↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Grumpy Old Man Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 196 of 265 <123 ... 195196197 ... 263264265>
Print this entire topic · 
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Auto Fixing Centres in general in my experience are a licence to rip the general public off.

I had a school friend who worked for one and his wages were dependant on what he could flog. You come in for a battery, he will make sure that you go out with 4 new tyres and a set of shocks because they were "dangerously worn, Sir"

Now, I drove a Company Car for the last twenty odd years and you then find a different side to these 'Auto Fixing Centres'. With leasing companies, I believe that they have to hold the tyres they replace for a certain time, and the the same leasing companies can inspect or ask for the tyres to be sent to them. You never got the old "your shocks are dangerously worn, Sir" as they know that they don't have a hope in hell of getting the work. The tyres also need to be 2mm or less and the "technicians" err on the side of tread which is great when the garage tells you the week after getting your tyres checked that one of them is illegal and the other bordering illegal.

I have been sent out on a tyre with a damaged bead, I have been sent out on tyres which weren't balanced correctly (went back to complain to be told their wheel balancing machine was faulty so they hadn't bothered doing it), had the tracking adjusted to find out a week latter that the track rod ends were rusty and seized, the list goes on. And these were all from different companies.

Now I am not naive, I realise that the lease companies screw the price of tyres down to the absolute minimum and individual branches don't make any money on these motors (whilst they could be ripping off a member of the public). I'm sure there are some good ones but I try and stick with independents where I can and always get really good advice and service.
Post #634311 29th Jun 2017 8:42am
Rallymental

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Simple grump

Censored STUDENTS!!! Evil or Very Mad The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.
Solihull, 1948 - "If we paint the chassis, it will last for years"
Solihull, 2015 - "If we paint the chassis.............................
Post #635523 4th Jul 2017 12:13pm
David T

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
"political correctness" 😒 (or the manipulation of it)

Reading this morning that a member of the England ladies football team ( she also happens to be a lawyer ) has played the racism card to drop Mark Sampson in the 💩 and get herself £80,000 and some publicity.
Meanwhile, the caring-sharing Leader of the Labour Party, Mr Corbyn, has given Sarah Champion her marching orders for stating the blindingly obvious truth. That Britain has a problem with Asian men grooming and raping white girls.
Post #644620 17th Aug 2017 8:11am
Slideywindows

England 
There is now so much we are not allowed to say, that it is beginning to give the lie to the statement that we are a country of free speech.

It is an unfortunate fact that free speech does often involve upsetting somebody, somewhere.

As long as they have the freedom to respond, we should not interfere with free speech.

There is a whole political class that refuse to understand this.

They are only "liberal" as long as you do not make the mistake of disagreeing with them! Twisted Evil

(I guess I am extra grumpy today, as I bust a half-shaft last night! Big Cry)
Post #644642 17th Aug 2017 11:09am
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Almost everyone wants to point a finger at someone for something.
I'm glad I'm old. Won't have to live through it for much longer. Sad 
Post #644655 17th Aug 2017 12:16pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
David T wrote:
"political correctness"

Slideywindows wrote:
There is now so much we are not allowed to say, that it is beginning to give the lie to the statement that we are a country of free speech.

Big Cry)

Free Speech! It is not the words, that is not the establishments real problem, never has been. It’s the reasons why we say it and our freedom to say it that they really have a dislike of.

It’s the real end game of political correctness. If you control the language you control the conversation and if you control the conversation you can eliminate from a dialogue any ideology and the right to say what you think. Once you eliminate those and we are nearly there as some words are becoming outlawed the PC brigade has won. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #644656 17th Aug 2017 12:27pm
David T

I find it rather bewildering that Lefty so-called "liberals" will shriek and wave placards at anything they perceive as wrong and scream "fascist" "racist" "misogynist" or "homophobe" at someone whilst they're perfectly happy to refer to people like me as "f*****g Tory scum" or "middle-class Tory c**t"

Fortunately we don't have many Labour Party fans here Harrogate, the recent Corbyn4PM rally attracting a crowd of around 50 people, mostly retired geography teachers or psuedo-intellectual social workers along with a few sulking kids and a tramp.
Post #644669 17th Aug 2017 1:41pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
^^^^^ Sounds about right, they lost the plot.
They don't even support working people anyway, the party of foreign labour.. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. β›½οΈπŸ›’οΈπŸ‘¨β€πŸ”§πŸ§°βš™οΈ RED, WHITE & BOOST! πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
Post #644671 17th Aug 2017 1:51pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
David T wrote:
I find it rather bewildering that Lefty so-called "liberals" will shriek and wave placards at anything they perceive as wrong and scream "fascist" "racist" "misogynist" or "homophobe" at someone whilst they're perfectly happy to refer to people like me as "f*****g Tory scum" or "middle-class Tory c**t"

Fortunately we don't have many Labour Party fans here Harrogate, the recent Corbyn4PM rally attracting a crowd of around 50 people, mostly retired geography teachers or psuedo-intellectual social workers along with a few sulking kids and a tramp.

Strongly recommend you watch the following Timewatch documentary by the excellent David Olusoga and see just how many of the character traits of the recent infamous despots (Hitler, Stalin, Castro, Gaddafi and Hussein) relate directly to those of Corbyn, notably during his recent election campaigning. Worrying stuff... Shocked

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08z02nl Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #644674 17th Aug 2017 2:13pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
David T wrote:

Fortunately we don't have many Labour Party fans here Harrogate, the recent Corbyn4PM rally attracting a crowd of around 50 people, and a tramp.

And a tramp, he may at times look like one! But thats no way to refer to Mr Corbyn... Rolling with laughter For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #644713 17th Aug 2017 4:52pm
David T

Yes, Grenadier, an interesting programme, thanks.
Corbers seems to appeal to the envy-driven who not only want everything without having to work for it, but want everything taking away from those who have worked for it. If he wins an election then fair enough, the country gets what it deserves but I personally hope he never gets near 10 Downing St. I'm 100% convinced that, if he does, Argentinian warships will be anchored off Port Stanley within months, likewise Spanish tanks parked on the Gib' border.

I'll be sat outside a bar in Lucca 🇮🇹 'cos if he's running the country, I'm off, Saluti!!

Click image to enlarge

Plenty of Land Rovers there Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #644718 17th Aug 2017 5:08pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Gilarion - Where is that Razor. Whistle Diesel$ Live$ Matter. β›½οΈπŸ›’οΈπŸ‘¨β€πŸ”§πŸ§°βš™οΈ RED, WHITE & BOOST! πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
Post #644719 17th Aug 2017 5:09pm
David T

gilarion wrote:
David T wrote:

Fortunately we don't have many Labour Party fans here Harrogate, the recent Corbyn4PM rally attracting a crowd of around 50 people, and a tramp.

And a tramp, he may at times look like one! But thats no way to refer to Mr Corbyn... Rolling with laughter

To be fair, Harrogate's tramps are usually quite smart due to the upmarket contents of the local charity shops.

edit: I see the footballing lady mentioned above has lost her racism claim, a victory for common sense. I wonder if she'll have to hand the £80k back.

Last edited by David T on 18th Aug 2017 7:23am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #644721 17th Aug 2017 5:20pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Why is the ups site so pants Evil or Very Mad they can't give me a better idea than a 4 hour window and it won't let me sign up to change my delivery choice unless I live in America Rolling Eyes so it's drop the mrs defender off at the dealers (that we've been trying to sort for three months) or stay in for a delivery Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #644802 18th Aug 2017 12:33am
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #644805 18th Aug 2017 5:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 196 of 265 <123 ... 195196197 ... 263264265>