↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > 1989 Ninety CSW - Update: 8 cylinders
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 19 <123 ... 567 ... 171819>
Print this entire topic · 
trickster5000

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arles Blue
Annoyingly it was very well behaved this time last year until I the head gasket went around June. Since then it just doesn't seem to be as reliable. It used to start on the first turn of the key, and we never had any cooling issues. Also had issues with black smoke after I did it.

I'm sure it'll sort itself out, just frustrating to keep hitting problems! Having to spend all my pennies on maintenance rather than on some exciting upgrades! Laughing Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html
Post #620642 30th Apr 2017 10:13pm
corgi1

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Don't get down-hearted, your doing a great job, you have a very special vehicle there, I bet none of your mates have one ! it will sort its self out, when can you drive it yourself?

chin up mate your doing great Bow down
Pete
Post #620656 30th Apr 2017 10:47pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
trickster5000 wrote:
Beginning to worry the Defender simply isn't going to be reliable enough for daily use...

It's only failed because of a poorly thought out modification. This is a well known fault with the rad-mounted electric fans.

Either make up a bracket (I did this) or, as I later did, throw it away and go back to the viscous unit.
Post #620698 1st May 2017 9:03am
trickster5000

corgi1 wrote:
I bet none of your mates have one ! it will sort its self out, when can you drive it yourself?

They certainly don't! It's the usual Fiestas and Corsas so I'm definitely unique! I've got my theory booked for early June (just after my birthday), and then I will be able to book my practical. According to my mates there's a big waiting list though on the practicals (up to 2 months Shocked ) so I don't expect I'll have a full licence til maybe August/September! I will however, be able to take it out on the road with my parents this summer which is very exciting!! Very Happy

Retroanaconda - Thank you! That's a very helpful article, put straight into my bookmarks. I have been suspect of the rad for a little while, fins bent/missing, hot and cold spots and then the very dodgy fan mountings. Certainly when I get the new rad I'll be doing a proper job and make up a bracket for the fan. Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html

Last edited by trickster5000 on 1st May 2017 11:16am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #620703 1st May 2017 9:15am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
In relation to the radiator itself I had my local radiator company make up a new copper/brass one for me. Cheaper than I could get one online, and far less hassle.
Post #620713 1st May 2017 10:30am
trickster5000

So it looks like the old girl will be off the road for a while....
The expansion tank and radiator springing leaks in the space of a week is too big a coincidence to ignore, so we had a chat with our local mechanic. He said to be safe, we should whip the head off and check it for warping. Since we skimmed it last time I did the HG, we're probably going to end up replacing the head.

Unfortunately, I have exams starting in a couple of weeks so it'll have to wait until they're over. Doing it the second time around (it's going to be almost to the week a year ago when I did the HG last year) should be easier, so hopefully I'll be a bit quicker than last time.

Obviously while the coolant's out I'll replace the rad and make up a proper fan mounting. Matt.

Post #622381 7th May 2017 12:36pm
L110CDL

England 
Good decision you made, your exams come first Thumbs Up With the landy off the road you will not have to worry about it until you have finished your exams Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #622500 7th May 2017 8:39pm
trickster5000

L110CDL wrote:
Good decision you made, your exams come first Thumbs Up

So everyone keeps saying... Rolling Eyes Laughing

No, seriously though it's nice to have something to look forward to when they're over (as if starting to drive wasn't enough) Thumbs Up Matt.

Post #622536 7th May 2017 10:01pm
L110CDL

England 
Yep, study hard and then you play hard Wink At least you will know your landy inside out and learning to drive should not be a chore, just depends on who you got to teach you Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #622540 7th May 2017 10:10pm
trickster5000

I don't have an exam for 2 weeks so I decided to start on the cylinder head. I had the head off by lunchtime, thankfully no troubles - no snapped studs Very Happy

At first I thought there had been a critical HG failure as there was water everywhere when I took the head off but I realised I forgot to undo the drainage plug on the side of the block... Embarassed

I'll get the head sent off for testing, skimmed it last time so it'll probably get replaced this time if there's any problems. Gasket looks OK (it is only a year old) so still not really sure what the problem is. I have a suspicion all these recent problems stem from the off road day last summer when the fuse went for the electric fan and the engine got very hot. So in a way it'll be good news if the head is warped as then we will know we have found the problem.

