↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Engine help from the Highlands of Papua New Guinea
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Cobra_Phil

Engine help from the Highlands of Papua New Guinea
I own a 2012 Defender 110 w/2.2L TDCI engine. It is located in the Highlands of Papua New Guinea where I have no access to parts, specialty tools, or mechanical help. Currently I am in the States until next week when I fly back to PNG. I am asking for help to diagnose an engine problem and help determine what parts and tools I need to take back with me. All I will have available is my basic set of tools, and what I take with me now. If I need to order anything and ship it to PNG, it will take anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months depending on several factors before it arrives. I do have some mechanical skills and have rebuilt engines in the past, but never a diesel or engine with a turbo. Hopefully I can get some help from this forum so I can get the LR running again.
Scenario: I was driving up a fairly steep grade and the engine bogged down a lot. I noticed the temp gauge shot up quickly, and then quit working all together. From that point one, I could tell the engine was not running the same and the power was low. Once I got back home, oil level was over 2 quarts low and I found oil in the coolant. I was able to have someone look at it and they changed the oil cooler which seems to have fixed the oil in the coolant problem. But for reasons which I will no go into now, all repairs from this point forward are going to have to be done by me. No test equipment what-so-ever.

The remaining issues are:
No boost at any acceleration level
Over heats after several minutes of running
Cooling system is getting pressurized

It starts and runs fine until it starts to overheat. My first guess is blown head gasket. But I have read that this is a rare occurrence with this engine. I have also read that the EGR bypass (or something along those lines) could be the issue. What I am asking from the forum is help in determining what steps to take in troubleshooting this problem, and what parts and tools I should take with me to fix it. Whatever I don't take with me now will cost me weeks and possibly months of waiting once I get back to PNG. I already have a straight edge on order to check for warped head. I was going to order a head gasket, but do not know how many holes it should be. Thanks in advance for your input.
Post #619552 25th Apr 2017 11:53pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Can you give us more info on the EGR bypass? Was it done via a remap and/or physically? Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #619557 26th Apr 2017 1:11am
Cobra_Phil

My LR does not currently have the bypass, it is stock. I was just stating that I thought I've read that the EGR bypass could resolve the overheating issue. Sorry, didn't word it very well.
Post #619561 26th Apr 2017 2:03am
Beery

Australia 2015 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Corris Grey
The cooling system will now be coated with oil on all surfaces unless it has been properly cleaned.
This could cause the overheating you are experiencing.

Does the engine provide normal power/operation before it overheats?
Post #619564 26th Apr 2017 4:55am
Cobra_Phil

I was told it was flushed several times and from my checks, the coolant looked clean.
It is definitely under-powered. That along with the lack of boost and pressurized coolant system points to additional problems.
Post #619565 26th Apr 2017 5:10am
R1200GS

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
Oil in coolant normally points to cylinder head gasket failure...?
Post #619603 26th Apr 2017 10:19am
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Sounds like a core issue that's caused the overheat but now cyl head warped or gasket gone. Pressurising coolant is defo bigger issue now. Sounds remote with no tools. Can anyone else help you? 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #619649 26th Apr 2017 2:32pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
were their any symptoms prior to failure? or anything not right?

remapped?

what load was it under at failure? how long running how heavily loaded, how many miles? frequent oil changes?

water pump working?

when it gets hot it will cut power and feel booged down. does it run with power until it get too hot? or no power from immediate cold start?

turbo is free to spin? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #619656 26th Apr 2017 3:26pm
o4dn

France 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
That's a 2.2 from 2012, could it be an oil pump failure if it didn't have the recall done? “A Land Rover immobilized is a moral defeat for the driver and bad publicity for the vehicle, […] it's up to you to do justice to your Land Rover!” - Land Rover Driving Technique.
--
2009 2.4 Puma Defender 90 SW
1979 Land Rover Series 3 88"
Post #619660 26th Apr 2017 3:51pm
Cobra_Phil

I am very remote. I do have help, but no one with more mechanical skills than me.

No symptoms prior to overheat. 2nd gear, climbing off-road incline, very heavy bog for several seconds - pedal to the floor, less than 13k miles on odometer, not sure about frequency of oil changes, I've had the vehicle less than 6 months. No problem with water pump. From startup it is low on power. Turbo spins freely, but definitely no boost. It has stock ECU.

Because of where it is located, I'm sure it did not have the oil pump recall performed on it.

Thanks.
Post #619676 26th Apr 2017 4:49pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
ok, cheers, is it using coolant or oil at all now or hard to tell? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #619710 26th Apr 2017 7:40pm
Cobra_Phil

I am not driving it at all now, so hard to tell.
Post #619715 26th Apr 2017 7:55pm
xcentric

others are probably much more expert than me, but if the coolant is getting pressurised then it would suggest that you have some influx of stuff into there, hence head gasket failure and oil leak plus engine pressure causing issues.

Lack of power could be related to leak in turbo/connecting pipes, but that is not likely to result in the other symptoms you mention, unless the engine is overheating cos it's working too hard without turbo assistance.

I think you need to take as many spares in terms of hoses, gaskets, water pumps, oil filters etc as your baggage will let you have, ideally on a sale or return basis, and focus on trying to identify the problem this trip and fix it next. A good phone/satphone with mobile internet might be your best bet to connect you with experts here when you're there!

I'd also try to hook up with people in Australia before you go who can ship parts to you as you might need them - faster than from the USA.....
Post #619765 26th Apr 2017 9:54pm
Cobra_Phil

Thanks for the input.
I am thinking of purchasing this kit off Ebay to get it started shipping towards PNG.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Landrover-Defend...P#shpCntId

It should provide most of the bits and pieces I might need in case it is a head gasket, oil pump, cracked piston, broken piston ring, etc. I know it might not be the right head gasket but my main goal it to get it running. I have a straight edge on the way so I can check for a warped head. Other tools I have thought of include ODBII Scanner/Reset tool, engine compression gauge, and hydrocarbon test kit (if I can get it on the plane).

For anything major like warped head, split inter-cooler/hoses, turbo issue, etc., I will just have to order the parts and wait.
I won't be coming back to the States for 1-2 years. I do have limited internet access (dial-up speeds) which will allow me to stay in contact with this forum and others that can help.

Still looking for ideas that will help troubleshot/resolve this problem. Thanks.
Post #619832 27th Apr 2017 1:51am
dgardel

Italy 
do you have the Workshop manuals?

MY2007-2011: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AnHBx4Wc2MJLhG6rtxe8woH3N2w8

MY2012-2016: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AnHBx4Wc2MJLh311C6cNIArhJ6ag

How to: Defender 2.2 TDCi Service Intervall Reset

1. Ignition ON pressed both brake and accelerator pedal down for 15 seconds
2. Oil light started to flash.
3. Turned the ignition OFF and left it for around 2 mins.

Oil service indicator cleared. 

Several "tons" of documents here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AnHBx4Wc2MJLgcZkI7QQv8JNpcaljA
(wiring diagrams, electric library, and much more) Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #620311 29th Apr 2017 8:00am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>