↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Defender TD5 Viscous fan noisy on start up.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Retrostu

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Defender TD5 Viscous fan noisy on start up.
As above really my defender has started to make a noise via the viscous fan when I first started up is this just due to the hot weather even though I haven't used it all day until the evening.

It's never done it before and last time I heard it it was from my range Rover sport which did it for just a moment and then shut up but now my defender has the same issue is this normal do I need to be worried or just a sign that it's working as it should due to the bodywork and engine by getting so warm in the hot sun during the day any advice gratefully received thanks. It's more important to concentrate on what's ahead of you than what you have left behind.

This is what I keep watching to remind me why I own/keep my Defender. https://youtu.be/x4DZgOcgn1s
Post #634006 28th Jun 2017 7:08am
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
A viscous fan by design will pull more air on start-up then when running for a short while as the oil is not even distributed over the whole system. However I don't hear that with my td5, so you might have to check if yours is still in a good condition. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #634021 28th Jun 2017 8:07am
Clive

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
Could be a sign of a failing viscous coupling, I had the same on one of my previous Td5s, it gradually got worse until it locked up permanently, the dealer replaced the viscous fan under warranty.
Post #634116 28th Jun 2017 2:20pm
Retrostu

Right we are then to be honest I did remove fan to do a coolant change to get to get to pipe clip easily maybe I have disturbed something on the fan when I removed it.

But I do seem to remember being very careful with it and placed it carefully on a cloth but maybe it's just one of those things you disturb them they go wrong or break so just by a new fan itself then?. You reckon the spring inside fan is now kerput?. It's more important to concentrate on what's ahead of you than what you have left behind.

This is what I keep watching to remind me why I own/keep my Defender. https://youtu.be/x4DZgOcgn1s
Post #634140 28th Jun 2017 3:55pm
Clive

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
I don't think they're that delicate to be disturbed by removing, they're pretty robust really, lets face it they lead a fairly arduous life whizzing round all the time in the normal course of duty.

The spring part you mention is a bi-metallic thermostat which controls the flow of silicon fluid inside the unit and hence regulates the amount of coupling from the driven shaft to the fan itself. Unless it's physically damaged or broken I doubt it will be the cause of your problem.

The heat of the sun should have little or no effect on it - unless you live somewhere near the equator Wink

To be honest, I'd just leave it for now and see how it goes, if it gets worse or locks up altogether then it's time for a new one.
Post #634156 28th Jun 2017 4:34pm
Retrostu

Nice one Clive cheers now I understand completely, one of my friends said to check the fan when engine cold and it should spin freely, when engine warm should have resistance, so I'll keep a check on it and yeah replace if it locks up, their not that expensive and I have the tools to change so no biggie, thanks again. It's more important to concentrate on what's ahead of you than what you have left behind.

Post #634160 28th Jun 2017 5:02pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Mine does it on hot days. Engine bay temperatures in the sun will get pretty high. Once there's a bit of air flowing through it cools down and quietens down
Post #634203 28th Jun 2017 7:27pm
Retrostu

That's when mine makes the noise when it's been parked in sun all day plus my XS is all black so reckon the heat is radiated in the engine bay too. It's more important to concentrate on what's ahead of you than what you have left behind.

Post #634230 28th Jun 2017 8:36pm
Retrostu

Mate of mine said try turning fan when the engines cold, should spin freely, when engines warm slight resistance.

Well when it's cold it turns half a revolution freely then stiffens up for the other half of the turn and so on. Stiff, free, stiff, free.
When it's warmed up it has constant slight resistance, so now I really am miffed. It's more important to concentrate on what's ahead of you than what you have left behind.

Post #634304 29th Jun 2017 7:56am
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Good working viscous fan is just slowly rotating on running engine, after a short run. And it is possible to stop this rotation by hand - preferable not yours hand, or by a small piece of wood. If not, the viscous coupling is probably too stiff. It is not uncommon with the age of it. Similar problems with viscous coupling getting stiff has Freelander or RR - but they have this instead of central diff. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "BlufĂ­nek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #634308 29th Jun 2017 8:20am
Retrostu

Right we are then 'madtom' thanks for that too I may as well just replace it then it's done is it better to get the whole fan or just the coupling itself and fit it too the fan or is their a worth wile upgrade while I'm on it?. It's more important to concentrate on what's ahead of you than what you have left behind.

Post #634396 29th Jun 2017 3:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1