↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Smallest LT230 handbrake drum
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
taazzukcb

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Cross member is long gone, TB is right back, wish I could find a pic to better explain.

Best I could find atm:

Click image to enlarge

It's hitting the down tabs just in front that you cant see I think. That for the foot well box itself.
Post #621007 2nd May 2017 12:52pm
Miggit

United Kingdom 
taazzukcb wrote:

I have considered the shorter output housings, both Syncros and Rakeway. But trying to avoid the cost. Would mean yet another custom rear prop too!

Rakeway is 70mm shorter I beleive, Syncros is 65mm.

Both however do away with the speedo drive, which I have now modified to supply my dials.

What about short shaft, disc brake and a spacer to make up the difference to the prop... there's no need to get another prop made as it needs to be longer! Also GPS speedo? RRC 2.4 TD... it's either a stretched 90 or shrunken 110!!
ML 270CDI
Post #621023 2nd May 2017 2:24pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
I see now, I was thinking you meant it was catching the chassis rails !

On mine the X-Eng disk transmission brake fixed that problem, my transfer box is about 6 inches further back than normal and I had fitted a centre winch cradle below the floor so when I moved the xfer box back I couldn't fit the original drum in.

The calliper is a bit tight to get in on mine but it's substantially shorter than the original assembly. I know in some versions the backing plate has a different orientation for the calliper due to a lack of space. You could also modify the plate or create a new one to suit. I can't think of any reason why the calliper couldn't be mounted at the side rather than the top and there looks to be enough clearance for the disk below the cross member if I'm interpreting the photo correctly !

I can take some measurements of mine later if you can't get access to one locally to have a look at. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #621050 2nd May 2017 4:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12