↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Sudden loss of oil pressure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Newton'slaw

England 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Sudden loss of oil pressure
I took my 2008 Defender into the garage for its annual MOT and service. I had no issues at all and had checked all fluids approx. 6 weeks ago. I have owned the Land rover from new and it has never used oil or lost any water in all the years I have owned it, I have a regime of checking under the bonnet every six weeks.
I delivered it late afternoon to the garage so that they could have an early start on her the next day.
They drove it into the workshop overnight for safe keeping, drove it out in the morning and took it locally for its MOT.

The garage rang my wife to ask if I had noticed the oil light coming on. To which my wife said no definitely not because the oil pressure light came on just as they arrived at the MOT station (less than half a mile away). They checked the oil level and it had NO oil on the dipstick! So they put 4 litres of oil in. However the oil pressure light stayed on. They then had her towed back to the garage. The mechanic walked the route he took to see if there was any evidence of an oil spillage but found none.

Once back at the garage they inspected the engine and found no leaks so removed the sump and checked the oil pump visually and felt there was nothing wrong with it. Checked the sump and found a few small pieces of aluminum chips.

So they feel the best option would be to fit a brand new Puma engine and clutch at an estimated cost of £10,000 plus VAT!

Has anyone got any views on what might have happened to the oil? And the cost of the replacement?
    Post #633315 24th Jun 2017 6:15pm
    View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
    ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Defen...Sw9OFZNSxQ

Sorry no idea as to oil loss, our Transit 2.0 just did something similar, lost a lot of oil but no damage, no leaks, no smoke and no reoccurance Confused
    Post #633335 24th Jun 2017 7:51pm
    LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
    think I would be very sceptical, funny how it happened when it was with them for a service!!! perhaps they didn't fit the sump plug or tighten the filter or even refill the oil before going for a spin? DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
    Post #633344 24th Jun 2017 9:04pm
    lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
    I would also be very sceptical. Seems incredibly unlucky that the oil level became critically low during the short run from their garage to the testing station. Especially as you know it has no history of oil loss or consumption.

I guess the difficulty will be trying to establish if the garage had done an oil change (or half of one) before running the vehicle to the MOT station.

One could speculate on a number of scenarios leading to the end result, ranging from unexplained excessive oil consumption, right through to a deliberate covering up of error. But the latter could well be completely unfounded and unfair on the garage.

Have you contacted your insurance company for advice, or possibly any legal support helpline you may have through your house policy?
    Post #633404 25th Jun 2017 8:33am
    hornet

Re: Sudden loss of oil pressure
    Newton'slaw wrote:
    I took my 2008 Defender into the garage for its annual MOT and service. I had no issues at all and had checked all fluids approx. 6 weeks ago. I have owned the Land rover from new and it has never used oil or lost any water in all the years I have owned it, I have a regime of checking under the bonnet every six weeks. [...]

Extremely bad. Sorry to say that, but i blame the garage. There is no sudden loss of all the oil. Even in this state there should be a reason to be found if it was eating oil. Tell them it's their fault an let them dismantle the engine to show you the reason why it needed that much.
      Good luck!
      Post #633694 26th Jun 2017 3:48pm
      grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
      The fact that their first reaction was to quote for a new engine would to me set off alarm bells ringing Confused 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
      1990 Vogue SE
      Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
      Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
      Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
      RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
      Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
      Post #633735 26th Jun 2017 7:40pm
      Macpaul

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Loire Blue
      No help whatsoever in this thread (though I agree with those above) but some chaps at JLR factory told me that once they'd done evaluating a Puma engine in a Transit, they drained the oll and drove it till it seized.

Any guesses how far they got?

26 miles. 2003 Td5 110 Hardtop
      Now a 2013 110 USW too.
      Post #633939 27th Jun 2017 9:25pm
      hornet

Good to know Thumbs Up
      Post #634082 28th Jun 2017 12:18pm
      Post Reply  Back to top
      Page 1 of 1