↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Reversing Camera & LCD Screen - Defender 110 TDI 1997
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DMetcalfe92

United Kingdom 
Reversing Camera & LCD Screen - Defender 110 TDI 1997
Hi everyone,
I recently nearly destroyed my neighbors bumper with my towbar by reversing into it! I got very lucky & her registration plate saved the day, it's only that I have to pay for!

To counteract my reckless reversing, I've bought a cheap reversing camera & screen. The LCD itself has ground, +12v & +12v remote. The remote wire turns the screen on, and selects the rear camera input. I'm fine with wiring all this in, piece of cake.

However I'm a little bit stuck at finding where the wire for my reverse light might be run, or where the switch is located in/around the gearbox. I looked under and can see the brake, indicator & reverse light are all bundled into one, running smoewhere down the middleish of the car to where I cannot see.
I pulled the light apart & found the correct colour wire, green/brown.
I pulled up the rubber around the gearbox but couldn't find any exposed greenbrown wires.

I'm a newbie to landrovers and the wiring, this is my first one and I've only had it a month or so!

Can anyone advise the best place I might find the switch / greenbrown wire? I'll need to run an extension of this into my dash somewhere

Thankyou!
Post #620368 29th Apr 2017 2:41pm
DMetcalfe92

United Kingdom 
It would appear google is my friend, I've come up with this which "should" assist me.
"Firstly remove the middle seat and lift the lid to expose the top of the gear box. You should then see the switch"
https://www.landyzone.co.uk/land-rover/rev...wal.63810/

Posting the pictures from that thread over here incase anyone else needs help with this.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #620388 29th Apr 2017 5:00pm
DMetcalfe92

United Kingdom 
I'm still in need of help! It appears my defender has a different gear box...
Apologies if pictures are slightly duplicated, I wanted to get a few...

Edit: Is it that thing right infront of my eyes on picture two?? (am I really that silly? haha!)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #620398 29th Apr 2017 5:24pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
I wired mine to the reversing light at rear (the camera)

Then the screen to the heated rear window (or front cannot remember now)
Post #620425 29th Apr 2017 8:27pm
Martyn668

United Kingdom 
For mine, I took the positive feed for the camera from the reversing light wire. IIRC this is in the wiring cluster where the brake lights, indicators, etc. are. As soon as the reversing light comes on , the wire goes live. Simples. Plus the wires are near the back of the Land Rover where the camera needs to go. The camera/screen are a low current draw, so I figured the standard wiring could handle it. Like yours, mine is a cheapie Chinese job, but works great.
Post #620493 30th Apr 2017 9:38am
landroverdiver

Scotland 
As I did, I just took a feed from the reversing light to use as the switchwire to bring the camera on. Then for the screen, just picked up a feed behind the dash. I have two camera inputs so required a seperate live
Post #620694 1st May 2017 8:07am
DMetcalfe92

United Kingdom 
Thanks guys,
This is what I wanted to avoid, I wanted to use the remote wire on the LCD screen as it will power on automatically when I stick it into reverse.

I'll just have to run the live wire from the reverse light back to the front of the car!
Post #621081 2nd May 2017 6:27pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Two weeks ago I was adding two 18W LED spot lights to Def 90 TD5 - for use as work or reverse lights. To get reverse voltage you can connect directly on the main gearbox, into the cables in the engine compartment or at the original reverse light. I'm using the last one - wire from reversing light back to front of the car. It was easier. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "BlufĂ­nek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #621218 3rd May 2017 8:08am
Miggit

United Kingdom 
I've done several reversing camera installs on cars and I try to use the reverse lamp to power up the camera and then, if your lucky enough to get the video lead with extra power tap (4" red wire), use that to power the screen, or switch it.

One of these.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10M-30FT-CAR-Bac...SwdjNZBx6p RRC 2.4 TD... it's either a stretched 90 or shrunken 110!!
ML 270CDI
Post #621250 3rd May 2017 10:28am
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
DMetcalfe92 wrote:
Thanks guys,
This is what I wanted to avoid, I wanted to use the remote wire on the LCD screen as it will power on automatically when I stick it into reverse.

I'll just have to run the live wire from the reverse light back to the front of the car!

Put the earth wire for the screen to the live side of the swtich, when the switch is engaged it'll earth the screen and power it up.
Post #621293 3rd May 2017 12:59pm
DMetcalfe92

United Kingdom 
DMetcalfe92 wrote:

Edit: Is it that thing right infront of my eyes on picture two?? (am I really that silly? haha!)

It would appear I failed to post a follow up / result!
That ting in picture two was indeed my reverse light switch! I stole a 12v feed from there for the remote wire.
Post #628532 2nd Jun 2017 6:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1