↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Coolant change TD5 'Fan off to gain access'?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Retrostu

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Coolant change TD5 'Fan off to gain access'?
Please can anybody help me I have a 2005 TD5 I'm trying to do a couldn't change.

After rolling around on my back and then discovering that I need to remove the underbody Guard it just doesn't move out of the way enough to allow access to the pipework for the radiator unless I remove other suspension components which I don't fancy doing.

All of the clips on the radiator appear to be stock standard items from Land Rover but the one at the bottom directly below the fan looks To be a Jubilee and would allow me easy access to undo this clip and drain the water, however the fan itself is in the way so I'm guessing it will be a case of removing the fan to gain access to the Jubilee clip as I can see no other way of getting to this pipework.

I've never taken a viscous fan off aware I require a special tool is it that hard is it doable or am I just worrying over nothing.

Please note my front area is quite full with Aircon, intercooler and radiator etc. It's more important to concentrate on what's ahead of you than what you have left behind.

This is what I keep watching to remind me why I own/keep my Defender. https://youtu.be/x4DZgOcgn1s
Post #624652 16th May 2017 5:38pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
With the special tool they're dead easy to remove, and luckly for the TD5 the locking tool and spanner is cheap.

The hardest part is getting the thread to start when you're trying to screw it back on. It's a left hand thread normally and it's always awkwards trying to hold the fan square while screwing it, but once it's started, it's easy.
Post #624657 16th May 2017 5:51pm
Retrostu

Oh ok I'll do a search for the defender TD5 viscous fan spanner?.

Im guessing all the same size?. It's more important to concentrate on what's ahead of you than what you have left behind.

This is what I keep watching to remind me why I own/keep my Defender. https://youtu.be/x4DZgOcgn1s
Post #624668 16th May 2017 6:51pm
zsd-puma

Post #624669 16th May 2017 6:53pm
Retrostu

I saw this set in a you tube video but he said the jokes were not made in the correct position and he said they could of been made by 'blind dog' instead but may be just a dodgy batch made at 4pm on a Friday lol.

I'll call them or 'flatdog' to enquirer further.

It's Left hand thread too yeah? It's more important to concentrate on what's ahead of you than what you have left behind.

Post #624681 16th May 2017 7:39pm
Retrostu

zsd-puma wrote:
http://www.paddockspares.com/td5-viscous-fan-spanner-set.html

If your in Kent too as am I can't i borrow yours........please. Whistle It's more important to concentrate on what's ahead of you than what you have left behind.

Post #624682 16th May 2017 7:40pm
Baz8046

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
It's a normal right hand thread on a Td5.
They can be hard to get off if they haven't been off for a while but normally come off with a bit of persuasion.
I just use a generic tool which holds the bolt heads on the pulley.
If you are local to me and want a hand just let me know Thumbs Up Defender Td5 Commercial 2002
Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE 2005
Discovery 4 SDV6 Landmark 2016
Post #624697 16th May 2017 8:18pm
zsd-puma

Retrostu wrote:
zsd-puma wrote:
http://www.paddockspares.com/td5-viscous-fan-spanner-set.html

If your in Kent too as am I can't i borrow yours........please. Whistle

I don't have a specific TD5 one, but i have done viscous fans on various other enignes, it's always easier with the locking tool. If the Flatdog one is no good there is an alternative made by Laser tools and i think Britpart do one that fits most Land Rover designed engines (ie. Not BMW or Ford Engines). You seldom need anything special in the way of a spanner, a nice long spanner helps with leverage, but the locking tool is the important bit.

On most engines (there are exceptions) you can normally jamb a pry bar in the pulley bolts to lock it while just using a spanner on the fan nut, but it's a million times easier with a locking tool and doesn't marr the components. They're well worth the investment.

Quote:
It's a normal right hand thread on a Td5.

It might well be. I was only quoting my general experience with engines. On most engines the fan is a left hand thread so it doesn't undo it's self, but depending how the belt is routed it can be a right hand thread. Either way with the correct tool if it doesn't undo one way it'll go the other.
Post #624735 16th May 2017 10:42pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
If I remember correctly there are two bleed/drain nipples. One at the top of the engine on the right as you look at the front.

One on the top of the hose that runs along the bottom of the radiator. Might be easier than removing the fan?
Post #624750 17th May 2017 12:40am
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
For removing the TD5 fan, I'm using standard 36mm flat key and hammer. Place the key on the fan, tap it with hammer and then just screw the fan out. The belt will hold the fan pulley enough to loosen the fan. No need for holding the pulley. For standard fan, only one tap is necessary, for very tight or held by corrosion, few repeated taps. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #624773 17th May 2017 7:51am
zsd-puma

yes sometimes the belt will hold it enough to crack the nut off, but when it comes to refitting the fan it's unlikely to hold it securely enough to tighten it back up with any certainty.

It might, but you'll only find out when it falls off and tears a hole in the radiator.
Post #624833 17th May 2017 1:22pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Why? just do it the same way - tap the key with hammer. During engine run, the fan tightens itself. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #624835 17th May 2017 1:28pm
Retrostu

Ok then, I'm out of time this week but I'll try next week if not I'll just Book in with local Indy as apparently bleeding system etc can a real pig? It's more important to concentrate on what's ahead of you than what you have left behind.

Post #624879 17th May 2017 4:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1