Home > Off Topic > Two dogs?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
Two dogs?
Hello all,

Hope you don't mind me asking but it seems many here have more than one dog. My dog is now one year old and I've been asking around the local dog walkers when the right time to get a second dog is, apparently it's about now when the current one is still young and therefore more likely to accept another.

So my question is about how much more effort is needed with a second dog? I'm thinking the majority of stuff will already be covered, like a dog proof garden, a car big enough to transport two (got that covered Very Happy ), three walks a day etc. I can easily work out how much money it'd cost so don't worry about that. But what else should I consider before getting a second? Is a second dog twice as much fun as one or double the nightmare?

Thanks all,
Andy.
Post #623629 12th May 2017 2:11pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Hello. We have Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers, (Tollers), The first was three years old when we got the second. When the older dog is trained a lot of that is a example set for the younger one. This makes life easier. With regard to walking, the puppy can only do a fraction of what the older dog needs. Puppies need small frequent walks, whereas our older dog gets two longish walks a day, about an hour each. Dependant upon the breed it may be upwards of a year before they can both go out together for a long walk, bones are still developing etc.
I can only comment on having two dogs of the same breed, the elder a bitch the younger a dog, they get on fine but the bitch rules the roost. Different breeds may not match as well , working dogs and sight dogs ?, I think this needs further investigation.
Two will be twice the fun as they play together, but they are all twice the work!
Hope this helps 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #623636 12th May 2017 2:40pm
jzk841

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Tonga Green
I have two Wirehair Vizslas, a male 3 years and a bitch who is 2 years... I think it is more work depending on the size of the dog.. for example my wife struggles with both of them on a lead (although yours may be better trained than ours !) however they do get on well, they play with one another and generally I cant imagine going back to just having the one ! the breed is important, Vizsla's for example can get very jealous of each other !

We dont regret getting a second.
Post #623645 12th May 2017 3:18pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Apart from when dog 1 is a pup or elderly and decrepit there isn't a bad time. I'd just make sure dog no.1 is good and steady before introducing a pup, and that varies by breed / amount of training / nature of the dog. Good luck!!
Post #623646 12th May 2017 3:23pm
Rickydodah

I've never had a problem introducing a new pack member, allow the dogs to meet at their own pace preferably somewhere neutral and just observe their behaviours being ready to step in if needed. Older dogs generally accept pups very well, older dogs can take more time as they may already have some issues which mày come to light. They will develope their own hierarchy so don't worry unduly if a bossy pup thinks it can take over, the older dog will step up if it feels the need but many are happy for the newcomer to take over. Dogs are great observers and will often mimic the older dog with things like house training and training in general. The biggest problem I've ever encountered is competiveness, sometimes this can be an advantage but often leads to things like resource guarding, if the resource is you or another handler than this can lead to friction. Some say this behaviour is jealousy but in my opinion dogs lack the cognitive ability to form this and see their handler as a possession to be guarded. I don't think there is a best age to introduce another dog, some of my younger dogs are grumpier than the old ones and less forgiving of a newcomer's advances, but like people some dogs just take an instant dislike to one another but with patience can be turned around. For example we were once running the Spaniels when picking up but one of them was put off by a GSP running in on him and for a long time would not tolerate any larger dog near him, with a bit of distraction and a lot ot treating this was eradicated and now he couldn't be bothered. Good luck multiple dogs are twice the fun and twice the trouble a bit like owning two Defenders in a way. Thumbs Up I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #623651 12th May 2017 3:59pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
18 months ago I went through a similar process.

We had an 18 month old Border Collie bitch that had got to the point where she was very little work given that she loved being given "jobs" to do and was coming on really well in agility competitions. I work from home and she was so calm and chilled during the day that I could get on with my work and she'd keep me company.

We'd always wanted a second dog and figured that, logically, walking two dogs is no more difficult than one. We already had a routine centred around a dog and that would stay the same be it with one dog or two. As a bonus the new dog would give her a companion and play mate permanently at her side.

By getting another dog while she was still young we'd ensure that they would get old together and we won't be left in a situation where we have one veteran dog that is slowing down and a much younger dog that is still full of energy.

On paper at least it all made perfect sense...

Then, along came Tyg. Now, don't get me wrong, he's a wonderful dog and I wouldn't change him for the world but if I could I'd go back to my self 18 months ago and give myself a good hard kick in the gonads. There is no way a second dog is no more work than a single dog, it's not even double the amount of work, sometimes it seems like it's more like triple the work.

Like bloody kids they constantly wind each other up and want whichever toy the other one has, we've had 18 months of sleep deprivation because they constantly wake each other up so we haven't slept much past 5 am since we got him and, as a night person I rarely get to bed before 1am.

There are definite positives to having more than one dog and there's no way I really regret making the decision, I just wish I'd not been quite so naive before we got him so we could have prepared a little better ! If you ever say to yourself "two dogs isn't much harder than one" do yourself a favour, slap yourself around the face a few times and repeat the mantra "don't talk Censored ".

That said, we do have two Border Collies and they aren't the easiest breed to deal with at the best of times so maybe we have made life hard for ourselves. i did finally find a navigator that doesn't argue with me though so that's a bonus.

Click image to enlarge
 http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #623661 12th May 2017 5:21pm
xcentric

Different view: two dogs can be company for each other, play with each other, and so be less effort than one. I personally think that, in my experience so far, two dogs have appeared overall happier than one. Depends on breeds, etc, and you'll have to go through another round of pain with house training, nighttime separation (howling), etc. Bit more hassle to get in the car, and makes you think carefully when going off on a long road trip, but all doable.

