↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > An Anoraks Tdi Defender 90
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 16 of 24 <123 ... 151617 ... 222324>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Thanks Smile I'm really pleased with the rubber mat. Once all of the carpet is in and it's fitted properly, it'll really look the part. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #637935 17th Jul 2017 7:25am
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Great progress... Looks good, like the rubber matting too Thumbs Up Thats all I have in mine front and back.. easier to clean.. brush the dirt out instead of having to Vac.. 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #637965 17th Jul 2017 11:33am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Just picked up on this,

Nice job with the carpet and seat / belts fitting. Looks great
Post #638465 19th Jul 2017 1:49pm
legin

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
Just read from the start nice to see jobs well done,look forward to seeing the carpet complete.Are you doing the same to the front or am I jumping the gun ?
Post #641698 3rd Aug 2017 7:08pm
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks Smile

Got the second wheel box covered this evening and will get the second seat bolted in tomorrow, all being well.

I'll be carpeting the bulkhead but the seat box and front floor will get a Hardura mat set over more Silentcoat. I've got some work to do to the floor before that though and I'm trying to stick to a plan of not doing abortive work, which mostly works ok Rolling Eyes Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #641769 3rd Aug 2017 9:34pm
LandRoverAnorak

So, more progress and the next small step completed. Firstly, I've covered the bare sides around the windows with 6mm acoustic foam. I'll be making some window trims to finish the sides off in due course but that's more involved so will wait for a while.

Click image to enlarge

Next, carpet was cut and stuck to the remaining wheel box and the second seat bolted in, in exactly the same manner as the first:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The seats are retained in their upright position by a short nylon strap with a clip hook on one end. However, as they came they weren't very tight and the length of the strap was fixed by a rivet and nut:

Click image to enlarge

I drilled out the rivet, shortened them slightly and sealed the ends with a lighted match and then threaded on slide buckles to make them adjustable:

Click image to enlarge

The only other thing I need to do is devise some way to stop the legs swinging when the seats are up, which I suspect will involve Velcro.

I'm pretty pleased with the result. The two seats are a good compromise between the capacity for passengers and cargo in the rear:

Click image to enlarge

Next jobs will be to prep the bulkhead by removing all of the redundant brackets and then covering with carpet and after that, carpeting the floor. I've also got a new stainless threshold for the rear door to finish that part off. Darren

Post #641946 4th Aug 2017 9:31pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
looking well neat that! Smile Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #641955 4th Aug 2017 11:35pm
LandRoverAnorak

It's getting there. It's certainly a lot different (and quieter!) than when I got it:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Post #641967 5th Aug 2017 5:36am
LandRoverAnorak

A decent day today saw me finally finish the carpet in the back. First job was to 'clean' the bulkhead by drilling out the rivets holding on various brackets for the original jack:

Click image to enlarge

After some careful measuring and cutting, a bulkhead shaped piece of carpet was created and the area masked up ready for gluing:

Click image to enlarge

And then after a small amount of faff, it was finally in place:

Click image to enlarge

Before fitting the final piece of carpet to the floor I removed the rear door cill, which involved far too much drilling and grinding Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

I was then left with 25 years of crap and corruption to clean up:

Click image to enlarge

Which soon looked much better after some scraping and attacking with some wire wool:

Click image to enlarge

The last piece of carpet was glued down and a new stainless cill installed over a new-ish rubber seal:

Click image to enlarge

The main rubber matt was then trimmed to size and reinstalled:

Click image to enlarge

Whilst I had the drill out I also took the opportunity to install some tie-down D rings, two on each side:

Click image to enlarge

Just got the trims for the sides of the hardtop to make to completely finish the rear interior. Oh, and make some security grills for the small rear windows. Next jobs will be maintenance though - replace a rattlely exhaust heat shield, repair the turbo heat shield and change the oil in the front axle. Darren

Post #646179 24th Aug 2017 9:52pm
L110CDL

England 
That is so much better with all the time and effort that went into the transformation, nice one LRA Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #646185 24th Aug 2017 10:12pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
that looks the part! what a pro job! Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #646214 25th Aug 2017 7:05am
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
Good work Bow down

I'm still deciding on whether to remove the bulkhead or not, afterwards I really want to sound deaden/carpet the rear 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #646215 25th Aug 2017 7:09am
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Looks lovely.. Great idea with the D rings. I wanted to put some in Alan but didn't want to drill though to the outside where they normally are.. Thumbs Up 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #646295 25th Aug 2017 4:23pm
LandRoverAnorak

Turbo Heat Shield
Thanks, all Very Happy

Had a spare hour this evening so thought I'd have a go at repairing my turbo heat shield. When I bought it, the heat shield was rattling but when I went to tighten it up it became apparent that it must have been like that for some time as it has worn holes in it:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I took it off altogether with the intention of buying a new one but it turns out that replacements seem to be unobtainable. I've been pondering what to do about it for a while and had read a couple of articles on the net where various unsuccessful repairs had been attempted. The shield is made out of some sort of fibre reinforced plastic and doesn't take well to exhaust paste or any sort of regular glue. Then, whilst browsing eBay (as you do), I came across some self-adhesive aluminium heat shield material for not a lot of money, which looked promising:

Click image to enlarge

This evening I set about cleaning up the heat shield, first with wire wool and then with Hyper Clean spray. I then cut a couple of patches for each worn area and stuck them on both sides of the shield so that they stuck to each other through the gaps:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I bolted the shield back in place with stainless bolts and penny washers on both sides of each mount to add a bit of reinforcement:

Click image to enlarge

Time will tell if it lasts. As the repair was cheap I won't have lost much if it doesn't but I'm cautiously optimistic. Darren

Post #646315 25th Aug 2017 6:03pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
my dads is the exactly the same, his was missing the bolt at the top, and we found that the down pipe was slack too making the full system move about. So a little spanner time we were good, i wonder if you can by the replacement heat shields still. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #646332 25th Aug 2017 7:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 16 of 24 <123 ... 151617 ... 222324>