↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > 200tdi - slow - not pulling great/pump tuning does nothing!?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
benniferj wrote:
Better - it's running a lot smoother with all of those changes and parts cleaned and serviced.
That said it's still a bit flat in 5th. Im not sure if I'm expecting too much - what should a Disco 200 be able to do on BFG Mud 285s, 2" lift and a roof rack etc on it? I thought it would be good for cruising a flat motorway at 70 - as it stands it can only even hit 70 on a downhill run!

My 90 despite having a lower geared transfer box can still hit 70 even though by then the revs are too high to want to drive like that. My suspicion is that if I had the 90's engine in the Disco that it would easily cruise to 75. The 90 is so keen in comparison.

With that set up, you're expecting too much. Apart from the rack and lift that add to wind resistance, 285/75 tyres are a good four inches taller than the standard 235/70's fitted to Discoverys. You're massively over-geared - in the region of 13% - so comparing it to your 90 really doesn't mean much. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #631808 16th Jun 2017 1:13pm
mini Anaconda

United Kingdom 
I don't think there is anything wrong with the engine, what sort of maintenance are you suggesting?
The problem doesn't really bother me too much as I rarely need to go above 45mph, and if I do then it is on the motorway and the 5th gear problem doesn't happen to often. It will easily pull past 70mph so I think the engine is okay, just the gearing and at the rev range where the turbo isn't spinning very fast.
245 tyres look too small in my opinion.
Post #631809 16th Jun 2017 1:15pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Normal stuff like filters, cleaning the intercooler and perhaps new hoses. The sorts of things that degrade over time so it's not immediately noticeable that something is less than ideal.

I agree about the 245's. I just wanted you to be aware that if you've already noticed an issue then it'll be made worse by fitting bigger tyres, even if they look right on a Defender.

By way of comparison, my factory original 200tdi 90 on 7.50 tyres (essentially the same height as 265/75) will pull 5th gear from 40mph and continue on to 70mph without issue. It's done 159k and I know that the intercooler needs a clean out, so I expect it to be even better when I get chance to do that. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #631811 16th Jun 2017 1:24pm
yostumpy

exactly what size tyres do you have, there is mention of 285's but the op mentions 265? confused, with 265's you have a gutless problem that is /could be mechanical, with 285's its the gearing. what size tyres on your 90 'that flies'.
Post #631852 16th Jun 2017 6:39pm
benniferj

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
The 90 that flies is on 285/75/16s
The Disco is running a lot better now it's been used more regularly - it was sitting for the best part of a year. I cleared the sedimentor filter at the back as well as running a few doses of injector cleaner through it. It's running a lot better although still no where near as gutsy as the 90. That engine is just manic compared to my Disco's one.

Either way I'm over it - and not putting tiny wheels back on it... it's a 'get about' hack for a bit of laning and in my work I do a lot of stuff at festivals as I'm a live sound engineer - great to be able to pull everything else out of the mud!

I think there may be something funny going with the pump as I simply can't tune it to smoke... I expected to be able to get it to plume black smoke so I can wind it back in from there. The 90 was easy - turn the boost diaphragm and low smoke screw too far and it plumes smoke so you get a visual representation of what your limits are (aside from EGT and Boost gauges)
The Disco just won't smoke... which is weird... tuning these pumps is normally easy.

That said I'm achieving and holding 70 now which isn't bad.
Post #635243 3rd Jul 2017 8:51am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Is the fuel metering pin moving freely?

If you remove the diaphragm and plunger/cone assembly (noting orientation) from the injector pump boost compensator housing and then actuate the throttle lever you should see the metering pin pop out into the cavity, where it would usually ride on the eccentric cone. If it's seized in the pump body it can restrict power on boost, depending on which position it seizes in.
Post #635410 3rd Jul 2017 9:30pm
benniferj

I need to check that fuel pin still anaconda.

I did notice yesterday while doing a quick fluid check that if I revved the engine I could see the top IC hose squidge a little bit. Thats not even with the vehicle driving of course, just on a hard rev parked up - should you ever be able to see the hose squidge at all or do you reckon that is stifling the engine on hard boost?

Replacing the hosing is no issue... apart from I need to find where I put all my spare hoses... I reckon I will put a solid pipe there with just silicone joiner ends...
Post #652880 26th Sep 2017 11:14am
Defendermatt

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 Other SW Bonatti Grey
I would suggest using hard pipes with silicone joiners if you have done some tweeking.
Post #652887 26th Sep 2017 11:27am
benniferj

Is what I do when I get the chance to.

I'm just intrigued as to if this slight squidge I can see when not under much load at all will be enough be stifling my engine explaining what is happening to my acceleration... Simply do good condition pipes squidge at all or not?
Post #652898 26th Sep 2017 11:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12