↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > 110 van body audio setup - help needed.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Welkman

United Kingdom 
110 van body audio setup - help needed.
Hi all,

I have waded through the previous posts on audio setup and am left a little confused. Currently i have two four inch pioneer speakers in the front and two in the back of the van in factory locations. They are just not up to the task and have blown within a month of fitting.

I really like my music and am about to set off on a four week trip so would like to fit some new speakers to improve things. I have to rip apart the interior to fit some spotlights, wire in heated seats etc. so installing an amp would be no problem. I a
So have a dedicated aux fuse box with plenty of feeds.

What is the best combination ?

Tweeters and four inch speakers with a crossover alongside an active slim line sub? If so does anyone have reccomendations? I either listen to dance, rock or radio four !

Should I even bother with the rear speakers in a 110 van?

The whole thing is silentcoated with dodo mat on the sides and roof.

Cheers

James
Post #632418 20th Jun 2017 10:20am
corgi1

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I know this is a mine field, and we all have different opinions, I just had the Alipne cubby box sub fitted, and upgraded the speakers, and wow what a difference, look on urban automotive website, they have all the options and speaker numbers etc, I also upgraded my rear speakers with the same, my trucks a 90 csw, and to be honest I should have saved the money as I cant hear them anyway !
Pete Very Happy
Post #632420 20th Jun 2017 10:31am
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Alpine SWE-1200 is the sub, fits perfectly on the back of the cubby box and gives some decent bass. It won't be a good as a proper one but given the limited space they are the best choice. Loved mine since I installed it.

In the front, you can fit bigger than 4" up to around 5" or so with the use of a spacer or whittling out some extra space. I went for Infinity 5030 CS with external tweeters, they sound very good and quite powerful even just of the Censored head unit amp.

A set of 3 way speakers or some 6x9s in the back would go a long way as well. Got to remember unless you fit a dedicated amp to power the lot they wont sound as good as they could, nor will they be as loud. The amp in the head unit can only power so much!
Post #632424 20th Jun 2017 11:15am
Welkman

United Kingdom 
I made my own holes in the dash to fit the four inch speakers so am happy to enlarge that a little. How would the sub function with the bulkhead still in situ?

Amp is definatley on my list but again require someone with knowledge to point me in the direction of a decent one. I have two 6x9 sat on a shelf I could add in the rear corners but I would have to fabricate some boxes.

Thanks for the help.
Post #632426 20th Jun 2017 11:29am
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Should still fit and should be fine, the sub is designed to work under a seat after all! In my 90 I had a Kenwood underseat amp mounted directly to the bulkhead, that was rather good.

Since you wont have to mount to the cubby box as the bulkhead is still there I would have a look at the JBL underseat sub, in the US its branded as Infinity, here its JBL both are subsidiaries of Harmon Kardon! So good sound all round haha

The JBL is slightly larger so not great for fitting on the back of the cubby but it is more powerful.
Post #632441 20th Jun 2017 12:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1