↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Unexpected clutch diagnosis - but it worked.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
NickEJ

Slovenia 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Galway Green
Unexpected clutch diagnosis - but it worked.
I've had a bit of clutch judder for a while now in my 2004 Td5 90XS and I assumed the worst last week when, on starting up in the morning, the clutch pedal went right to the floor and I was unable to select any gears. Fortunately, I was at home so after quickly checking the fluid level and slave cylinder for any obvious issues (and finding none) I had it recovered to the local Land Rover dealer. I did a quick check for an independent but they don't seem to exist here so I had to bite the bullet and await the huge bill for a new clutch, DMF etc..

So I waved the car off on a low loader and awaited the outcome and a few days later they called to say it was ready to be picked up and the bill was €160 (inc tax and towing). I thought I'd mis-heard and asked him to repeat as the language barrier does sometimes cause problems but he confirmed the amount again - much to my surprise.

Having overcome the shock I rushed round to the dealers where they explained more fully. Apparently, the round end of the push rod from the slave cylinder had worn down and, presumably, was no longer pushing against the lever. He then explained that they didn't have one in stock so all they did was to weld some metal onto the old one and machine it down to the required shape! I was amazed, it reminded me of an African Land Rover repair. The thing is, not only is the clutch working again but the judder I had before has now gone.

I fully expect to replace the clutch some point soon but I hope that this has given it a bit of a longer life.

Thought this might be useful for anyone with clutch issues. You never know, you might be as lucky as me. I'll let you know how long it lasts!
Post #625318 19th May 2017 9:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1