We now have three, and the most recent one is an Irish Wolfhound - now that does start to introduce some other experiences......
Post #623710 12th May 2017 8:02pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Just got our new Black Labrador pup Megan who is 10 weeks old. Our other Labrador Lily is 9. Too larger age gap? Well if you have two dogs like we have had, you don't get much of a choice. Our old fella Sam died last September at nearly 14.5 years old and Lily, being used to having a fellow dog, had been lost and very lonely. The new Pup seems to have not overly ruffled Lily (although she does get wound up). Make sure they have there own space and make sure the older dog doesn't get left out (as we all know puppies are cute and require and get a lot of attention).
Post #623714 12th May 2017 8:12pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I've always had multiple dogs and would add that it is important not to let the resident animal/s perceive that the newcomer is receiving more of your attention than they are. Jealousy can cause major problems so do not allow partners, kids or guests to concentrate their attention on the new animal.

You need to be seen to be pack leader at all times.

Yes it will be more work

....and double the vet fees [he says while one of his Labs is at the vet being unzipped yet again to deal with a blockage caused by swallowing stones] Rolling Eyes Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #623750 12th May 2017 10:19pm
Rashers

I'd fit a zip, Steve Whistle

Seriously though, I hope you get your Labrador home and well soon.

Then you can repaint all the door frames where the big plastic colour has scraped past Thumbs Up
Post #623758 12th May 2017 10:57pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Gonna go against the trend here...

My last dog was obedient, trained, walked on my left side with his head on my leg so he knew which way to follow, would Come, Sit, Stay (if I were gone for two days I'd expect him to be in the same place when I returned), knew when he ran towards me to approach from my right then come round the back of me to end up on the usual left side (think about it, if we're both running and he comes straight to my left I'm gonna trip over him). I/we were professionally trained by a RAF handler (their dogs go for the back rather than an arm like Police dogs, less chance of being stabbed), I've forgotten most of his Commands, better companion than my kids.

And then my wife brought home another dog. A "rescue" dog in that its owners could no longer be bothered with him and were going to have him put down.

The two together became a pack, absolutely useless, my mother's Corgi made the mistake of snapping at them and they ripped it apart. It didn't die immediately but a few days later, possibly from shock.

When I travel less I may get another dog (most likely a retired Greyhound), but I'll never, ever, ever, ever again have two.

Peter
Post #623849 13th May 2017 3:41pm
Rashers

Peter, that is a really bad experience and I feel so sorry for all involved.

And I suppose this is good advice. Dogs, like humans, don't all get on all of the time.

My last Black Labrador Sam hated the new Yellow Labrador Lily when she arrived on the scene. Not to the point of violence, he just walked in the opposite direction. It took a long time for those two to tolerate each other.

Rescue dogs can be a challenge. It's not always down to the re-homers as they can't know the history of each and every dog in question. Saying that, I have known plenty of really good temperament rescues who have been excellent companions.

+1 for a retired Greyhound. These make excellent pets, are very loyal and loving and don't need the enormous amount of exercise that most people imagine (I believe they are actually quite lazy and enjoy sleeping on the settee). And there are loads that need re-homing. Having seen that side of Greyhound racing, it is not something I will ever want to go to.
Post #623883 13th May 2017 6:47pm
RoddyK05

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Yellow
I can echo Rashers first post. We lost Andy in January at just over 12yo. Duncan at 9 very much missed his big brother and it was obvious he was not happy. I wouldn't have been in any rush to get another pup but seeing how it affected Duncan, we felt we had to do it. Along comes Gordon - now 16 weeks - and Dunc has a new lease of life. I had forgotten what hard work a new pup can be, but he is showing signs of being an excellent dog so I think he will be worth it. Is one dog easier - definitely for me, but having two means they have company while we are out, at night time and so they can play together.
So in summing up - it will be hard work, at times you will wonder if you made the right move, your older dog will have company when you are not there, it will indeed be a long time before you can exercise them together and vet, food & insurance fees will double. Your dog will thank you though 🐾

PS, Labs rule Thumbs Up
Post #623955 14th May 2017 12:07am
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Mine is a slightly different story. When I got Lyra off my parents (she is third generation Lab in our family) the intention was to breed from her in a few years so Mum and Dad would have a replacement pup for Sandy, her grandmother.

Sandy's still going strong at 14 1/2 and Rosie and Tundra (Lyra's mother and uncle) are 10. Since I spend the day at work I started thinking I'd keep one of the pups to keep her company. Enter Tali one of Lyra's daughters, because of the other dogs ages Mum and Dad decided to hold off on a pup for one of Tali's.

I'm glad I kept her because although there's over three years between them they play a lot and Lyra also helps teach Tali how to behave, she's been pretty easy to train so far.

Click image to enlarge
 Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #623984 14th May 2017 8:52am
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
Thanks everyone for the feedback, good and bad. I've spoken to the breeder and they'll be pups available in September (if everything goes to plan) so we have plenty of time before we need to decide.

To add more balance to the discussion, I spoke to a woman on our common with two Scottish Deerhounds and she said she got the second one to keep the first company but they don't get on and are two completely independent dogs, a bit of a PITA!

But most others have said it's been OK. I guess you never really know until you do it.
Post #624184 14th May 2017 9:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>