Home > In Car Electronics > Naka/Hirschmann Aerial
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
Naka/Hirschmann Aerial
Gents,
I've bought a new unfitted aerial of the above type from a fellow forumeer.
Trouble is that I've fitted it but I'm completely underwhelmed by its reception performance. Given that everyone thinks these are the dogs gonads, what have I done wrong ?
It's securely fitted to the wing with the earth lead going to the bulkhead earth stud and receives on behalf of a Sony DSX-A60BT.
Any suggestions chaps ?
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #619883 27th Apr 2017 11:10am
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Not really sure what you can do wrong with fitting them.

So long as the earths are good it should just work. Does the antenna cable have any tight kinks in it?

Is the earth for the head unit good? Try touching an earth cable on the radio casing and see if the signal suddenly improves to test it.
Post #619891 27th Apr 2017 11:58am
Intercept

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
I've got the Naka aerial on mine and the reception is excellent. Unscrew the whip from the wing mount and check that there is no corrosion on the contact (mine has some copper anti-seize on it in the photo).

Click image to enlarge

The ground plane must be good for the aerial to function properly. Mine is earthed to the wing as circled below:

Click image to enlarge
Post #619898 27th Apr 2017 1:15pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
This is along shot, and I have no experience with this aerial, but do you have a USB charger plugged in?

I have an 02 plate Focus which I use backwards and forwards to the Park and Ride everyday. My radio reception went really bad (especially BBCR4 which is my chosen morning listen). I got on eBay looking for a replacement head unit and then thought it could be the aerial loose on the head unit.

Waiting for the weekend to investigate, I wanted to charge my phone in the wife's car. Removed the USB charger from the Cigarette Lighter and thought no more about it. Next morning, Radio working fine! Got home, plugged the charger in and it went pants again. I have experimented with several USB chargers and some do, some don't. Even my wife's TomTom charger knackers the reception in both the Ford and the Defender (although my Garmin one doesn't). I have the standard Land Rover 1970's wing mounted aerial Rolling with laughter and head unit.

As zsd-puma said, not much to go wrong. Maybe it is something not obvious to the aerial / head unit??

Good luck.
Post #619931 27th Apr 2017 3:47pm
Mo Murphy

Thanks Gents, I'll investigate 👍
Post #620543 30th Apr 2017 2:49pm
benjiraison

England 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
My usb charger also causes havoc with the radio
Post #620555 30th Apr 2017 4:20pm
JustFX

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Coniston Green
If the USB is causing issues then may I suggest you buy some ferrite cores to clip onto some of the offending wires to reduce noise on the wiring system. 
Post #620567 30th Apr 2017 6:20pm
Retrostu

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Re: Naka/Hirschmann Aerial
Mo Murphy wrote:
Gents,
I've bought a new unfitted aerial of the above type from a fellow forumeer.
Trouble is that I've fitted it but I'm completely underwhelmed by its reception performance. Given that everyone thinks these are the dogs gonads, what have I done wrong ?
It's securely fitted to the wing with the earth lead going to the bulkhead earth stud and receives on behalf of a Sony DSX-A60BT.
Any suggestions chaps ?
Mo

I started a thread below your re DAB AERIALS but after removing my normal standard aerial I found that it made no difference to the radio reception and in fact one of the small large copper washers fell apart and I couldn't put it back correctly but it still made no difference to the aerial reception.

In the end I fitted an inline signal booster which connects to stereo remote blue wire through aerial itself and even then noticed that when the truck was running it was even worse so I decided to take a trip to Halfords to buy a an inline suppressor too which after fitting this the radio reception was no better and my dash cam stayed on permanently because of the suppressor so I removed the suppressor.

so anyway after I had gone to the effort of fitting a new ground Earth for the suppressor I decided to leave in situ and join it together with the head unit earth and connect into to the back of the stereo unit harness and hay presto it works a treat no hissing and I get all stations better than ever, even with Ariel at half mast!!.

So in a nut shell after you have removed your head unit (TD5) look into the appatchure and you should see a copper coloured self tapping screw right in the middle at the back which holds dash to bulk head remove this attach an eyelet and connect together with your stereo earth worth a try costs peanuts.

I suggest the inline signal booster too though to cover all bases plus you need a aerial adaptor PC5-27H ic 130997 and PC5-52 ic 779405

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...reId=10001

I have both a pioneer and Sony head unit and all fit together to work correctly.

Or just try earth eyelet trick fifst to bulk head as I believe this is steel no Ali IIRC? It's more important to concentrate on what's ahead of you than what you have left behind.

This is what I keep watching to remind me why I own/keep my Defender. https://youtu.be/x4DZgOcgn1s
Post #620751 1st May 2017 2:24pm
Mo Murphy

Well just to update all. I must have installed on a weekend of bad atmospherics for fm because it's been fine since !
I dismantled and reassembled anyway, made sure everything was clean and tight which it was.
So alls well that ends well 😊
Post #623848 13th May 2017 3:34pm
Sadi

Namibia 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Heritage Edition SW Grasmere Green
Received as a gift one of the dash cam/reverse camera combinations that clips on to the rear view mirror.

Soon after installation the radio performance dropped dramatically.

Checked the aerial connection to radio - it was fine.

By chance one day the camera charging cable was disconnected from the cigarette lighter and suddenly radio was back to normal.

Also tried it at the back of the vehicle where there is a fixed power supply with 3x cigarette lighter type sockets - same result.

Can only deduct that it is a radio frequency interference.

Since then noticed that it interferes with Bluetooth audio too.

Now charging it overnight and use it mainly for reversing camera purposes on battery power alone.

But maybe looking at one of the Garmin options to replace the above.
Post #624305 15th May 2017 1:30pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
The standard aerial is to prone to being snapped too in my opinion which is a concern.
As most of you know it's not great for reception either.
I'm not sure earthing the wing is great in that location as, as far as I'm aware it's mainly aluminium in those areas. But if it works it's probably okay for just and aerial.

There are far better steel earth points nearer the front each side of the radiator.

Hope the OP won't get comments for not doing a spell check and typing 'Nakatanenga' in full rather than just the shorter abbreviation which we all know as 'Naka' anyway.
Rolling Eyes Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #624309 15th May 2017 1:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1