Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Bush Tucker Man's Land Rover
Hi Chaps,

I thought some of you might be interested in seeing this. I've always been a fan of Les Hiddins, the Bush Tucker Man, and recently while on my honeymoon in Australia I visited the Darwin Military Museum. A cracking morning out, Darwin has a huge military history as you probably know, the Japanese dropped more bombs on Darwin than they did at Pearl Harbour.

In the first two series of Bush Tucker Man (1987-1989) Les drove an Australian Army issue Land Rover 110 soft top. He had 2 for these series and the one pictured below was his first, registration 48 001. They were kitted out to his personal spec. It now resides at the museum and is being looked after there. When I turned up it had been taken off display, but after a chat with the staff I gained unbridled access and a chance to look over it, sit in it etc.

The Australian Army had Isuzu 4 cylinder diesels, this particular one was delivered Feb 1987 and is a "Truck Utility Lightweight MC2 Cargo Personnel".

It was a particular dream come true for me to see it, let alone sit in it. It's slightly different to how Les used it as it was put back into general service with Norforce once he'd had it, it now has door tops, camo paint scheme, different tyres, different bumper and bull bar etc, but the base car is there. They said they didn't plan to change the vehicle or put it back to how he used it, but to keep it as-is. My sincerest thanks to the guys there for allowing me to spend so much time with the vehicle and talk to me about it. I gave the museum a nice little donation on the way out too. Cool

If you're ever in Darwin, drive out of town for ten minutes to East Point to the museum. If anyone wants to see any more photos here let me know.

Click image to enlarge
 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #638209 18th Jul 2017 10:05am
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
Fantastic to see that vehicle exists in good shape. I really enjoyed watching the programs and remember it being put through quite a lot. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #638227 18th Jul 2017 12:09pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
For anyone that's never seen it or unaware, here's a Youtube link to the very first episode which takes Les from Boroloola to Katherine in the Northern Territories, and through Arnhem Land. This exact Land Rover features heavily throughout.

2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #638231 18th Jul 2017 12:17pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I loved watching Les on telly as a kid. One of my heroes! It was great to see Ray Mears meet up with him on a showa few years ago too. I'd love to go exploring in outback Australia one day. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #638246 18th Jul 2017 2:35pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Ray Mears is clearly unknown in Australia. There's a plaque by the Land Rover with three photos, the last one is a shot of Les and Ray in camp and it says "Les and a mate in camp".

Ray Mears would be gutted! 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #638555 20th Jul 2017 6:33am
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
That was excellent really enjoyed watching as I know very little about the man.
Post #638561 20th Jul 2017 7:48am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1