Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 24 <123 ... 101112 ... 222324>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Hi Simon,

It came from LRDirect. Here you go:

https://www.lrdirect.com/AWR5988-Fnsher-Piece/?keep_https=yes Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #619084 24th Apr 2017 10:55am
shayes

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Coniston Green
Thanks Darren, will have a look at that, Cheers Simon
Post #619096 24th Apr 2017 11:33am
LandRoverAnorak

Got a few more bits and pieces done this week.

I picked up a decent central instrument cowl from eBay, to replace the original that had been hacked about. This enabled me to tidy up the centre dash area and re-connect the 12v socket. still got the wiper switch to do but that's more involved as a lot of the existing wiring needs to be repaired.

Click image to enlarge

Finished off my new bumper with a number plate and, after a degree of faffing around, shortened a pin to suit the tow point:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I umm'd and ah'd about positioning the number plate - flush with the top or flush with the bottom of the bumper. There are pro's and con's for each but I eventually went for flush with the bottom.

I also fitted my NATO hitch to the rear. I've got a day at the Emergency Services Day at Brooklands tomorrow and my 90 is going to be the subject of a Tirfor winch challenge, so needs easy to use attachment points front and rear.

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 5th Jul 2017 5:27pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #620595 30th Apr 2017 7:20pm
L110CDL

England 
Nice double pin hitch you got there LRA Whistle Nice nato hitch as well Thumbs Up Ive done the same thing as well with a nato hitch Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #620632 30th Apr 2017 8:55pm
LandRoverAnorak

Tiger wrote:
Darren, I've got a 'ropey' would need recovering bit of roof trim that goes above the rear door if you want it?

It would neaten up the area behind the interior strip light

Matt, I've just picked up a complete headlining from eBay that includes this bit of trim, so won't need to take you up on your offer after all. Many thanks, though. Darren

Post #621470 3rd May 2017 8:59pm
LandRoverAnorak

A bit of success on eBay saw me collect a late type rear door and many of the associated bits and pieces, together with a full headlining yesterday. As the latter is both large and fragile, getting it fitted was top priority, which became todays' task.

I started with this - what I think is the original front headlining and the glue remains in the rear where the previous owner had glued carpet to the roof:

Click image to enlarge

With the old headlining removed and the roof cleaned of dust and cobwebs, the front is pristine:

Click image to enlarge

The new installation began with some Silentcoat. I decided that coverage of between about a third and a half of each panel section would be good enough for the roof and it certainly made a difference when knocking the panels afterwards:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Over that went some Silentcoat Isolator, although I didn't have quite enough to cover the whole roof, which was annoying. I've ordered some more but I've gone for some generic 6mm closed cell foam rather than Silentcoat as it was hugely cheaper.

Click image to enlarge

With as much of that done as I could, it was time to fit the new front section of headlining. Almost none of the holes matched the older version so I've had to drill new ones:

Click image to enlarge

As the headlining is from a much younger vehicle, it has a hole for a volumetric alarm sensor. As my 90 isn't so equipped, I'll probably cover the hole with a life hammer, for which I'll make up a little backing plate.

I fitted a new interior light, provided by Blackwolf of this parish:

Click image to enlarge

Before I fitted the light, I insulated the backplate to avoid any issues with accidentally blown fuses in the future:

Click image to enlarge

I've got to make some minor alterations to the wiring for this new light, which will do away with the off switch that's currently on the dash. I also want to obtain the proper two pin connector for it.

The rear view mirror isn't back in yet as I've rubbed down and painted the bracket.

I've re-used the original sun visors, which need a bit of a clean, but I did polish up the heads of the mounting screws!

Click image to enlarge

I should get the rest of it done in a couple of days when the extra foam arrives. Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 5th Jul 2017 5:20pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #622546 7th May 2017 9:23pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Looking good Thumbs Up ... a full headlining makes a big difference to the noise, condensation and warmth.. Its well worth the effort fitting one. 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #622763 8th May 2017 8:15pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Are you not going to fit a better interior light? I fitted a mud one after my original one had seen better days. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #623126 10th May 2017 12:11pm
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Did you new door come with heated glass and brake light

Another part that you're welcome to if it's any use?

Click image to enlarge
Post #623129 10th May 2017 12:29pm
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks Matt. My new door did come with glass and brake light though, fortunately.

Procta wrote:
Are you not going to fit a better interior light? I fitted a mud one after my original one had seen better days.

I prefer the look of these lights, although they'll get LED bulbs in due course, hence the insulation of the back plate. It's also a nice improvement over the original glass bowl version.

In other news, after looking for months I've just secured a late drivers door via eBay. Woo hoo! It's an all electric version so will have to be converted to manual operation but I don't mind as finding one at all has been such a chore. Darren

Post #623143 10th May 2017 1:07pm
L110CDL

England 
Great news with the door Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #623255 10th May 2017 9:00pm
LandRoverAnorak

Ha, looks like I spoke too soon Rolling Eyes Got a message from the seller to say he'd discovered some damage not shown in the photos, which turned out to be a hole punched in the skin beneath the lock. Money now refunded and the hunt continues Sad Darren

Post #623464 11th May 2017 6:19pm
L110CDL

England 
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Maybe one day Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #623501 11th May 2017 8:20pm
LandRoverAnorak

This weekend I finally had chance to finish installing my headlining. First job was to finish covering the roof with closed cell foam:

Click image to enlarge

After wrestling the rear headlining section into place, next job was to install the rear interior light. I fixed the back plate to the central rib of the roof with a rivnut. This was to both to give a bit of support to the centre of the headlining and provide a good non-switched earth.

I then threaded a three core cable between the front and rear lights, with suitable connectors to suit the light unit as the proper connector isn't available separately:

Click image to enlarge

To avoid accidentally shorting out the light on the backplate, I taped a small piece of plasticard across the back:

Click image to enlarge

And fixed in place:

Click image to enlarge

It was a similar story at the front except I couldn’t fix the backplate to the roof as the shape of the headlining meant it didn’t sit properly.

The original wiring (constant live and switched earth) were joined with the wires to the rear light in crimp connectors:

Click image to enlarge

Above the rear door, I drilled holes and installed rivnuts to suit the grab handles that fit with the ‘telephone’ section of headlining:

Click image to enlarge

The grab handles that I’m using came from a Discovery I as they are identical to the Defender ones but cheaper.

And the finished install:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

In practice, it’s not quite finished. The rear ‘telephone’ panel has four fir tree fixings across the top but my hardtop doesn’t have the brackets for them to fix to. I intend to make some from aluminium and glue them into place. I’ll also make some new brackets to allow me to reinstate my LED strip light and some sort of infills for the Alpine light recesses, but those jobs are all for another day. Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 5th Jul 2017 5:13pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #625811 21st May 2017 5:23pm
LandRoverAnorak

And because it was a sunny day Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 22nd May 2017 8:20pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #625816 21st May 2017 5:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 11 of 24 <123 ... 101112 ... 222324>