↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Alan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 19 <123 45 ... 171819>
Print this entire topic · 
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Thanks Oakseywick..
Today I finally cured a vibration/whumping noise I had at 45mph ish and a shudder when I changed from third gear by swapping the front prop.. Alan is much smoother now and the hours I spent cutting the rounded nut and bolt off the prop were worth it Cool
Post #617926 19th Apr 2017 2:39pm
L110CDL

England 
Great news Thumbs Up Good you found the problem and now its sorted Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #617986 19th Apr 2017 7:52pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Profyaffle wrote:
Thanks Oakseywick..
Today I finally cured a vibration/whumping noise I had at 45mph ish and a shudder when I changed from third gear by swapping the front prop.. Alan is much smoother now and the hours I spent cutting the rounded nut and bolt off the prop were worth it Cool

since me and my dad repaired mine, things have been miles better too, One of the UJs had bit the dust, just make sure you Greece the other one up too, plus the UJs. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #618190 20th Apr 2017 6:15pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Cheers.. will do.. it came greased but I shall have a go at putting some more in.. I bought a car creeper yesterday to make it easier to slide underneath and save my head from getting a flat spot on the back from the concrete so I shall give that its maiden voyage later.. some of us don't have the luxury of our own car lift Wink
At the moment the bumper is off and in the kitchen, it's had a rub down and a couple of coats of primer.. hopefully get it painted, Dinitrolled inside and back on today.
Post #618297 21st Apr 2017 6:27am
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Got the bumper back on and fixed with new stainless bolts and washers to replace the ugly turning rusty things that were on.. I decided on black again for the time being.....

Click image to enlarge
Post #618385 21st Apr 2017 12:25pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
That looks spot on!
Post #618402 21st Apr 2017 1:47pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
That looks really good that! I need a new front bumper sadly, mine has seen better days. Just got to sort out a few other things 1st like the MOT, insurance. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #618468 21st Apr 2017 5:27pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Thanks...
Be careful what you buy bumper wise.. I think my bumper was a new one when the landy was rebuilt but when I took it off it was starting to rust inside... I've given it a good rub down and a coat of Dinitrol on the inside.
Post #619011 23rd Apr 2017 11:06pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Today I am braving the cold and fitting some freshly painted headlight surrounds and some Wipac crystals I bought a while ago . I installed the Landreiziger loom and new light switch a while ago..
Just done the nearside...

this is the the painted one compared to the faded one I took off:

Just need to do the other one then check my Headlight alignment... 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #619380 25th Apr 2017 10:17am
Procta

United Kingdom 
well neat that is! I was going to buy the loom too, but insurances and mots have come around very quickly Shocked I am not to sure what to expect with the landy, I think it may have had a dodgy MOT, A few things that were failures were not corrected. One is the seatbelt that is on order, that was picked up on the MOT, only thing that was corrected as the suspensiont, even then we had to renew that too. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #619405 25th Apr 2017 1:13pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
I'm sure with all the time spent and work you've done on your 90 you won't have any trouble with the MOT.. You got me thinking about one of my seatbelt though as it is looking a bit tatty...
I've just taken this off:

I've replaced it with a through pipe, kept the back box though. Im going to go for a test drive shortly... 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #619423 25th Apr 2017 2:33pm
JAY BOY

Wales 
You're doing a grand job on that Defender, I wish i had some spare time to work on mine. Thumbs Up
Post #619503 25th Apr 2017 7:19pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Profyaffle wrote:
I'm sure with all the time spent and work you've done on your 90 you won't have any trouble with the MOT.. You got me thinking about one of my seatbelt though as it is looking a bit tatty...
I've just taken this off:

I've replaced it with a through pipe, kept the back box though. Im going to go for a test drive shortly...

If its looking rather tatty then id replace it before it goes in for its mot, they may pick up on that, but I am surprised to hear that yours has a tatty seat belt, with it been rebuilt.
I found that doing a way with the cats on diesels really do choke them, I have heard that doing away with silencers and back boxes on dervs opens them up, but they are noisy. Some used to do away with the back box and leave the silencer in place.
My 306 is like the setup you have just done now, no silencer ( I think) straight from the turbo to the back box, The car sounds quite throaty and there is a little bit of increase too power wise. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #619558 26th Apr 2017 12:23am
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
I think a lot of things interior wise were just transferred over in the rebuild, not everything is new and it's the centre seat lap belt that needs changing.. so it should only be a quick job and they are cheap which is a bonus! I've replaced a lot of interior stuff myself, reupholstered the seats, lined out the back, replaced the flooring, added rear headlining etc.. Just to get it how I wanted it..

I have been for a short test drive... I can't say if it is noisier than before but it does sound different but not in a bad way, as for performance... I wasn't expecting any as it is a 200tdi Wink The weight reduction might help as it is lighter......

@Jay Boy, thank you... I'm lucky I work shifts so get quite a few days off at a time and if I'm off weekdays I get to do some stuff on it. 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #619570 26th Apr 2017 6:09am
Procta

United Kingdom 
My dads is a 200 TDI and its quite pokey mind, I think it might be a little bit more pokey than my 300 TDI, Also what I found to make Diesels more lively is decent diesel. Supermarket stuff we found just doesn't last at all, and made performance a little weak. We had both 306 phase1 and a phase 1 406, both had mechanical pumps at the time.
My dad started to save 40 quid a month by switching from supermarket diesel to the shell/BP. My 306 at the time used to smoke really bad at start up, again since I switched too, that all stopped. I know a people say supermarket stuff is the same, but I think they do water it down a little and I don't think their stations are serviced at all. The store I used to work for certainly didn't service theirs! Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #619642 26th Apr 2017 1:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 19 <123 45 ... 171819>