↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > CB aerial recommendations...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kzycnn

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
CB aerial recommendations...
Hi

For something last the last 7 years I've had my CB aerial (standard larger Springer) fitted to the rear of my Defender using a body mount. This has been fine, reasonable SWR and performance. I've now fitted an awning to the back of my roof rack which meant the CB aerial was being obstructed so had to move.

I played around with a roof rack mount with an attached earth lead, SWR too high. Added an artificial ground plane (one of these [url] http://www.4x4cb.com/public/item.cfm?itemID=972 [/url], SWR still high. I then moved the body mount round to the side, behind the rear window (110 County SW) but below the gutter (so lower than before and the aerial coil partly obscured by the body). Better... To improve things further and raise the coil, I also fitted a quick release mount.

Result Very Happy . After tuning I have the SWR at a steady 1.4.

Problem now is that, because the springer is very err springy ( Rolling with laughter ) it rattles like some demented thing on the roof rack and is very noisey Crying or Very sad

Ok. Mid mounted load should be the answer here, so I got one of these [url] http://www.4x4cb.com/public/item.cfm?itemID=691 [/url]. SWR now firmly well in the red Evil or Very Mad . I haven't attempted to tune this, just stuck it between the 2 marks on the aerial itself.

So, eventually we get to the questions (sorry)....
(1) Can this easily be tuned down by shortening the aerial (as everything was ok with the springer so no shorts)
(2) Failing that, can anyone recommend a good (reasonably priced) mid or top load aerial?

I'd like to keep the side mount if possible. Well, it is there and therefore has a couple of holes behind it. Also, the CB is fitted in a MUD roof console so the coax run is neat.

Thanks

Tony
Post #629659 7th Jun 2017 1:20pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
It's more expensive but I've got a Sirio aerial and have been very pleased with it:

http://www.4x4cb.com/public/item.cfm?itemID=693 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #629676 7th Jun 2017 3:21pm
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
Given the location then a Thunderpole SuperNova or even a Centre loaded Trucker 80, would work well day to day.

If you don't have much to duck under then a Modulator - Red devil would work even better. For a few extra pennies then a 4ft Firestik would work beautifully as it is Top loaded just not very flexible.
Post #629718 7th Jun 2017 5:58pm
VeeTee

Netherlands 
Re: CB aerial recommendations...
kzycnn wrote:
Hi

For something last the last 7 years I've had my CB aerial (standard larger Springer) fitted to the rear of my Defender using a body mount. This has been fine, reasonable SWR and performance. I've now fitted an awning to the back of my roof rack which meant the CB aerial was being obstructed so had to move.

I have a Spinger at the same location. I mounted a hinged adapter between body mount and antenna, so the antenna folds sideways if needed.

Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #629741 7th Jun 2017 7:12pm
kzycnn

Food for thought....

The Sirio would mean a change of mount as the body mount uses the normal 3/8".

I've seen, and considered, the Trucker 80. Went for the AT-12 as it looked neater Rolling with laughter

Also spoke to 4x4CB, where I bought the stuff I already have from (including the AT-12) and he reckons I should be able to bring the SWR right down, even from where it is at the moment (firmly in the red), just start at the UK position on the whip rather than the mid point I tried. Obviously this is the next step as it won't cost owt Very Happy

Thanks for the tips guys. Will let you know how I get on - probably this weekend now

Tony
Post #629848 8th Jun 2017 8:15am
kzycnn

Vincent, how long is the hinged adaptor? That could bring the springer out of the way of the roof rack by raising the whole aerial a wee bit.

I see there is also a long quick release available. I have the shorter, knurled one, at the moment. The combination of longer QR and hinged adaptor could give me the height I need (and chop another chunk off the springer to bring the SWR back down Very Happy )

Tony
Post #629852 8th Jun 2017 8:20am
VeeTee

Netherlands 
^ I'll have a look later when I get at the car. Cheers, Vincent

MySite
Post #629896 8th Jun 2017 10:47am
VeeTee

Netherlands 
About 6.5 cm

Click image to enlarge
 Cheers, Vincent

MySite
Post #629944 8th Jun 2017 1:35pm
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Since I installed the radio antenna onto the inside of the windscreen, I was thinking of putting the two-way aerial in the original radio antenna spot. Is this a good spot or must I aim for higher mounting options?
Post #630084 9th Jun 2017 3:03am
300TDi CSW Phil

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
I have mine in the original radio aerial hole. It is not ideal but does mean you dont have to put more holes in your defender.

Issues are getting a decent SWR reading (it is possible but not easy)
Coverage to the rear is sometimes patchy
Less ditance over say a rear mount (the one that goes through the flat bit at the back of the roof) or a roof rack or gutter mount.

That said these days you are normally fairly close to those you are talking to on CB (when greenlaning or travelling in convoy etc). 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
Wide Track Sankey- In bits- Gone to a new home
M0XQS
Post #630110 9th Jun 2017 8:01am
kzycnn

Click image to enlarge

Hi

Regarding

Quote:
So, eventually we get to the questions (sorry)....
(1) Can this easily be tuned down by shortening the aerial (as everything was ok with the springer so no shorts)

I have managed to get the SWR down on channel 1 to about 1.5 and on channel 40 to just under 2. Had to cut a couple of inches off the length of the whip as there was not enough space inside the coil to bring it down far enough. Hacking off this chunk then left enough space for a 'final tune'. Interestingly, reducing the length any further pushed the SWR way back into the red zone. Odd...

Picture shows where I have moved the body mount and the offending awning which prompted the move. As the lower part of the aerial was very close to the gutter, I switched the spring (part of AT-12) and the quick release around and also put sleeved the spring. Not sure how much of an impact this had, but in the original layout (QR, spring, aerial) the SWR kept hitting the red when I was shortening the whip (adjusting screw rather than hacksaw at this stage Smile )

Tony
Post #630747 12th Jun 2017 12:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1