↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Extended warranty. Good news bad news
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Siwynne

England 
Extended warranty. Good news bad news
Dropped my 2012 110 usw at dealership last Thursday with the dreaded clutch rattle. 48k miles and well serviced. Having owned it for 12 months and having a two year extended warranty I was not too hopeful of a resolution. Call today to say repairs approved and new input shaft, seal and clutch to be fitted. Fairly happy.
Only issue was I discussed changing brake pads and was quoted £440 for both axels.
Needless to say they won't be getting that job.
I also inquired about corroded window blocks covered by the warranty and was told they were regarded as trim and therefore not covered. Surely trim can be removed with no real detrimental structural effect. Anybody any experience of getting these sorted under extended warranty?
Post #626119 22nd May 2017 7:36pm
walfy

I've just had the screen frame replaced due to corrosion. I mentioned thsat the blocks were just as bad, and they were replaced as well. No questions 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #626139 22nd May 2017 8:17pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Go back to them about the window blocks, as they're pretty clearly not trim as they not only hold the windscreen frame in, but attach the front edge of the roof to the car. Laughing

If the dealer still refuses, go above their head and contact JLR customer services directly.
Post #626172 22nd May 2017 9:40pm
Siwynne

England 
Will do.
I've gone to the dealer I bought the car from but there is one closer. Before I kick off proper I'll try them first I'll also let them put the gearbox back together too before throwing peanuts at the service monkey.
Post #626179 22nd May 2017 10:01pm
Leeroy

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
Mine has been in and had the dreaded rattle sorted once but was back today for the very same thing is booked in on the 14th for them to take a proper look and then I will find out if this can be done under the extended warranty.
I had my window blocks replaced and some corrosion done around the window, but I did ask today about perished rear window rubbers and tha was a no.
Mine has done 45k and still really enjoy it I think I will extend the warranty again but guess should wait for the outcome of the rattling and if it is covered

Cheers
Lee
Post #626180 22nd May 2017 10:10pm
Morepower

New Zealand 
I've found the LR warranty a very hit and miss affair... I had some issues which should have been covered, LR customer relations said 'yeah that's covered', However as I was out of the country at the time, I couldn't get the truck to the dealer... Then when I did, I got the usual... Your out of the warranty period...
I've had a genuine LR warranty for last year and have re-new'd it for this year, It's expensive, But saved me having to fork out for a clutch and I think this years will probably go on sorting a minor niggle with the wipers... It's always swings and roundabouts with these things...

Regards

Tim It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #626235 23rd May 2017 8:22am
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I think the problem is the dealers being hit and miss rather than the warranty its self. I think a lot of the time the dealer just takes a guess at whether something might be covered rather than actually checking with the warranty provider.

It pays to go above the dealers head if you're not happy with the initial answer you get from the dealer.

I get the impression JLR aren't as good at spot checking their franchisees as some other manufacturers
Post #626236 23rd May 2017 8:29am
Siwynne

England 
Dealer called whilst I was in work and said all work was complete and could I arrange a time to collect this afternoon. It's 2:30 I said and I don't finish work until 5:30 and you are over an hour away. Erm... was the response
Did he expect me to drop everything when he clicked his fingers??

Collecting tomorrow and driving straight to the tyre fitting place to get four new Goodyear MTR fitted that arrived from Germany this week and then to mot it
Post #626882 25th May 2017 6:40pm
Siwynne

England 
The rattle has gone

But
The clutch has a bite that means I have to push hard to the floor. I can't be bothered to do the 100 mile round trip to get the push rod adjusted so looks like I'll be doing it.
MOT was completed by my local man and I've got the truck back for the bank holiday weekend
Post #627052 26th May 2017 4:15pm
nosnibod

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Check that they've actually done the push rod locknuts up tight. My (ex...) dealership managed to miss that and I found out in the rush hour in Lyon. Towing a caravan... 700 miles from home. With a clutch that would only release if I pressed the pedal into the bulkhead with all my strength.

I thought the new clutch had failed but decided to do a bit of investigation before calling for recovery. Both locknuts spinning freely on the pushrod Whistle Fortunately I had a couple of 13mm spanners with me and and a bottle of super-strength threadlock Bow down Dave
Gracie - 2015 110 XS County Station Wagon
Post #627094 26th May 2017 6:17pm
Siwynne

England 
Adjusted this on Monday and have driven a round trip of about 400 miles since. The gear change is loads better. It is a very positive early disengagement of the clutch now making for clean changes.
I have it on the end of the rod now with no more adjustment available but it works.
Post #628265 1st Jun 2017 6:07pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
E.W. is not available on Defender in Aus, so after 3 yrs ya're "on your own"!
Pickles.
Post #628338 1st Jun 2017 10:19pm
Siwynne

England 
I didnt buy the car until it was just three years old and was provided with two years extended warranty. It took me ages to find the right car about twelve months ago and I wouldn't have bought it without the warranty.
Post #628381 2nd Jun 2017 8:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1