↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Proctas Defender 300TDI
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 20 of 54 <123 ... 192021 ... 525354>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Profyaffle wrote:
Oh dear.. hopefully it won't be to fiddly.. can it be done one hinge at a time or do you have to take the door off?

Yeah, it can. I swapped the hinges on my drivers door a few months ago for exactly the same reason and did it one at a time. If you're going to buy new bolts, make sure to get matching captive nuts as the originals are Imperial. I sheared off two of the originals before realising my mistake Rolling Eyes Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #638081 17th Jul 2017 9:25pm
L110CDL

England 
Yes you can do one hinge at a time Whistle first you take the door card off , then you wined down the window fully then you can reach in from the outside to do the top hinge and then to do the bottom hinge you can A. get someone to hold the nuts on the inside while you undo from the outside or B. get something to step onto to reach down to hold the nuts on the inside so you can undo them, all the time the door is shut and then you have a good fit Wink Whistle 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #638099 17th Jul 2017 9:53pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Cheers LRA for the heads up, I can see mine been a pain to get out anyway. So I will just by the full blown kit before I go anywhere near! Less head aches the better! Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #638101 17th Jul 2017 9:54pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
well today I made a start on sorting out the exhaust system, I slackened off my down pipe from the manifold, and I will have to cut the two nuts and off where it meets the centre section.
Also I managed to repair a snapped bolt in the rad bracket, I needed up winding off the welded nut, so shoved a nice nut and bolt through. So another little job done Smile
Going to order off some service items, I think. Smile Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #639406 24th Jul 2017 5:15pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
What are you doing with your exhaust? staying standard, upgrading or repairing? 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #639665 25th Jul 2017 5:37pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Haha Profyaffle, you got in there before I got the chance to do a thread update Smile Anyway I will answer your question, with the two updates. Wink
Exhaust, Right another item that's bugged me, Is the CAT! Why the hell do they shove these on Diesels is beyond me!
My 306 HDI had one on and it got binned, best upgrade I ever did to the car. Made such a difference in turbo spool and lower end power.
So I have now done the same thing to TDI, Smile Bought a replacement pipe and set to work. Only took 30 mins to fit, just as easy to fit as the 306 exhaust system!

Anyway I pulled the pipe off

Click image to enlarge

it has seen better days has it not!

Click image to enlarge

the replacement unit

Click image to enlarge

All bolted in place and I started the engine just to check if there was any blows or rattles.

Click image to enlarge

Everything is spot on!
While things were moving one great, I thought why not replace the quarter supports with the galvanised quarter supports that I had won on ebay and got painted at work.
Mind my old ones were rotten!

Click image to enlarge

the passenger side one had been repaired!

Click image to enlarge

Replaced them with these

Click image to enlarge

on the car with new nuts and bolts

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

So all is good Very Happy
I took her out for a quick test, and I tell you something, its about 10 to 15% faster! She picks up in her gears better than before! due to the fact she can rev better now, and she is a little quicker off the mark too, and picks up a lot better in second gear too.
She was well sluggish in 1st and 2nd gear, when I got her. But I think its been to do with the EGR system, also since I have put in an ITG filter and the last upgrade ( DECAT) She really is now on the money! Pokey as my dads 200 TDI ( known to me as our Terr)

I am researching brakes upgrade as I do have a imbalance, also I am looking at another cosmetic change too at the front.
its nice to start moving on with things now Smile
I have to adjust the tappets though as she is very tappy when on the move. I will have to do some reading on that, as that scares me Embarassed Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #639694 25th Jul 2017 7:17pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Great work.. It's good that you've noticed an increase in performance.. makes it all worthwhile Thumbs Up 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #639921 26th Jul 2017 5:58pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
going to do a oil and filter change too at some point this week, when I buy the oil. So that I can tick that off the list.
Also I will push forwards for my brake upgrade after confirming with L110CDL on what he ran. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #639972 26th Jul 2017 9:15pm
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
Good work matey Thumbs Up 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #639974 26th Jul 2017 9:19pm
L110CDL

England 
Your tappet noise, where do you fill up with diesel for your landy ? 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #640019 26th Jul 2017 11:04pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
I fill up at my local shell, now and again i use BP. I will not shove supermarket Censored in, i know there are mixed reviews on that, but from my experience with three cars, two petrol and one diesel. Supermarket fuel made them run like a bag of Censored .

Could that be something to do with the fuel? Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #640029 26th Jul 2017 11:53pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
well today I had to back off with facelift/ upgrade before it went any further. I am going to need some replacement parts by the looks of things, before I go anywhere near the lights!
Anyway after been worried about how to go about servicing the defender, I just took it at a stage at a time, i know its daft. but i haven't changed a fuel filter on a mech pump diesel. The oil change is simple enough though, but by Christ it must have needed it!
The oil that was in it had seen better days, fuel filter was clean enough so no worries about any dodgy Censored in the system.
So i have nice moble 2000 15w 40 in now and the engine is quiet as my hdi practically now! Nice and smooth idle too and no where near as clattery as it was before. So it could have been the old oil making her tap? we will see when i take her out,
She was a little clattery when i started her up just to make sure all is well, ran her for a little bit, then powered off and checked and topped up. started her up and little her run for a while and she is well smooth now on tickover. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #640400 28th Jul 2017 8:31pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
My dad took her out last night for a quick test, and we did confirm that the tappets need a little tweak. like I say I don't know when these were last looked at either and she has got 120k on her clock now.
He said she is lively and pulling well now since we 1st got her, So we are going in the right direction! Very Happy
Just the little things that make the difference isn't it Smile Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #640511 29th Jul 2017 1:19pm
L110CDL

England 
You certainly are Procta going in the right direction Thumbs Up glad you dont use supermarket fuel Wink i know as well about all that Wink it wont hurt to do the tappets, another little job that when you have done it, it will be done properly Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #640609 29th Jul 2017 11:17pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
I think I will get my work mate to help me, with the tappets I don't think my dads to sure or too keen on the idea. He thinks its something else now lol.
I have my brake upgrade and service items on order! Very Happy I have decided to leave the rear 110 upgrade off, and put the extra towards something else for it. I am going to need some odds and sods for the front lights. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #640629 30th Jul 2017 1:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 20 of 54 <123 ... 192021 ... 525354>