↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > When removing dash...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bushpig

Wales 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alpine White
When removing dash...
I'm doing the twin washer mod this weekend and while the dash will be off, I was wondering if there was anything else that can be serviced / checked or any 'pitfalls' to look out for?
I'm also sealing the bulkhead to windscreen foam gasket, using Sikaflex 256.
Let the list commence... Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams

2012 2.2 Puma
Post #625314 19th May 2017 8:38am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rickydodah

I'd be inclined to remove the wiper wheel boxes and give them a clean and service. I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #625327 19th May 2017 10:12am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
^^ As above, I would give the whole wiper system a service and grease (lubing the motor gearbox, drive rack, wheel boxes, and spindles, and checking the gear/rack fit in the wheelboxes).

You just know that the wipers will fail next week if you have the dash out this week!
Post #625342 19th May 2017 10:46am
Lightningtweeds

Scotland 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Renew both wiper gear boxes and the cable and if you want the WPS.
Post #625402 19th May 2017 2:43pm
Bushpig

Blackwolf, just don't say that too loud! She might hear you Rolling with laughter

The removal process went smoother than expected...
Surprisingly clean, after 5 years of Kalahari dust. Think there is more inside the ducting than outside Rolling Eyes
Did not remove the air control cables, rather just unscrewed the unit from the dash.
The whole wiper assembly is still tip-top will still clean & regrease.
Can now also easily relocate the cruise control box to behind the drivers speaker & clean up the wiring.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams

2012 2.2 Puma
Post #625411 19th May 2017 3:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bushpig

All Back Together
Well, that was completed with much less cussing than expected Thumbs Up
Then on completion, the dash seemed more rigid to the bulkhead and after I drive on a corrugated gravel road, 99% of the rattles are gone.

Wiring all routed more neatly and replaced all the splice connectors with solder butt connectors.
The wipers now managed to clean the screen with help from the apocalyptic deluge of water.
Would recommend this mod to everyone & the dash removal is more mentally daunting than anything else...

I managed to get the dash out, without having to remove the gear lever surround, with the carpet trim seeming like it'll never get back into place, I only removed the gear stick. A 30 second method for replacing the rubber gator... using a plastic trim removal tool, simply hook the gator and pull up while rotating around the stick.

Also extended the remote aerial up the passenger A post and can now use the fob from Jupiter Razz

Thanks to all for your assistance & suggestions...

Now just need to give her a good clean & perhaps even a polish... Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams

2012 2.2 Puma
Post #625954 22nd May 2017 5:45am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
I just changed my wiper wheel boxes out. The old ones didn't look any different all teeth nice and solid, but upon running the (new) rack through them and comparing to the new the new ones had a fair amount more resistance.

I figure the wear actually happens on the guiding side of the wheel box pressed plate steel, so the teeth stay in good nick but the rack slowly acts as a file working its way to a bigger hole, finally letting the teeth slip when you run old wiper blades over dry crud and the wipers get out of sync, causing more stress on the crank arm etc..

As has been said: lubrication is key!

The only other thing I can think of looking for and cleaning up is any corrosion starting up in the usual places (due to the leaks). Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #625990 22nd May 2017 10:03am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Oh yeah, and extend the aerial from the 10AS up the A-pillar !

Simply solder/crimp on some more length and enjoy much better plip reception Thumbs Up Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #625992 22nd May 2017 10:06am
Bushpig

I was very surprised that there was zero corrosion.
Lube'd evrything and gave it all a wipe down with ACF50.
Don't use the wipers much around the Kalahari.
Did notice, while adjusting the nozzles, that the paint on the outside of the bulkhead, below the old vents area is looking 'thin'.
Heading to stealers for them to sort the rust on the bulkhead bonnet hinges & will point this out. Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams

2012 2.2 Puma
Post #626073 22nd May 2017 4:04pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1