↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Microsoft Rant
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
Ok let's be honest they are all sh*t it's the degrees if Sh*tness we are debating.

As an industry they all need a wake up call it run by idiots who never opened their bed room curtains.

And as for lectures in Microsoft ..... I had lectures in strength of materials not lectures in the manufactures of materials

I long for the days when I did not need a computer on my desk, I used to do real Engineering then. 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #623302 10th May 2017 11:41pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Laugh is RFT, most of it ended up been a waste of time, I was training to be a PC tech at the time, and I tell you what, I ended up learning more, playing about with them than I did at college! Microsoft stuff I learned a fare whack with how to tune the OS, Windows XP was the latest one out at the time, so I was well in there!

Sometimes you really do need to go back to the Old times as it just worked, you just have to look at cars for that! Also you experience too, of those times will be pure gold! you get some body now to do your skill, ( my age and younger) and I recon we couldn't do it. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #623380 11th May 2017 12:00pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Take it from me as someone who entered the computer world thirty three years ago in 1984 when the only operating system was MS DOS , and the tedious programme writing without graphics full of loops and go to. Rolling Eyes

And the constant typing of ASSIGN, ATTRIB BACKUP, and RESTORE, BASIC and BASICA CALL CD and CHDIR CHCP CHKDSK CHOICE CLS COPY CTTY DATE DEFRAG DEL and ERASE DELTREE DIR ECHO EDIT EDLIN EXE2BIN EXIT FASTOPEN FC and COMP FDISK FIND FOR FORMAT GRAPHICS HELP IF INTERSVR and INTERLNK JOIN LABEL LOADFIX LOADHIGH and LH MD or MKDIR MEM MEMMAKER MODE MORE MOVE MSD PATH PAUSE PING PRINT RD or RMDIR RECOVER REM REN SCANDISK SET SETVER SHARE SMARTDRV SORT SUBST SYS TIME TITLE TREE TRUENAME TYPE UNDELETE VER VERIFY XCOPY. Shocked

Now if you can remember using MS DOS in the older days of computing then you will agree that MICROSOFT is the Dogs B*ll*cks. Whistle For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #623404 11th May 2017 1:43pm
Bushpig

Wales 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alpine White
Another Thumbs Up for Mac!
Recently (tried to) used a 3 month old (apparently fully spec'd, for video editing) Dell, running windows...
After 2 hours ended up back on my 11 yr old MacBook...
Have never owned nor ever will buy microsoft Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams

2012 2.2 Puma
Post #623434 11th May 2017 4:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Teario

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Rioja Red
At home we don't have any windows machines - I have a MBP and Mini, gf has a Chromebook.
I used to buy Dell laptops but I got to a point where I just couldn't be doing with another cheap plastic nasty case any more so I mostly bought a macbook for the metal case. I do like MacOS now I'm used to it. No complaints on the macbook but the Mini really struggles to do most stuff.

At work we all use windows machines. They boot in just a couple of seconds and can't say they are that problematic to be honest. The biggest issue is when they decide to do a 1 hour update in the middle of the day when you're trying to get some work done. We also have a Mac Pro and a couple of windows machines that do the CI/automated build stuff. The builds that end up on the windows machines are usually done in half the time of the mac.
Post #623510 11th May 2017 8:55pm
Gonarezhou

South Africa 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alaska White
Ransomware infections reported worldwide - BBC

Another reason I use a Mac - less vulnerable to virus attack and time machine back-up.
Post #623702 12th May 2017 6:52pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Teario wrote:
At home we don't have any windows machines - I have a MBP and Mini, gf has a Chromebook.
I used to buy Dell laptops but I got to a point where I just couldn't be doing with another cheap plastic nasty case any more so I mostly bought a macbook for the metal case. I do like MacOS now I'm used to it. No complaints on the macbook but the Mini really struggles to do most stuff.

At work we all use windows machines. They boot in just a couple of seconds and can't say they are that problematic to be honest. The biggest issue is when they decide to do a 1 hour update in the middle of the day when you're trying to get some work done. We also have a Mac Pro and a couple of windows machines that do the CI/automated build stuff. The builds that end up on the windows machines are usually done in half the time of the mac.

