↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Africa > importing Landy to SA
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
angus1886

1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Alpine White
importing Landy to SA
I am due to move to south africa this year: does anyone know the rules / tricks around importing a vehicle there? I will be on a 2yr visa rather than as an immigrant, so can I keep a vehicle on UK plates (and for how long) or do I need an import permit (under what category)?

on a related issue, if I keep a vehicle on UK plates outside the UK for more than 12 months (i.e. no chance to renew MoT) how do I keep it insured and road-legal? is this always dependent on the country visited, or is there some way of registering a UK vehicle for a longer trip (e.g. 2 years)?

appreciate any light that anyone can shed on this. thanks.
Post #53467 17th Jan 2011 5:11pm
Puma90man

South Africa 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 Fire LE Vesuvius Orange
Angus,

I have a similar kinda situation> Planning to buy a new Defender in 2013 (IF it still comes out in 2012) and drive it down to SA to make a statement. Cool My local dealer hasnt been able to help much with advise yet

But I dont know if there are fatal flaws if I have to register the vehicle there first and then export to SA? Or maybe register it in somebody else's name (have family there) and get "permission" to drive it down. Maybe you have ideas?

Ito your requests - I think it would be best to speak to our customs dept here in SA
Post #62683 7th Mar 2011 7:40pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
AFAIK, you cannot import a 2nd hand vehicle in SA, which means you have to buy it new and then import it + register in SA

However, I do not think you can buy a vehicle in the UK and register it in SA - the vehicle has to be physically present in SA for it to be SA-registered.

your best bet is to speak to someone at the licensing department who knows the regs. --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #62717 8th Mar 2011 4:59am
Puma90man

South Africa 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 Fire LE Vesuvius Orange
Thanks for that Naks - I think you are right. Will be better to buy here - ship up and drive back or vice versa
Post #62719 8th Mar 2011 6:17am
ralton

South Africa 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Contact the Automobile Assosiation, i'm sure they'll be able to answer all your questions:
email: aasa@aasa.co.za

Cheers www.ralton.co.za
Post #62720 8th Mar 2011 6:19am
landyman

South Africa 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
You have one of two choices: Either get a Carnet for the Landy which you will need if traveling via Tanzania etc. The Carnet will cover u in SA under the UK plates as well, but just check with the AA, I think the Carnet is only valid for a year, but the validity may be extended.

Alternatively, anyone who changes their residence to SA is allowed one car per family free of duty etc. You do however require an Import Permit from the Dept of Trade and Industry, as well as a Letter of Authority that used to be issued by SABS, but I think they have someone now doing it on their behalf.

Make sure you have the above docs with you before you ship the car, or you will get nailed by Customs and storage of the car at the Port will cost you aplenty. 2010 Puma aka Snowball
Post #65093 25th Mar 2011 6:25pm
LESVOSD110

South Africa 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Fuji White
We are planing to return to South Africa when my home gets sold.My Defender is LHD and prepared to do coversion to rhd.I'm trying to find out if this is acceptable and if any specific paperwork is needed for the conversion. Puma 110 SW
90 V8 SOFT TOP
Post #76066 15th Jun 2011 6:00pm
iandup77

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zambezi Silver
Hi Angus.

I work and live in Tanzania and brought my Defender with me from South Africa. You will need to obtain a Garnet from the AA which is valid for 12 months. The Garnet is also required when you travel down to South Africa trough African countries, this just help the clearing process at border control.

After 12 months you need to renew your Garnet with the AA and the vehicle needs to leave the country in order to stamp the renewed Garnet. You can take the vehicle to any border control closets to you for example Swaziland or Mosambique.

Hope this info helps. On a quite night in Africa you can hear the sound of rusting Land Cruisers
Post #81184 20th Jul 2011 1:35pm
lostinlondon

Hi

just a few notes on this - i would suggest speaking to Paul Gowen at the RAC regarding a 2 year Carnet - he is very helpful and will be able to advise if possible. It is my understanding that the AA have nothing to do with Carnets and its all done through RAC.

Also - just on the importing a vehicle into SA (without carnet) - I believe you need to be a returning perm resident to be able to do this - and you must have owned the car for >1 year in the UK before importing it. Otherwise you will need to pay tax.

I am currently investigating both importing to either South Africa or Australia - but both have very similar rules.

Thanks

Tim

ps - i knoe this post is a little old..
Post #85569 22nd Aug 2011 2:02pm
pom

carnet are issued by your chamber of commerce and it basically exempts the item on the carnet from duty and tax as it guarantees it will be leaving the country.

Used to get them a lot in a former job for avionics kit being taken to airshows.

http://www.londonchamber.co.uk/lccicarnet/index.aspx

cheers

Pom
Post #85575 22nd Aug 2011 3:56pm
Tatt

South Africa 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Belize Green
Hi All

Decided to drag up this old thread as it applies to what I'm currently doing. I have my DTI Import Permit and the NRSCI (SABS) certificates for my 110 TD5 Van. I'm loading her next week on a RORO to Durban. Is there any other documentation required and how will I know if they will charge me import duty on arrival?

Thanks

Tom

landyman wrote:
You have one of two choices: Either get a Carnet for the Landy which you will need if traveling via Tanzania etc. The Carnet will cover u in SA under the UK plates as well, but just check with the AA, I think the Carnet is only valid for a year, but the validity may be extended.

Alternatively, anyone who changes their residence to SA is allowed one car per family free of duty etc. You do however require an Import Permit from the Dept of Trade and Industry, as well as a Letter of Authority that used to be issued by SABS, but I think they have someone now doing it on their behalf.

Make sure you have the above docs with you before you ship the car, or you will get nailed by Customs and storage of the car at the Port will cost you aplenty.
Post #136176 1st Apr 2012 9:47pm
Davidej

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alveston Red
Hi Tom
Will be keen to hear your experience of the RoRo option - rather than container - as considering that with my 110 in a year. Which company are you using in the U.K.?
David
Post #579956 23rd Nov 2016 9:14pm
Nizza

1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Orkney Grey
Re: importing Landy to SA
angus1886 wrote:
I am due to move to south africa this year: does anyone know the rules / tricks around importing a vehicle there? I will be on a 2yr visa rather than as an immigrant, so can I keep a vehicle on UK plates (and for how long) or do I need an import permit (under what category)?

on a related issue, if I keep a vehicle on UK plates outside the UK for more than 12 months (i.e. no chance to renew MoT) how do I keep it insured and road-legal? is this always dependent on the country visited, or is there some way of registering a UK vehicle for a longer trip (e.g. 2 years)?

appreciate any light that anyone can shed on this. thanks.

Hey Angus - long time now but how did you get on with this?

I’m looking to export my Landie down to SA….

Cheers
Post #978774 19th Jan 2023 7:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1