↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > UK firearm owners could fight back in terror attack.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
alwoodley72

England 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Alaska White
i believe that figures show that you're more likely to be killed with your own gun/knife/nuclear missile than to use it on someone else- if you're not carrying.... on a plane an unarmed terrorist would then only need to overpower the armed chap and bobs your uncle..
I think we still live in this country by the old motto of 2 wrongs don't make a right, it's a hard one to stick to, and our American cousins don't feel the need, I fear.

Cheers. Alex 98 300 tdi 90 project
94 Range Rover vogue 4.2 lse
79 911 sc
08 130 double cab utility
Post #636954 11th Jul 2017 4:48pm
Lateralus

United States 
I believe airlines should have the right to let their customers carry firearms if they are legal gun owners. Regardless of the danger a discharge in the cabin poses, the ability to thwart an attack on a building or skyscraper and save more lives would be ideal.

It's interesting that the consensus among Europeans here on guns is that they are too dangerous for the public based on past incidents and study's and it's no surprise that your governments views on gun ownership are similar and very strict.

But Europeans generally speaking don't take that stand on importing people from lands who favor sharia law and who's religious affiliation is shared by the majority of terrorists worldwide.

So Europeans are more likely to give Muslim immigrants from country's who practice sharia, the benefit of the doubt but distrust their own law abiding countrymen and women with the responsibility of owning and using firearms.

Everyone knows that most Muslims are generally peaceful, law abiding and decent to other males and non gay Muslims but so are gun owners. If you're going to assume the refugees you take in will be law abiding and assimilate than why not afford that trust to your fellow countrymen who want more gun ownership liberty.
Post #636961 11th Jul 2017 6:15pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
There may be problems with our immigration policy, but allowing people to carry firearms in public would in no way help that situation. To try and link the two is bizarre logic. Also, these heinous terrorist attackes are not always carried out by people born in other lands. The Westminster Attacker was not an immigrant, the Manchester attacker was not an immigrant, and Leigh Rigby killers were not immigrants. The London Bridge attackers were.

The US has a continuous and long standing history and culture of gun ownership which does not translate to the UK. I am a member of a US based forum related to another hobby of mine and the casual discussion threads with titles like "Which holster is best for open carry?" and "Recommend a personal protection pistol for my wife" are mind boggling to me. There was recently a discussion in there amongst folk who insist on having a pistol within arms reach of the front door just in case. If life is that dangerous, I'd move house!

Bear in mind that most police officers here are still unarmed other than a baton and pepper spray. Tasers are becoming more common for officers to carry, but cops with guns are still usually only seen at railway stations, airports etc. Something this country should be very proud of. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #636966 11th Jul 2017 6:43pm
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Following similar US style logic, should the US. UK and EU arm all 12 -18 year old with knives to reduce knife crimes. give them them right to defend themselves, I don't think so.

Its about having gun control, not gun un-control. When its as easy to buy a gun as it is to buy a piazza, personally i view that as uncontrolled. Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #636967 11th Jul 2017 6:43pm
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
I dont wish to be rude Lateralus but I find your views to be beyond insane.

Last edited by Riverboy on 12th Jul 2017 2:03am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #637050 11th Jul 2017 10:58pm
Slideywindows

England 
Whilst I agree with some of what our US colleague has said, I cannot support widespread gun ownership in the UK.

It is a clash of cultures. Living sort of halfway between Moscow and Washington it is sometimes hard to choose between a culture that shoots its own journalists and a culture that shoots its own schoolchildren.

A US Senator who supports the gun lobby said: "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun".

Clearly his intelligence is not the best.

1. How do you tell if its a good guy facing you with the gun? Does he have "good guy" tattooed on his forehead?

2. What if the "good guy" gets into a messy divorce, gets unfairly dismissed from his job, gets into a road rage incident or falls out with his neighbour? Can we be sure he will stay a "good guy"?

3. What if a good guy, even one in uniform, turns bad? A while ago in the US, a uniformed police officer went on a rampage and had to be found and shot by other Police officers.

The most effective way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to stop him having easy access to a gun.

This subject is close to my heart, as I hold both a Shotgun Licence and a Firearms Certificate. I am glad that in this country this is a privilege I have to earn, and is not a right.
Post #637059 11th Jul 2017 11:29pm
Lateralus

United States 
1)We don't typically walk around openly carrying. Some do where it's legal and get some flak by police for inducing panic on the public. Most of us carry concealed and are licensed by our state's. If you see a civilian out in public holding a pistol or rifle at the ready, that's a red flag.

2)Nothing in life is certain. A law abiding gun owner can turn bad just as a law enforcement officer can. Americans have determined that they want the freedom over the security and the equality firearms bring to violent scenarios.

