↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Bearing issue?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kweese

Canada 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Belize Green
Bearing issue?
Yesterday I was driving and I started noticing a little bit of a high pitched squeal.. It was coming and going. Later in the day, I noticed as I increased speed the vehicle was a bit shakey. I suspect it is the right front bearing. How would I know that this is the problem; and which parts should I buy? I live in Canada, so it's not that economical to ship here twice. I would prefer to do the job properly with all parts.
Post #618969 23rd Apr 2017 8:29pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Lift wheel off ground slightest amount. Give it all a good shake, use pry bar/pipe to assist if you're feeling sporty.

You'll soon get a better idea if what is going on... Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #618987 23rd Apr 2017 9:18pm
Miggit

United Kingdom 
^ as said lift the wheel and give it a good shake, top in bottom out and visa versa, if there is any movement then it is most likely the wheel bearing, to check this get someone to apply the foot brake and have another go if it's gone it's the wheel bearing needs adjusting if it's still there then it's the swivel pins at fault.

Wheel bearing is very easy to adjust, a 50mm box spanner / wrench is a very useful tool, and some new locking tab washers are a good idea also... very cheap, I've just brought 10 for less than £5!! RRC 2.4 TD... it's either a stretched 90 or shrunken 110!!
ML 270CDI
Post #619235 24th Apr 2017 7:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1