United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
See your answer in the context of this:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/08/...H0Qr72V.97

Jaguar Land Rover plans to cut costs by 4.5 billion pounds: Sunday Times

Imaginatively titled - Leap 4.5 Sad
Post #470892 9th Nov 2015 9:41am
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
“I would suggest nuts and bolts and general hardware are bought from the lowest bidder”

I would suggest that every single manufacturer buys every single out-sourced component from the lowest bidder - they're hardly gonna buy from the highest, are they?

Al Shepherd, the first American in space in 1961, commented that his concern was “The fact that every part of this ship was built by the low bidder”

Peter
Post #470972 9th Nov 2015 3:02pm
Jonno

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
No they are hardly going to buy from the highest bidder however one would hope they apply a level of quality control to their purchases which might exclude the lowest offers.
Post #472529 14th Nov 2015 9:18pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
just think all those spacers, big wheels and low profile tyres are increasing the risk of this failing !! not to mention adding more weight to the front such as winches , steering guards and the like. Very disappointing that LR are getting it wrong after all these years DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #472532 14th Nov 2015 9:32pm
mayto

Australia 
I received my letter 3 weeks ago telling me Landrover will do the PO48 bracket fix. Like many, I was concerned by the language used in the letter and the "fix" proposed, so queried this immediately with Landrover Aus. I said I wasn't happy, wanted the replacement axle casing (PO47) and asked them to pick up the car - which they did - on the understanding that the type of "fix" would be worked out. They dropped a hre car off for me in the meantime.
After several phone calls and emails, Landrover Aus tell me:

"Land Rover Technical Engineers in the United Kingdom have developed P048 as the adequate solution for this issue.

P047 will not be performed on your vehicle and as previously mentioned, we are required by law to carry out P048 before your vehicle can be released.

P048 will be completed once you have provided authorisation to commence.

Assuring you of our best attention at all times."

So I can't get the defect in my car fixed in a responsible manner, and they won't let me have my car back. They also said they won't pay for the hire car any more.

Has anyone been more successful than me with Landrover Australia Customer Services?
Very keen to know ...[/i]
Post #472950 16th Nov 2015 4:33am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
This has been known about for a year now and Land Rover still haven't contacted me about it.
They obviously don't care that much.
Post #473057 16th Nov 2015 2:45pm
Alien

Australia 
mayto wrote:
I received my letter 3 weeks ago telling me Landrover will do the PO48 bracket fix. Like many, I was concerned by the language used in the letter and the "fix" proposed, so queried this immediately with Landrover Aus. I said I wasn't happy, wanted the replacement axle casing (PO47) and asked them to pick up the car - which they did - on the understanding that the type of "fix" would be worked out. They dropped a hre car off for me in the meantime.
After several phone calls and emails, Landrover Aus tell me:

"Land Rover Technical Engineers in the United Kingdom have developed P048 as the adequate solution for this issue.

P047 will not be performed on your vehicle and as previously mentioned, we are required by law to carry out P048 before your vehicle can be released.

P048 will be completed once you have provided authorisation to commence.

Assuring you of our best attention at all times."

So I can't get the defect in my car fixed in a responsible manner, and they won't let me have my car back. They also said they won't pay for the hire car any more.

Has anyone been more successful than me with Landrover Australia Customer Services?
Very keen to know ...[/i]

I spoke to the head man at LR Assist after going up the tree with understanding to this point.
I was told that if the casing was to start leaking or worse after the bracket was fitted new housing could be fitted but it would still need to be considered by JLR.
I bought this unit for our more remote travel and asked about recovery etc. when the issue develops.
I asked at this point for it to be considered given I tow and do heavier work with the Defender.
I got told we'll fit the brackets only and fairly much that was repeated as I tried to discuss things further.
It was suggested that if I had an issue I should get it towed to the nearest LR dealer for inspection and consideration.
I asked who pays for this recovery from Birdsville/Simpson/Anne Bedeal Tk and got....your normal road side assist.
I'll make contact with Ryan on here tomorrow and see what the real story is. Cheers,
Kyle.
Post #473362 17th Nov 2015 5:32am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Found the following in relation to safety in the US:

"The agency notes that 32,675 people lost their lives on U.S. roadways in 2014, though driver choices and human error accounted for 94% of the deaths, with 6% due to environmental factors and improper maintenance and auto "defects" identified as the unique cause in under 1% of cases."

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: http://news.investors.com/technology/01151...z3xP9BdmSd
Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook

So less than 1% sounds good but then you realise it means nearly 326 people and their families...
Post #492896 16th Jan 2016 12:10pm
Flyingfocrs

Scotland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Just received the recall letter for P048 and to take the 110 into be "fixed"
Only 2 years after it was issued!
Suspect that when the recall was originally issued it went to the previous owner as I got the 110 in January 2015 they're now doing a second recall to catch the ones that missed it the first time.
Post #561862 6th Sep 2016 3:12pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Me too! Irony is the Defender was stolen 19 months ago.
I can only hope one of the swivel housing flanges let go whilst the ba*****s were heading to the container port at speed.
Just so long as they didn't injure any innocent bystanders at the time.
Post #561871 6th Sep 2016 3:49pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
does anyone know the part numbers for the brackets? DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #637195 12th Jul 2017 8:42pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
In the P048 PDF linked in post #1  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #637196 12th Jul 2017 8:43pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
LR90XS2011 wrote:
does anyone know the part number for the brackets

LR068818 LH bracket, LR068822 RH bracket. Regular price c.�50 each but there is at least one pair on eBay at present for c.�30 each.

Last edited by blackwolf on 20th Jun 2022 3:08pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #637220 12th Jul 2017 10:47pm
MikeJ

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Fuji White
I have a 130 with a heavy cherry picker on the back.

Click image to enlarge

The unladen weight is about 3.2 tonnes, so everything gets a pounding - and a lot of the work takes place off road.

Last week, I spotted a leak from the front axle, which I initially thought was the pinion seal (and replaced it).
It turns out there is a crack in the weld in the front face of the axle:

Click image to enlarge

The grey patch is a bit of chemical metal as a get us home repair - not very successful.
The VIN is outside this recall notice, and the end welds look fine to the naked eye.
Anybody have any experience of this failure?
I'm having no luck with the local dealer in terms of linking to this recall.

Mike
Post #641090 1st Aug 2017 9:51am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I have not seen nor heard of that weld failing before, and sadly I fear that it is unlikely that LR will show the slightest interest. No doubt it is the result of constant operation at or near GVW, and I suspect that the only way LR would be at all interested is if (a) the cherry picker was a Landrover Special Vehicles conversion and (b) if it was still under warranty. I suppose that it is possible that whoever fitted the cherry-picker (if it wasn't LR SV) might show some concern.

It is very disappointing though that the times have come when a Defender starts to fall apart when used as intended, and is a reflection on how the standards of engineering, and indeed just decent corporate behaviour, have fallen to rock bottom.

I suspect that a new axle tube is your best solution, and I wonder if it might be worth welding some reinforcement on before fitting. Military axles traditionally have reinforcement welded under the tube to better resist the inevitable bending moment along the tube, which is, I suspect, what has done for yours.

How old is the vehicle, and is it under LR or the convertor's warranty still?
Post #641112 1st Aug 2017 11:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 37 <123 ... 678 ... 353637>