A friend of mine works for the local uni, and these past few years they are starting to go more mac based now than windows, due to cost cutting, also they are looking at re launching mainframes too to even cut the cost even more.
Since I built the new system to run windows 10, I found the pc world has changed drastically since the days of the P4 ( last system I built and could run windows XP) Things I have noticed are lot cheaper quality now than they were, This system I posting on here cost close to 600 quid to build! That's just so that I can get windows 10 to work as it should. But then again the HDD tech has changed too, This system has a solid state HDD rather than the old school type, which makes them boot even faster, also with 16 gig of ram to keep windows happy too. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #625511 19th May 2017 11:10pm
defender4

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Take it from me as someone who entered the computer world thirty three years ago in 1984 when the only operating system was MS DOS , and the tedious programme writing without graphics full of loops and go to. Rolling Eyes

At the risk of falling into the 'that were luxury, in my day' trap, and, of course, completely off the point ... as someone whose introduction to world of 'data processing' was with Cobol in the early 1970's, you typed your program onto punched cards, you sent them down to the computer room in a tray for an overnight run just to see if you had any coding errors and hope to goodness that the operator didn't drop the cards. And Wozniak was yet to make the Apple 1.

But slightly more to the point, this post was, of course, typed on a MacBook.
Post #625515 20th May 2017 5:05am
Procta

United Kingdom 
It is frightening how quickly things change! When I was in school, windows 3.11 was all on the go and windows 95 was the new stuff on the block, My kid sister saw windows 3.11 she was like Shocked yeah no plug in play/usb or even CD Rom drives! Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #625587 20th May 2017 1:28pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
defender4 wrote:

At the risk of falling into the 'that were luxury, in my day' trap, and, of course, completely off the point ... as someone whose introduction to world of 'data processing' was with Cobol in the early 1970's, you typed your program onto punched cards, you sent them down to the computer room in a tray for an overnight run just to see if you had any coding errors and hope to goodness that the operator didn't drop the cards.

Eee! That was more than luxury! You were lucky to have a keypunch machine in the 70’s. In our factory we had to get up at three in morning and stand in buckets of cold water to release any static that might bugg*r up computer, then we had to beg paper from the Salvation Army and then use our false teeth to punch holes in it, and then walk six miles to the computing room to deliver it. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #625589 20th May 2017 1:47pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Gonarezhou wrote:

Another reason I use a Mac - less vulnerable to virus attack and time machine back-up.

Not strictly true.
Mac's are as prone to viruses as much as Microsoft ,this is due to the small number of Mac users in the past were criminals wouldn't waste there time on attacking small number of users. It has been noted throughout the world that Mac's are being targeted on a more regular basis as the users are under the impression that they are hacker and virus proof. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #625594 20th May 2017 2:25pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
ARC99 they said the same thing about Linux based servers, that cannot be hacked that easy etc, but if you get someone who knows Linux then its just a matter of a few commands and that's it the full lot goes down, where at least with Microsoft stuff it will at least give a bit of a fight.
What I have found with companies, Is that they seem to practically put every system online! likes of Nissan, the Hospitals etc. Id have thought only certain stuff was allowed access to the internet to prevent this sort of thing happening, you don't see it happening to Lloyds bank. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #625599 20th May 2017 3:25pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Gonarezhou wrote:

Sadly, Mac users are far more likely to click on phishing links due to their belief in a Mac's invincibilty. As Mac's cost more than PCs, Mac owners are likely to be more wealthy so make a better target for crooks.
Post #625958 22nd May 2017 6:21am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Procta wrote:

the Hospitals etc. Id have thought only certain stuff was allowed access to the internet to prevent this sort of thing happening, .

Last time I did any work for the NHS, we had to go through all sorts of contortions due to their restrictions. In the end, I genuinely believe we weakened the security due to the OTT security in place.
Don't forget - the biggest security hole is always the end user. The NHS has plenty of them!
Post #625960 22nd May 2017 6:23am
Procta

United Kingdom 
cisco engineers would say best firewall is not to be plugged in.
When I did my works experience at the eye infirmary, Only a number of systems were linked to the internet, and I tell you what that wasn't many at all! Yeah the end user is to blame, I have said to my mum if your not sure, just delete it.
I have had some bum Amazon ones etc, you can tell due to the Domain isn't correct. The paypal ones are the best, I just open up another window and log into my paypal, I do not go through any links through my emails.
Facebook I think is really to blame for causing spam, As soon as that thing got my Email 10 years ago i get a load of Censored .
I think i should really look at shutting that down really, and switch my Email address to a new one. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #626188 22nd May 2017 11:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>