↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Trackers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AndrewB

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Zermatt Silver
Trackers
New to the forum and not sure of the right thread to post this on. (Is there a security post??), Regarding Trackers - have looked at Tracker, Skytag and Defender Defender. Any thoughts as to which is best and why, or are all too easily blocked and do cheaper versions without annual fees do just as good a job
Post #622036 5th May 2017 9:44pm

England 2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Stornoway Grey
My experience is that there are only certain brands that are accepted by insurance companies.

These need to be fitted by approved fitters, who seem to put them in very similar places (I am sure thieves know where to look) It's not hard to trace power supplies & GPRS signals. Trackers need a dedicated power supply to meet installation specifications for the major insurance brands.

If you don't care about insurance discount then many are effective, there are features such as geofence and shock alerts which can give some comfort.

The advice seems to be to adopt layers of defence against loss and slow down any attack.

Some people go full hog - steering locks, pedal protectors, gear stick lock, ignition protection, after market alarm, several trackers, smart water marking, etching every panel and major component with chemical etch.

Unfortunately all of these things can be overcome and amazingly cars have been stolen with some or all of these in place, you just have to balance up how much effort you are prepared to put in every time you leave your car, against the confidence you have to get properly paid out by your insurance company.
Post #622063 6th May 2017 6:31am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Welcome on board.

There's been lots and lots of discussion about various trackers on the forum and the search function is your friend. Here's a couple to get you started:

Tracker - http://www.defender2.net/forum/search.php?...rch_time=0

Skytag - http://www.defender2.net/forum/search.php?...rch_time=0 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #622064 6th May 2017 6:33am
corgi1

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
had skytag fitted about a month ago, first 3 months free, 120, can check where it is on my phone or home computer, about 12.50 pm Thumbs Up
Post #622077 6th May 2017 7:51am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
The problem with trackers is they don't prevent your car being stolen and the wont guarantee its return (if you even want it)...it might not even alert you in time for anyone to do anything.

So whilst they have their place - they aren't the panacea of security things Mike
Post #622092 6th May 2017 9:32am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Every item helps though. It has been proven there has been recovery. 👍🏻 Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #622098 6th May 2017 9:50am
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
I know someone , (Name changed to protect the innocent) George, who has a tracker , steering lock ,pedal lock and wheel clamp to protect his. Trouble is by the time he has removed them he has forgotten why he was going out in the first place! Rolling with laughter 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #622102 6th May 2017 10:15am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I know what you mean, I often take my Wife's car because I can't be bothered to de-activate, remove and stow the few devices I have. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #622109 6th May 2017 10:58am
mse

custom90steve wrote:
Every item helps though. It has been proven there has been recovery. 👍🏻

Actually what do they help - whilst im not against trackers, we should be realistic on their value...its not a deterrent (because you dont advertise its there) if you do, then they know how to stop/block or disrupt it then you get into organised theft, infact sometimes they will even park your car to check if its got a tracker fitted.

After all that you get into, would you want it back? the defender is a little different, but with range rovers ive had etc, i wouldnt have wanted them back no matter what Mike
Post #622110 6th May 2017 10:58am
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
custom90steve wrote:
Every item helps though. It has been proven there has been recovery. 👍🏻

It also means there is a chance the perpertrators will be caught, which prevents them nicking the next car. But it is important to remember that a Tracker is a covert device so it isn't about preventing theft, but recovering goods and possibly catching theives with stolen property.

anything that uses soley GPS can be jammed. Anything that uses GSM can be jammed. Some use their own VHF network too which is more difficult to jam and the police are equipped with receivers.

However even if you have a GPS/GSM only tracker it means the thief has to carry a jammer, which means should they be stopped in their daily life they can be arrested for going equipped.