Also took the rad out, lot of broken fins and obviously the hole where the fan was mounted.

All in all, a very enjoyable birthday! Very Happy Also had my first driving lesson today which was good fun Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Matt.

Post #627055 26th May 2017 5:23pm
Matt90

United Kingdom 1990 Defender 90 2.5 TD HT Bronze Green
Once did the head on a mini I had and the gasket went very soon after, turned out to be nothing wrong with the engine or gasket, it was down to my torque wrench reading incorrectly, if you can't find a fault it's worth checking,
Good luck with it 👍
Post #627059 26th May 2017 5:34pm
trickster5000

So an early start this morning - a long trip up to Scotland for a 300tdi engine and LT77 gearbox! Very Happy
Me and my dad took the trailer, had some fun trying to manhandle it onto the trailer between the three of us in today's baking heat without a forklift or engine hoist. He also threw in a few extras (intercooler, airbox, turbo) he had knocking around which will be handy as spares.

Engine looks to be in good nick with all the ancillaries.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

He also had a head lying around which we said we'd take, but looking at it more closely, it doesn't look like a 300 head, injectors are slightly off at an angle, and the rocker mountings are different. Can anyone confirm if this is a 200tdi head?

Click image to enlarge

Looking forward to getting this in soon. Plan is to bolt the two together out of the car and then drop the engine, gearbox and transfer box all in together. Has anyone got any tips or do's/don'ts for getting the old engine out and new one in? TIA Matt.

Post #632131 18th Jun 2017 9:07pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Sorry to hear your troubles there matt, Things can go wrong which is a nightmare and a half. Before you fit this replacement unit, id change the timing belt and other odds and sods while its out. It will give you a piece of mind, and one less thing to worry about. Engine out jobs I have done on another car, all I can say on that one is prep well, remove what needs to be removed to make your life easier and safer, taking a lot of photos too. Just for your ref.
If a job is going really well, Stop and take a break, that way you will come back to it on a mental high.
As for your engine troubles with the Head gasket, it might be a sticky thermostat, Also if the rad isn't been on top form that wouldn't have helped either. might have even needed a good bleed too. I know head gasket jobs can be pain, K series one was a right nightmare! the job was ok it was the aftermath that made me get shot.
Keep the viscus fan on and bin off the electrical one, less question marks for problems there.
If things are going tits up, pack up and leave it, then come back again another day, all will go smoother Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #632150 18th Jun 2017 10:44pm
trickster5000

Thanks Procta. I have tested the thermostat in a pan using a jam thermometer and it opened up fine at the right temperature. I have also bled the whole cooling system many times to no avail.

The plan is still to drop this new engine in first because the head is questionable on mine and I would rather just throw a complete new engine in and see if we can get it going and have something reliable. Since it's not too difficult to do on a defender this seems the most sensible option before I go about spending money on my current engine. Matt.

Post #632180 19th Jun 2017 8:01am
Procta

United Kingdom 
sometimes you do have to weigh up the cheaper options, if your current engine has issues as you say and a good decent replacement is cheaper and you are willing to do the work, then you just cut your losses and replace it.
If this unit is spot on that your putting in, Id just keep your old unit as a spare, no point in spending anymore money on that engine, When you could be putting that money into something else for it or money towards your lessons.
but for god sake do that timing belt. Before you put that replacement unit it in, last thing you want is that to do go bang after you have the hard work.
Just hold onto the dream and keep fighting on, cars do try you at the best of times Laughing Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #632381 20th Jun 2017 12:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 19 <123 ... 567 ... 171819>