3)Bad things happen all of the time. If your going to gamble on letting refugees in your country with vastly different values than the community, why not give law abiding people more power over their safety?

Americans have access to guns and always have. The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. You can think it's reckless or foolish to say but it's true for America and lots of other places as well.

I appreciate the exchange of ideas with you guys even if we passionately disagree. It's good to question and debate.
Post #637070 12th Jul 2017 3:18am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
When did the US last have a meaningful debate about gun ownership? (Different from every post mass shooting throwing up of hands). Would a public vote in the US today back the status quo?

It defies logic to put faith in 'good guys' to beat 'bad guys'. What test is applied to define a good guy - IQ / faith / sexual orientation / colour? Who applies the test, 60 year old white Republican NRA backed senators? Good old boys.....
Post #637074 12th Jul 2017 6:18am
David T

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Would'nt it be great if we could trust all those who use guns, drugs, religion, fast cars or whatever to behave in a sensible manner? Unfortunately though, for every 1000 sensible gun owners, there will be one who wants to kill someone. For every 1000 smackheads there'll be one who needs to rob an old lady to score, for every 1000 religious zealots there'll be one who'd like to blow himself and a few unbelievers to pieces and, for every 1000 of the Lamborghini owners here in Harrogate, there'll be one who has to defy the speed limit on the bypass.
In other words, we have to legislate for the stoned, gun-toting, Huracan driving, hate preaching nutters. I'm OK with that. If anyone feels safer with a gun to protect themselves they can go live happily in the U.S. No problem.
Post #637077 12th Jul 2017 7:10am
proloForêt

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
^^
but if you are going to do a ban for against the guns, then you must also to do a ban against the fast cars, old people caring staff, religion preachers and everything?
Post #637078 12th Jul 2017 7:21am
David T

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Who said ban it all? Not me.
Post #637079 12th Jul 2017 7:29am
Lateralus

United States 
Hutt, I see the issue is political for you as it is for many here. They see gun owners as NRA members and republicans who must be defeated. You can count on their excitement when a mass shooting occurs because they just know that this time their politcal enemies will lose their right to constitutional rights.

"It defies logic to put faith in good guys to defeat bad guys". Exactly. You cant pull a law enforcement officer out of your pocket in any dire circumstance. It's a natural right to be able to defend yourself with lethal force if necessary.

The NRA may only court republicans but there are many gun owners in America from all colors and creeds, religions and sexual orientations. We have gay gun groups, religious gun groups and so on.

A public vote in America on gun ownership would favor the status quo. In fact over the last 17 years major wins across the country, state by state have resulted in more freedoms concerning conceal carry.More and more States are allowing it. Our last president was responsible for major increases in the production of firearms, ammo sales and the public's general interest in exercising their right to own guns. Because of his rhetoric on guns in America and his choice in attorney general, Americans voted with their wallets. Ammo shortages were commonplace not long ago because demand was so high. The NRA and firearms industry owe much to President Obama.
Post #637080 12th Jul 2017 7:32am
flydive

Switzerland 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Heritage Edition SW Grasmere Green
I'm pro guns, have few, go regularly to the range.

Yet, I do not feel the need to carry when I go shopping.

I also do not buy the "if everybody had a gun we all be safer"

I the case of the Bataclan or the Florida club, for example, if everybody had a gun and pulled it, who would you shoot, how do you tell who is the good guy? In a dark club, with loud noise, people that have been drinking, etc. good luck.
Post #637088 12th Jul 2017 8:59am
Low-Range

Canada 
It is a sad fact that in societies that ban or severely restrict firearms the few who have "illegal guns" are the criminals. And so much is made about tailoring laws based on hysteria of the moment. That happened here in Canada after the sad spree of a deranged ex-boyfriend at a Montreal University. A whole bureaucracy was set up to register and control firearms, which proved to be inaccurate and all but useless in solving any crime. In fact I don't believe any crime was solved using the data from registration. So few crimes are committed by good citizens as to be statistically insignificant. As well, in most of these cases if a gun wasn't used a blunt object would be the weapon of expediency and by default, choice. Now 25 years or so after the incident, registration of longarms is a thing of the past.[/size]
Do I want everyone to carry, NO. But I cant say I'm against an armed citizenry. See Denmark, Sweden etc.

Click image to enlarge
Post #651552 20th Sep 2017 5:26pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Mr Fox wrote:
Riverboy wrote:
The laws are there for a very good reason and should stay as they are. The best argument against bearing arms is the USA. Who in their right mind would want Europe to become like them. Rolling Eyes Just look at Rallymental's picture above.

