↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Help save Beddgelert Forest Campsite
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Help save Beddgelert Forest Campsite
Please sign this petition now and help stop the Forestry Commision from destroying Snowdonia's best campsite.

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/save...t-campsite 
Post #605751 1st Mar 2017 1:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Signed Thumbs Up 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #605757 1st Mar 2017 1:30pm
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Signed Thumbs Up Unfortunately, this is the way it is going to go, until the bubble bursts through high charges
Post #605758 1st Mar 2017 1:34pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
My cottage is located three miles out of Beddgelert and I can say that 79% of the village and outlying area are against this planning application of 25 Timber housing at the site the (Forest Holiday) Forestry Commission Campsite

The scheme will necessitate the reduction of the current 195 pitches (made up of 100 caravan pitches and 95 tent pitches) into 55 undefined pitches. As the village relies quite heavily on the income from this site many of the village businesses are worried about the lack of trade from reducing the ammount of pitches and persons staying on them, especially in the off season months.

The trouble is over the last few years no money had been invested in this site which now looks run down and tired whether the lack of investment has been planned by the owners so that it looks uncared for and old I cannot say, but you will guess what I think.

The main concern amongst the village is no matter what petitions are organised planning consent will be given as it has in other Forest Holiday sites.

If they do loose consent they will automatically appeal to the welsh government who are at present because of a lack of a fighting budget fund giving 99% of appeals permission to build. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #605763 1st Mar 2017 2:04pm
gilarion

The other thing about this development application is that in reality the only people that the council will listen to are people directly affected by the development, such as neighbours and local businesses.

People who put forward petitions who live miles away particularly in England, Scotland, Ireland or the rest of the world who object because they may not be able to go on a camping holiday will chiefly be ignored as there are many other campsites locally where they can stay.
Sad fact but that is the way these things work I wish it was not so. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

Post #605765 1st Mar 2017 2:12pm
smb

Other than in Italy, that little restaurant(forget the name) over the bridge makes the best tasting pizzas Thumbs Up Bow down
Post #605766 1st Mar 2017 2:16pm
Laurie

gilarion, I hope you're wrong, tho' I suspect you're not.
It's our favourite Snowdonia campsite.
We love planting peanuts in the oak tree bark and watching the nuthatches finding them. Very Happy 
Post #605767 1st Mar 2017 2:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gilarion

I hope I am wrong as well Laurie but so many bad Planning decisions have been made recently within the Snowdonia area I am not holding my breath.

So people who have never visited Beddgelert know what a beautiful place it is, totally unspoilt, picturesque and peaceful.

Click image to enlarge

For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

Post #605773 1st Mar 2017 2:55pm
Laurie

New closing date.....

Quote:
Dear All,

Thank you for signing the petition Save Beddgelert Forest campsite. I just wanted to let you know that the date this proposal will be considered by the Snowdonia National Park Planning Committee has been postponed from 1-March to 5-April. That means we still have time to get more people to sign the petition - so please keep sharing the link and let's get it over 3000 !

There have been two major changes to the proposal in the last few days:

Forest Holidays no longer plan to drain the hot tubs directly to the forest floor, but will now install an additional treatment works to process the foul water.
The proposed number of cabins has been reduced from 25 to 19.
We only discovered this yesterday and have yet to fully understand the implications - though it would seem that there'll just be even fewer people able to use the site - and a corresponding increase in the impact to the local community.

There's still a very clear lack of awareness about the proposal amongst the caravanning and camping fraternity. We've spent some time recently talking to the more hardy users who stayed there over half-term and only one person was aware of the application. Without exception, all the people we spoke to were quite indignant that access to a site in such a great location could be lost. It's no surprise that Forest Holidays decided not to talk to the same people - though their reason that "it was the height of summer and would disrupt the staying experience" is laughable.

We've had great advice and support from our local MP (Liz Saville Roberts) and she's promised to write to the National Park letting them know our concerns. We've also benefitted from the support of campaigners from Thorpe and Fineshade Wood who have experience of opposing similar Forest Holidays developments.

To all of you who have supported us – a massive thank you ! Please keep sharing the link to the petition and really importantly, please use this link to register your objections with the National Park (click on "Comment on this Application"). Individual objections count for more than a signature on a petition, so if you have time, please do let the National Park have your comments !

I will keep you updated with progress.

Regards,

David Lloyd

Post #605782 1st Mar 2017 3:49pm
mrd1990

Wales 2000 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Signed.

If I understand correctly, this could cause a drop in tourists by as much as 200 at any given point during the holiday season which could harm the local area..

If the greedy business people actually put any thought into it, they could make far more money by building a desecrate low impact car park pen y grwyd, which is needed! Could even be subterranean.

smb wrote:
Other than in Italy, that little restaurant(forget the name) over the bridge makes the best tasting pizzas Thumbs Up Bow down

And Ice Cream!
Post #605806 1st Mar 2017 6:25pm
L110CDL

England 
What a beautiful, great looking place Thumbs Up I have signed as well Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #605919 1st Mar 2017 10:16pm
gilarion

Total waste of time making any objections Snowdonia National Park Authority passed the plans to replace 110 of its 195 caravan and camping pitches with 16 wooden chalets at the former Eryri Forestry Park, near Beddgelert at its meeting on Wednesday. Evil or Very Mad

So yet again those with enough money to pay for the best lawyers and barristers have won again Forest Holidays have never in any of their developments been refused permission to build. Whistle

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-40020897 For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

Post #626572 24th May 2017 11:40am
smb

It looks like it's now got the green light Twisted Evil Snowdonia National Park Committee Voted 6:3 in favour.

Another great place lost forever Censored

Last edited by smb on 26th May 2017 1:19am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #626825 25th May 2017 12:36pm
Laurie

Email from David Lloyd

Dear all,

It is with a heavy heart that I have to tell you that this morning's meeting of the Snowdonia National Park Planning Committee voted 6-3 in favour of the proposal to redevelop Beddgelert Forest campsite into a Forest Holidays cabin site. After more than 80 years as a campsite for backpackers, walkers and lovers of the outdoors, the former Beddgelert Forest campsite will become the tenth Forest Holidays "luxury log cabin" park.

I am left feeling deeply frustrated at the process as well as the result. The proposal is against planning policy - even the Planning Officer admitted that the existing policy had to be "interpreted" to conclude that it was permissable. The Planning Committee members who live locally opposed it; Beddgelert Community Council opposed it (twice); the local businesses opposed it; there were 200 individual letters of objection and over 4000 people signed a petition (online and paper) opposing it. In favour of the proposal were Forest Holidays backed by 24 letters of support and six National Park Planning Committe Members. An attempt by some Committee members to defer the application for an independent economic impact assessment was not even put to the vote.

And the result is that we lose a facility in a beautiful location that has been providing affordable camping for generations, replacing it with an estate of wooden cabins for the well heeled.

Right now, I'm not sure what happens next, but I'd like to thank each and every one of you for your support and especially those who wrote letters of objection. THANK YOU for all your support.

Regards,
David Lloyd 
Post #626858 25th May 2017 4:43pm
gilarion

To be honest Laurie most of us locals thought the granting of permission was a forgone conclusion, we thought the writing was on the wall when the site was being allowed to run down.

The local shops are already suffering and rely heavily on the seasonal months to supplement the quite times in the winter, everything has a knock on effect and I feel the effect may well see a change that is not for the better. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

Post #626875 25th May 2017 6:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>