↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Alloy and Grit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
VeeTee

Netherlands 
Subscribed Thumbs Up Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #631645 15th Jun 2017 6:25pm
ini88

United States 
CY88 wrote:
These guys have a great vision! Nice to see the postal has come down to the UK too Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Thanks Very Happy
Post #637065 12th Jul 2017 12:33am
BCdefender

Canada 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Orkney Grey
Has anyone read the summer issue? Who are these guys? The articles are unreal. Well balanced, interesting, topical. Not to be overly zealous but they have an entire interview with the lawyer in the US who fought to get people's defenders back and another with the the evolution of the LR V8s with photos showing all the differences. Just awesome. 1999 Defender 110
2003 P38
2007 RR SC

"And that's why it needs to be celebrated, because when the Defender goes we'll have lost this pointer to where we came from, and we're really going to miss it."

My build thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic47750.html
Post #641907 4th Aug 2017 5:43pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #641908 4th Aug 2017 5:55pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
I have the first 3 editions and I'm liking the style I must say. It's sufficiently Trans-Atlantic to be interesting from a UK perspective whilst obviously needing to focus on North America. Lots of generic interest articles too.

I also enjoyed the article on the lawyer, especially as I have imported a ninety into North America, luckily without troubles.

I'll be continuing my subscription, and probably dropping LRO.

Well done to the writers and publishers!
Post #641925 4th Aug 2017 7:49pm
adm2243

Wales 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Indus Silver
Subscribed and looking forward to getting first issue Smile
Post #641930 4th Aug 2017 8:52pm
ini88

United States 
Thank you all for the kind words and support! We are a very small operation/magazine with just four guys on staff. We try to bring some interesting and different articles across Land Rover's very broad lineup from Series Ones to Range Rover L405s. We all work full-time jobs so its a labor of love from us four.

And just to let you know we are Series and Defender owners that really use our trucks. I drive my 1955 Series One almost daily Smile

From one enthusiasts to another, we love the UK, EU, AUS, SA & Canadian support! If anyone knows any good distributors we would love to team up so our shipping costs abroad can be brought down in price so everyone can enjoy our magazine.

Instagram - @alloyandgrit
Post #641931 4th Aug 2017 8:53pm
BCdefender

Canada 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Orkney Grey
I just finished reading the Spring 2018 issue. The Gerry McGovern interview was insightful. It was enlightening to see where his head is at. He made one comment in the article which was a bit disturbing:

"While I respect our traditionalists, we have to be careful we're not preoccupied with designing a vehicle just for them. Because to be honest, they love the Defender they've got and they'll probably die with it. They probably won't buy the new one."

I understand that he must be a great designer because he's done a lot for the company in terms of designing new Land Rovers that has sold at volume. My issue is that the above statement does not seem to be rooted in reality. Is this site a haven for traditionalists? Maybe. How does an enthusiast compare to a traditionalist? There must be at least some overlap. The reason I bring it up is that when the DC100 was introduced there was a lengthy list of people on this site who put their name down on a pre-sale list.

I accept the idea that I will die in my current Defender. I have put way too much blood, sweat and tears to make it perfect for me. I absolutely reject the idea that as a traditionalist or enthusiast I will not buy the new one. I'm actually saving up for one just in case in tics all the boxes for what I am looking for.

Just my two cents...

Oh and the article under Field Skills - Kinetic Rope was also very useful. Not exhaustive but just enough information to keep me out of trouble! 1999 Defender 110
2003 P38
2007 RR SC

"And that's why it needs to be celebrated, because when the Defender goes we'll have lost this pointer to where we came from, and we're really going to miss it."

My build thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic47750.html
Post #699202 7th Apr 2018 5:53pm
JeremyJ

United Kingdom 
Haven’t had a chance to read it yet, mine arrived same time as latest Overland Journal Very Happy
Post #699232 7th Apr 2018 7:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12