As is usual with these security related posts it wont be long before someone comes along and tell you they're a waste of time.
Post #622111 6th May 2017 11:02am
mse

As with most things defender its "you have to have it"

I didnt say its a waste of time all our vehicles (5) have trackers Thumbs Up but they are largely pointless and you need to be clear on what and when something is useful, plus usability. Also the 2 main things to consider is 1) if they want it, your going to loose it and 2) its easier to steal parts from the defender than the whole thing.

Many thieves that do this are professional and we are all amateurs remember, plus you dont need jammers either.

When my mothers motorhome was stolen, they pushed it off the driver, trailered it into a box and away it would seem (as they look at all the highway cameras and motorway cameras which made a ring around the area and couldnt find it - they knew the theft time as they found 2 witnesses), the tracker was useless - when in the box it was gone.

Quote:
It also means there is a chance the perpertrators will be caught, which prevents them nicking the next car.

I do already pay for that service, for the detection and resolution of crime, its call the police percept. Thumbs Up Mike
Post #622120 6th May 2017 11:40am
custom90

United Kingdom 
When you mention they park them up to see if they have a tracker, yes that's correct sometimes.

Thing is, often this is the exact time they are recovered due to it.
Yes, the perpetrator probably isn't caught but still.

If the tracker(s) aren't present then after a while they'd pop back and it's gone.

I think that likelyhood makes it a worthwhile item to fit for cost to use.

The biggest prevention in my opinion is not to leave it parked in vulnerable areas under large public footfall and things like that.
Especially for long periods of time.

It's annoying we have to live with this though all the time, but Defenders aren't the only targeted vehicle. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #622127 6th May 2017 12:30pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I don't even know whether it's best to try to park out of sight, less likely to be noticed, or in a busy place that might deter a noisy theft. I live fairly out of the way, so not many people will know the car is there, but if they did, they are unlikely to be disturbed during a theft. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #622130 6th May 2017 12:49pm
zsd-puma

Quote:
I didnt say its a waste of time

What made you think i was replying to you specifically? We posted at more or less the same time Confused
Quote:

they are largely pointless

And then you said it, anyway. Laughing

Quote:

trailered it into a box and away it would seem (as they look at all the highway cameras and motorway cameras which made a ring around the area and couldnt find it - they knew the theft time as they found 2 witnesses), the tracker was useless

GPS can be blocked by a metal box, VHF not so much.

Quote:

I do already pay for that service, for the detection and resolution of crime, its call the police percept.

No harm in helping the Police though is there. It's like seeing your neighbours car being stolen and just saying "oh well i pay the Police to detect and resolve that sort of thing, it's not my problem"

Quote:

whilst im not against trackers,

Really? You don't have a good word to say about them!

Quote:
would you want it back?

Yes, for the sake of replacing what maybe a window and some locks. Of course it could be completely stripped, but then that's what insurance is for.

Quote:
infact sometimes they will even park your car to check if its got a tracker fitted.

Exactly, they park it up, leave it for a bit and see if anyone comes and gets it. If it has a working tracker, then there is a good chance the Police or yourself can go and retrieve it. If it doesn't have one you've got virtually no chance.
Post #622133 6th May 2017 1:03pm
zsd-puma

custom90steve wrote:

The biggest prevention in my opinion is not to leave it parked in vulnerable areas under large public footfall and things like that.
Especially for long periods of time.

The best place to park it is in an underground bunker, surrounded by mine fields.

But you're right overtly advertising you have it means it's more likely to attract the attention of the thief. On the other hand though if it's parked somewhere secluded it's easier to steal.
It's kind of like having a scruffy farm one full of manure it less appealing to thieves than a pristine well accessorised one, but on the other hand a scruffy one is probably seen as an easier target as it's less likely to have a full battery of security measures fitted.

I don't even lock mine when i leave it in the work car park, but given we have 24/7 security and a permanent armed police presence a thief would really have to want it to attempt it. They could of course just see me leaving work and follow me home to see where i park it... If you have a 9-5ish job (i don't) then it's always likely to be parked in the same place over night.
Post #622135 6th May 2017 1:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1