↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > SDS drill advice needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
corgi1

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
RALLYMENTAL has a really good point, if you have a powerful drill and are drilling into block or concrete, if it snags it could break ya wrist, I have a Makita with a clutch, which has looked after me a few times Thumbs Up
Post #626653 24th May 2017 7:23pm
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Just to throw a slight spanner in the works I like blackwolf have over the last year switched over to Milwaukee M18 Fuel stuff. Largely due to their Heavy Duty Impact hammer which I got to try out in a garage in Kendall (that thing is a monster).

I was astonished with their drill driver how much torque that thing has, I've snapped a 10mm HSS drill bit when it bit into some steel (had already been drilled out to 9.5mm). It was an enormous step up from my old Makita NiMH drill. It's also had no trouble at all putting a 1.5" spade drill through a 9" oak fence post, with no pilot hole.

Basically what I'm getting at is perhaps a newer hammer drill will do and will be used more often. Having experienced the M18 Fuel range they are my first port of call, the most recent is their grinder which is beautifully balanced and quite easy to use one handed and surprisingly quiet (important with close by neighbours). Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #626664 24th May 2017 7:57pm
Peaknocker

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Milwaukee is the way forward I have a lot of their M12 stuff for the smaller jobs as well as several M18 tools including the big Impact driver. Both my Dad and Brother are Milwaukee addicts as well.

Next purchase is the big SDS plus but need to think of a job to justify it. Mike
Post #626666 24th May 2017 8:03pm
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
I use this Makita corded SDS drill all the time:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01636...&psc=1

My previous one lasted for well over 15 years before the clutch finally gave out.

For core drilling of larger sizes, I use one of these (and I don't agree at all with the one star review):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002XFQWYS/ref...71_TE_item

I also use Makita 18v stuff with their 5Ah batteries all the time and love it (although it can be an expensive addiction....)
Post #628369 2nd Jun 2017 8:42am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
sako243 wrote:
.... the most recent is their grinder which is beautifully balanced and quite easy to use one handed and surprisingly quiet (important with close by neighbours).

The M18 grinder is epic! One of the most useful tools I have bought in the last year, and with a 5.0 AH battery it is amazing how much it can do on a single charge.

I am currently eyeing up the cordless mag drill to replace my old Evolution corded one, it has had very good reviews.

The big impct wrenches, the grinder, and the mag drill are all tools which until recently I would have doubted could be viable as cordless tools, but Milwaukee has proved me utterly wrong. I just hope that they continue to make compatible batteries for years to come.

It's Milwaukee every time for me at the moment, I don't believe that anything else comes close in terms of performance and the range of tools that will run off the same batteries.
Post #628379 2nd Jun 2017 9:19am
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
I've got the cheap Screwfix own brand one (about 50-60) and can't fault it. 
Post #628386 2nd Jun 2017 10:06am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
blackwolf wrote:
The M18 grinder is epic! One of the most useful tools I have bought in the last year, and with a 5.0 AH battery it is amazing how much it can do on a single charge.

I went for the fuel version and the most useful feature is the 'FixNut' so you don't need the spanner to change discs (unlike the brushed version). Don't need multiple grinders this way. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #628392 2nd Jun 2017 10:34am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Indeed, it saves so much time and is so easy.

Used with the new-style ultra-thin cutting discs this is an epic tool!
Post #628433 2nd Jun 2017 12:34pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
If you download the Bosch App, if you are very lucky you may find an offer there.

Maybe, maybe not but worth a look. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #628439 2nd Jun 2017 12:46pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Update. I bought the Bosch GBH 2-26 DRE from Axminster. Great service from Axminster and I'd have no hesitation in buying from them in the future.
Regarding the drill itself. Had it for a test run today and I was very happy with it. I just used the drilling mode and didn't try chiselling anything. The case it came in is very good with lots of space for storing cases with drill bits in them (and maybe even a sandwich or two!!!). I also bought a chuck adaptor to enable me to use non SDS type bits for drilling into wood etc but I'll be mainly using it for masonry/concrete drilling etc.
There is a good length of lead attached to the drill, in fact about twice the length I ever got on any other power tool, yet it still fits nicely into the case. The lead goes into the drill attached to a circular swivelling ball type arrangement which is new to me but works very well.
I could have bought a cheaper drill with drill bits included but I was happy to go for this one. At 109.96, including free delivery, I'm content with the deal. Went online and extended the warranty to three years.
Each to their own etc but here is what I went for.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/bosch-gbh-2-26-...l-ax960492 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #632356 19th Jun 2017 9:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12