Lightningtweeds

Scotland 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Chop it in for a reputably sourced exchange box. Sounds like its all done for.
Post #633169 23rd Jun 2017 6:24pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
H much of a rush r u in? Call me Monday. Or. Weekend.
Post #633173 23rd Jun 2017 6:37pm
Paulv8

text sent buddy V8 90...WIP
Post #633175 23rd Jun 2017 6:40pm
Paulv8

I have now measured the mt82 input shaft free play and it's 2mm, not five. It's amazing how it feels more but the gauge does not lie! V8 90...WIP
Post #633260 24th Jun 2017 11:55am
Procta

United Kingdom 
paul, what was the best way to remove the gearbox off your landy? My dads about to do a clutch change on his 200TDI, and I think he is not to sure on how to proceed, he will just go in at it and things goes tits up.
If you can advise me, it would be great and I think you will save a disaster before it starts.
At the moment in time, its up on the ramps with the rears chocked and floor plus seat box removed. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #633727 26th Jun 2017 6:47pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
I tend to split the transfer box off, drop that out of the way then remove the gearbox.
Post #633768 26th Jun 2017 8:54pm
Paulv8

I used a cheap jack adapter from ebay (about 35 quid) and have also previously removed them using a) an engine hoist through the seat box, and b) nothing but bits of wood, a sheet of ply and a couple of jacks.

Not sure about the 200tdi, but the v8 needs the engine supported with a jack, the puma just sits balanced on its two mounts.

Its a very simple process, but the items are heavy and you need to take your time and plan. The centre of gravity for the gbox and tbox combined is to the right of the centre line of the gearbox and right back at under the back end of the gbox on a puma. I cant remember where on others i have done, but certainly you need support under the tbox. I bolted the jack adapter to the gearbox and tbox to be sure.

Using a jack adapter was very good and straight forward. I set up a hand winch off the tow bar, so that I could draw the box off slowly and in a controlled way. V8 90...WIP
Post #633774 26th Jun 2017 9:12pm
Paulv8

Update:

So a week after getting it all going, it is all great.

The gearbox is fine. Apparently the play is normal according to Syncro gearboxes.

The transfer box is fine we think too.... anything less than an eighth of a turn is ok according to Syncro.

The new intermediate shaft I fitted is great, and the new clutch rattle free. The drivetrain is refined and slack free.

Overall I am very pleased V8 90...WIP
Post #637003 11th Jul 2017 9:21pm
Welkman

United Kingdom 
Result !

Im currently rebuilding a transferbox/changing clutch and also made an adapter to mount the gearbox that fits in the trolley jack. Having an absolute nightmare getting the clutch aligned. What ever you do don't waste money on a laser clutch alignment tool - it is too floppy to be of any use at all. I also cannot see how people do this with just a long reach socket.

I will head up to machine mart with a spare spigot bearing and see what they have to offer.

I had two transfer boxes and hoped to make one good one - the one in the car with a 1.2 ratio was leaking badly from the output seal and the intermediate shaft - on close inspection the bearings on the diff carrier were rotating on the shaft. The original 130k mile 1.4 transferbox had a high gear so worn that when a new bearing is fitted the gears lock together!

So far I am about £400 into rebuild including larger sump and sleeved case, rebuild kit, new gear and carrier and new selector yoke, if I could go back in time I would have just purchased a recon one from ashcrofts !
Post #638744 21st Jul 2017 8:59am
dorsetsmith

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #638752 21st Jul 2017 9:55am
Welkman

United Kingdom 
brilliant ! I will have to see if the local place will let me use their lathe Smile
Post #638757 21st Jul 2017 10:03am
Welkman

United Kingdom 
I have one more question on this: box is fully rebuilt according to factory manual. Worked well on the bench but when I try the box in the car there is significant slack between the front and rear outputs in diff lock. If you put it in gear with the props removed you get an alarming clunck coming from the transferbox when taking up or removing drive sharply. It is almost like the difflock is only engaged partially... I have checked detent spring pressure which is ok and the linkage appear fine. I have tried with pliars on the difflock with the same results.

Any ideas?
Post #639958 26th Jul 2017 8:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1