It is too easy to use the USA as an example of gun violence; however, as proloForêt has mentioned, people on both sides of the argument ignore Canada.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2378037/gun-viol...d-compare/

Canadian gun law and the result of it, should make the American's question where/how they are getting it wrong and, perhaps, give pause for thought as to how the ownership of firearms could be managed more effectively than an outright ban on handguns in the UK.

One word, culture. The Canadians have a much more U.K./European biased culture than the US in terms of law making, liberal politics, education etc. Having worked extensively with both Armed Forces whilst I was serving, their mentalities are poles apart. I was attached to the USMC in Baghdad in '04 and they are by far the most professional and well trained ground troops the US has, when ignoring SF. However, this didn't mean they didn't have some worrying traits, habits, tactics that would appall most European soldiers. Head lower down the food-chain, to Army, then National Guard and then Civilian contractor and things only got worse/more agressive/more cliched. I have a very, very long list of things I witnessed that can only come from culture, a culture beyond that merely of Military Indoctrination. I've been on training sortees private security helicopter flights in which they practiced tactics to throw grenades out of the helo. I've been in the same helos as they've flown under Baghdads Crossed Swords returning to Baghdad for a laugh. I've been in Helos playing rock and roll on speakers. I've been in Thai restaurants playing rock and roll with knocking shops upstairs, right beside the US's main field hospital, Blackhawks landing and off-loading limbless GIs whilst contractors and US Army fought over girls, scenes straight out of a Vietnam war movie. I've seen steroid fueled Marines pump iron wearing shoulder holsters, 'because you never know when they might attack you'. I met southern-state Vietnam Vets straight out of their trailers driving trucks who you could smell had been itching for a conflict they could be involved in since the draft in Da Nang in '69, tooled up to the eyeballs wearing Harley Davidson or regimental t-shirts with the sleeves cut off, cowboy boots on, gringo-tash, greasy trucker cap. I've been invited by a Texan, cigar smoking, twin ivory handle colt shoulder holster wearing, cowboy hat sporting USMC general to come and 'watch the fight' in Ramadi where we sat in fishing chairs on the banks of the Euphrates watching tracer and listening to automatic gunfire as a unit went through house clearances in the town centre. I've been in a USMC Chinook as it left Baghdad for Fallujah in which the rear door gunner asked the pilot (as a guest I was given the spare headset) to test fire his weapon, an M60 (thankfully not a .50cal), which was granted and which he proceeded to fire into Baghdad's Sadr City. I sat in the back of a US ARMY Hummer in Ramadi on a patrol and saw more ammo than my entire Battalion would have got on deployment and certainly entirely unaccountable. I was issued 120 rounds, (4 x30 round magazines), which I had counted out and had to count back in at the end. This hummer had so much I could barely see the guy to my left in the rear. 9mm, 5.56, .50cal. Boxes and boxes. But it's because their SOP if ambushed was to turn towards the direction of threat, let go with as much lead as possible (all 4-8 Hummers in a wolf pack) and drive like hell still firing. I saw one piece of video whilst out there in which the Hummers were patrolling at perhaps 30kmh, were attacked from the flank, turned all arms in the direction and started firing and continued doing so for 3-4 minutes as they drove from the ambush point at 60+km/h. A good 3kms+ of constant fire. list goes on an on. Their culture is of muscle, of might, of fighting, of guns, of shooting first and asking later. Of bandanas and rock and roll, of pretending they're in a movie rather than a professional fighting unit, of image and looking cool rather than worrying about getting the job done as professionally as possible. This extends, imo, to everyday life and as far as the gun toting masses of middle and lower America are concerned, it's no different. All the BS of 'war' and 'heroes' with US Police now wearing military attire on the streets of the US. Guns, guns, guns. And if you have an association with the Mil-it-tar-ree, you're a hero. Free drinks all night in a BBQ shack last year in Dallas because someone spotted my H4H wrist band and discovered I'd served with the USMC. Just nuts. Baghdad more than anything taught me that Churchill's comment that the U.K. And US are two nations separated by a common language couldn't be more true. I discovered I have far more in common with Canadians, but more so Spanish, Dutch, Norwegians etc that I also served with. Just don't get me started on the French. Just joking. So America's gun problem is down to their gun-toting, shoot first, shoot anything, dammit shootings just great fun, culture. Other nations have higher gun ownership than the US but don't have the same problem. Not something I think we'd see here, even if we did have more relaxed gun licensing rules than current. Sorry for the rant. They have a biiiiig problem as evidenced by the shooting of the student last week holding a Leatherman. Very, very sad and it's not going to change soon. Shocked Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #651588 20th Sep 2017 7:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>