↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Series Land Rovers > Started having bad thoughts about buying a S2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 18 of 24 <123 ... 171819 ... 222324>
Print this entire topic · 
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
Finally ticked a big box and got the brakes working to my satisfaction.

They have been binding and jamming when reversing. I have a theory that the old drums were a little too worn, so that the smaller radius trailing shoe was being pushed over-centre by the spring inside the wheel cylinder and wedging itself against the larger diameter drum. I had also not chamfered the shoes much when I put them in, which probably wasn't helping either.

I decided to put a generous chamfer on the uppermost trailing and leading edges of the shoes;

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

And for the sake of completeness (and based on recent positive feedback on the quality of Britpart items) fitted a new set of drums:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

What a difference! The braking force is noticeably greater right out of the box. I can only assume that the shoes are now in full contact with the drums as they were previously only making contact over about 1/4 of their surface area. No complaints about the quality of the drums - they are perfectly round and are making that nice creaking noise when you feather them, suggesting good friction. I even managed to lock the rears with the weight transfer to the front!

Also while I had the wheels off, it was a good opportunity to clean them inside and out and treat them with some ACF-50 to keep the rust at bay:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #591279 8th Jan 2017 3:15pm
milesr3

I have been thinking of getting PGV partially re-sprayed. Not all over but the parts that it was necessary for me to paint due being repaired, such as the tub, bulkhead and radiator panel. I was never completely happy with the colour match between the old and new 224 DBG paint, and despite my best efforts some of my earlier work was not as good as the last bits I painted.

I visited a local bodyshop in the week, who does restoration and project work to sound out whether they would be able to do a better job. They reckon it will take them a day to flat off, mask and re-spray the tub, upper bulkhead and radiator panel and are happy to fit it in when I'm ready. The deciding factor was whether they could get a better match with the paint. They suggested that I went to see their paint supplier, which I did, leaving behind the front apron for them to match by eye rather than with the machine. Having tried unsuccessfully to get a paint match before, it was with some trepidation that I returned to pickup the paint they had mixed for me. It appears to be a standard Land Rover colour LRC001 Bronze Green:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

But comparing the colour in the tin looked promising, so I painted a couple of small patches to compare, in the shade where the apron has rubbed the paint off the wing;

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

And in full sun, which has never looked right:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Well b***** me, it seems that LRC001 is a perfect match for the old paint!
One final test that proves that I painted it the wrong colour  Evil or Very Mad

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Anyway, it should look better when done.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #626937 26th May 2017 8:17am
milesr3

They come apart much quicker than they go back together again!

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Dropping it off at the bodyshop tomorrow.

Post #627243 27th May 2017 6:48pm
milesr3

Just been round to the bodyshop to pay for the work and arrange to get it dropped back at home.

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Post #629094 5th Jun 2017 12:57pm
Ellisboy

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Looks great Thumbs Up

Stephen.
Post #629286 5th Jun 2017 9:40pm
milesr3

Thanks Stephen. I'm pleased with how it turned out and should have done this in the first place, rather than painting it myself. The finish is pretty much perfect now, better than the paint on our Defender and they did a good job blending the new paint into the footwells. It was money well spent.

The colour is a very good match, but it still looks a little different on adjacent panels due to the way it reflects the light and the density of the paint. I guess that it's impossible to get new paint to look like its 57 years old! When choosing which paint to use, I had narrowed it down to the locally sourced LRC001 and Paintman Hodges Green with samples painted onto white card.

(LRC001 above and Hodges below)
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

(LRC001 on the left, Hodges in the middle, DBG/LRC001 on the right)[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

After sticking the samples all over the old paint, which isn't the same shade over a single panel, I decided that LRC001 was the better match. Of course it would have been easier (and PGV would be more valuable) if I'd had the whole thing re-sprayed but I was never going to do that.

PGV is back at home in the garage now and I've made a start on re-assembling it. It's looking a lot better already and the perfectionist in me isn't going to keep looking at the radiator panel and thinking of reaching for the wet and dry paper.

Post #629386 6th Jun 2017 9:19am
milesr3

It's all going back together rather well!

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Post #629528 6th Jun 2017 8:10pm
milesr3

All back together again.

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

The colour match and particularly the finish is a lot better than it was. Should look better still when some of the newness has weathered off.

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Post #630001 8th Jun 2017 6:51pm
milesr3

Last two photos on this subject now. The paint has dried. It says it takes 5-6 days and the colour has changed a little for the better. Finally looks acceptable, to me at least in full sun. The difference now is down to the gloss level with the new Lechler Syntolack semi-gloss but I'm not going to do anything to the new paint to flatten it. Time will do this.

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Post #630122 9th Jun 2017 9:22am
milesr3

I've not had much chance to use PGV for the last few months, but had to collect some 3m lengths of timber the other day and it was a good excuse to give my battered old truck a bit of a spring clean. Not looking too bad at 57 years of age.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #699794 10th Apr 2018 10:22am
Maris Widgeon

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Gorgeous. Thumbs Up
If it's anything like mine , always puts a smile on your face.

Nick
Post #699796 10th Apr 2018 10:29am
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Lovely,

If you get bored of it do shout Whistle 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #699864 10th Apr 2018 3:27pm
milesr3

Never say never. My daughter will be starting at Uni in September. It's the first time I've considered letting PGV go.
Post #703921 29th Apr 2018 9:46am
gcc130

Hi milesr,

What have you used to polish, protect the bodywork and wheels?

We have a totally original '65 2a which has been in the family from new and I need to prepare it for my daughters wedding in June.

Cheers, Andrew
Post #703934 29th Apr 2018 10:22am
milesr3

When I did the restoration I machine polished the old paint to restore the colour. Nowadays I brush / wipe it over with ACF-50 every now and again. It brings out the depth of colour and has prevented any corrosion of the bare metal bits.
Post #703936 29th Apr 2018 10:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 18 of 24 <123 ... 171819 ... 222324>