↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > First defender trip Scotland and wales plus camping
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Hollywood

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
First defender trip Scotland and wales plus camping
After some advice. it's recently dawned on me Iv seen and travelled very little of my own country. and was thinking about spending 4 days have a drive up to Scotland and heading back via wales (or on the way there) as my friend lives in snowdonia and we often camp there. I'm not bothered about green lanes but would like to do the more "wild" areas of Scotland etc. camping over night. is there anything I need to know or have in mind. and areas that are a must for viewing pleasure.

After some research on it I'm more mind boggled than I was before as the internet is full of different routes based on people opinions. looking into camping seems hard work aswell, Iv never been a fan of camp sites and would rather wild camp with a fire but I'm aware of laws and issues. I was hoping someone could help or give some advice on

Places that are a must see.
routes that are the best to drive visually
possible locations on camping?

If I'm honest after a busy few months at work I'm just after a get away into the wilderness and need to get away from busy Essex for a few days lol
Post #625081 18th May 2017 10:34am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Watching this Smile

As this year we have decided to do a Scotland road trip, We have stayed a Blair Castle caravan site a few times lovely place near Pitlockery.

I'm keen on going to Fort William and maybe to Skye and Argyll and Bute.

Furthest I have been up with the family is the cairngorms which was great Smile

I need to start booking stuff, either Camping, Pods / yurts or do we take a Caravan...
Thumbs Up
Post #625082 18th May 2017 10:44am
Hollywood

i have all the camping stuff and it just got me in he week. Why am I not just chucking all this in he Landy and disappearing for 3-4 days Very Happy
Post #625084 18th May 2017 10:49am
Mdm

United Kingdom 
for me Essex to Scotland could be 2 days in the car and 2 days chilling.not a good balance.

4 days in wales would be good

4 days in the lakes,non tourist side is great

peak district or north dales are equally good and maximise time spent relaxing

if it has to be scotland there is a lot to see and do.20+yrs and im still fining new areas to explore.weve just done a run with a classic car club around perth and i have to say a reat day out with some stunning roadsand hiddem gems.non touristy.

plenty of places like aberfeldy with the river and falls and some good remote roads over the moors
Post #625245 18th May 2017 8:58pm
Stuarth91

Scotland 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Hollywood,

I'm from south west Scotland and did the North coast 500 over the course of a week in May. There's so much to see and so many places that I didn't know about until I was on the road and wished I had another month to explore. Two places I absolutely loved and would highly recommend are Glencoe and Applecross. Both are spectacular and you shouldn't have a problem finding a spot to wild camp. If you fancy a shower and a dose of (nearly) civilisation, the campsite at Applecross is excellent and well priced. It's only a couple of hundred meters from the Applecross Inn where you can have a beer, cracking fish and chips and watch the sun go down over the Cuillins in Skye.

Generally if you follow the road up the west coast you can't go wrong!
Post #625323 19th May 2017 9:42am
simon67

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
Taking my 15 yo daughter plus Husky to Snowdonia first week of June
Any suggestions on really good campsites near Betws-y-Coed, she needs showers and clean toilets (don't want to put her off)

Also couple of dog friendly routes - doing the miners track upto Snowdon or Watkins path
Anything for the second day?

Doing Crib Goch at the end of June with a group of us minus husky, too dangerous with the husky harnessed to you
Post #625346 19th May 2017 10:53am
mrd1990

Wales 2000 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
How close to Betws y Coed?

The Nant Gwynant Campsite is great, it's about a 5min drive from the car park near pen-y-pass so puts you right in the mountains but 20min from Betws y Coed. I've not actually camped there but know they spent a fortune on stuff like a biomass boiler for the facilities so I imagine the toilet block is mint, they also allow fire Twisted Evil

http://gwynant.com/

Most mountains paths are dog friendly (Except tryfan!?), Crib Goch is one of the few paths that isn't, maybe look at doing the Glyders Thumbs Up
Post #625440 19th May 2017 5:36pm
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
I'd definitely recommend the North Coast 500, we did it in the 110 last week with my Dad and brother chasing along on motorbikes, the scenery was great!

If you have a couple of days extra Isle of Skye and Mull are worth exploring
Post #626027 22nd May 2017 12:34pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Definitely the North Coast 500

Plenty of advice on this forum too
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic31177.html

follow this search: http://www.defender2.net/forum/search.php?...rch_time=0 Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #626037 22nd May 2017 1:02pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Currently in Orkney for 2 weeks. Definite lack of Defenders up here, but plenty of tracks up the hills on Hoy with great views.
Post #626124 22nd May 2017 7:45pm
Hollywood

Had a really good read and researched this forum and written down what a you guys have recommended and got a rout going! Leaving on July 28th for 4 days, bypassed wales and heading straight to Scotland, going to book up some sea kayaking in the north west around applecross for the day and now just need to pick son good roads to travel by and down to fort William
Post #626234 23rd May 2017 8:20am

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Belize Green
I did the North Coast 500 just before Christmas last year and can thoroughly recommend it. Rough Guides have just brought out a guide book for the route and surrounding areas which may be worth purchasing...

http://www.northcoast500.com/shop/nc500-th...t-500.aspx
Post #626285 23rd May 2017 11:16am
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
If you are travelling round and about Fort William on your way up/down the A82 to Tyndrum is lovely- in fact its one of my favourite roads.- If you stop off at Glen Etive, there are some beautiful waterfalls, and is also a filming location from Skyfall, if thats your thing?!

If you do the A85 then A84 from there to Callander, the road is OK, and you pass the Falls of Leny, which are pretty nice to see.

Chris
Post #626394 23rd May 2017 5:58pm
Hollywood

Guys on looking at this map I really need some advice on roads to drive, I wouldn't mind going off the beaten track and not just following a satnav. I have written down a number of roads that people have mentioned. so ......

From the national park, to Inverness then stopping at Apple cross for kayaking. any particular lovely roads or sights?
Post #627633 29th May 2017 8:01pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Plockton is a must Thumbs Up
Post #627636 29th May 2017 8:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>