↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Portable bbq & fire pit?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Riverboy wrote:
I would have thought the Minimax Big Green Egg would be a good one to take out in the Landy.

A Big Green Egg with handles. A surprisingly useful size and the design allows it to be lit quickly and snuffed out reasonably quickly (well a lot quicker than a standard barbecue)

I will add that I have no connection with Big Green Egg other than owning one, but if the importers are reading this, I will say more really nice things if I get a free Minimax Mr. Green Worth a try I suppose. I'd love one for camping.
Post #616140 11th Apr 2017 7:56pm
Wilkeshake

United Kingdom 
Had the charcoal one of these for a couple of years and been really pleased with it:

https://www.riversidegardencentre.co.uk/we...where.html
Post #616144 11th Apr 2017 8:10pm
Martin 01

I have used one of the Bushpig's for past few years.
Great bit of kit, well made.
I barbie or cook on it first then chuck some wood on afterwards for a nice open fire.
http://www.bush-pig.co.uk/
Post #616784 14th Apr 2017 2:22pm
Mac22

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Santorini Black
OzPig will do everything and more......
Post #617994 19th Apr 2017 8:04pm
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Rashers wrote:
Riverboy wrote:
I would have thought the Minimax Big Green Egg would be a good one to take out in the Landy.

A Big Green Egg with handles. A surprisingly useful size and the design allows it to be lit quickly and snuffed out reasonably quickly (well a lot quicker than a standard barbecue)

I will add that I have no connection with Big Green Egg other than owning one, but if the importers are reading this, I will say more really nice things if I get a free Minimax Mr. Green Worth a try I suppose. I'd love one for camping.

Rashers, what size is your egg? I'm looking at getting one this summer but cant decide on the size. Also do you bake bread on it? I bake all my own bread and I hear that the BGE is great for that.
Post #618046 20th Apr 2017 12:41am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I have a boab braai from a forum sponsor, and once I'd had at re-welded (from new) it's been fine, funny thing 3 others have also had to have them re-welded, looks like a design flaw. It's where the leg holders are attached to the main box.
Cost about £100
Post #618068 20th Apr 2017 7:13am
dantastic

United Kingdom 
I ended up making my own from an old gas bottle. I was able to ensure good air supply to the bottom of the fire - something the braais mentioned doesn't seem to have. It may not be as slick as the commercial options but it didn't cost me a thing. Ok, that's a lie - I have bought a stainless grate and some stove paint - but all the other bits I had already.
Post #618093 20th Apr 2017 9:43am
leeds

United Kingdom 
4x4overlander are the site sponsors who sell Boab Braais

An 'interesting' comment about the 'design flaw'

I have had no reports about the leg holders becoming detached from the Boab Braai.

I asked Boab today if they have had any issues with the leg holders becoming detached and no they have not.

So Boab nor 4x4overlander have heard anything about this so called design flaw.

A bit odd to bring it to our attention several years after purchase.

We actually use the braais ourselves and so do several of our friends and none of them have reported any design flaws to us.

If there is anything wrong with any item purchased from 4x4overlander from new please let us know. Our standard response is a refund of purchase price on goods being returned or another resolution being replacement or repair etc under the Consumer Rights Act.

4x4overlander has developed good working relations with our main suppliers and if there is any issues with items supplied by us we will take it up with our suppliers.

Brendan
Post #618189 20th Apr 2017 6:06pm
acuss01

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
I have a BOAB Braai bought from site sponsor - who I recommend. But beware its shockingly heavy...! I have the smaller one and bought carry bag from BOAB direct. Will see us through any armageddon, but if i'd known the weight beforehand I might have looked more at alternatives... 2015 110 XS CSW Montalcino Red with Black Pack
Post #618565 21st Apr 2017 10:42pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
I think someone has stumbled on how to balance the different properties of an item.

Yes the Boab Braai is no lightweight at about 10 kg. Yes the Braai could be made lighter by using thinner metal. This however would make it prone to distortion from heat etc, whereas the Boab Braai does appear to cope well with the heat and not burn through/distort.

So for a BBQ which is compact can be used a lot of times without issue the Boab Braai is pretty good. However I would not recommend it if you are going on a walking holiday and were carrying it everyday. For a vehicle based bbq Thumbs Up

We have had to repaint ours a couple of times over the years.

Brendan
Post #618579 22nd Apr 2017 6:22am

England 2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Stornoway Grey
I have had the Boab braai since he first made them and it has been faultless.

My experience with various fire pits is that thin / light metal doesn't last very long and I have had the Boab stacked full of wood and red hot with no issues.

I've seen on eBay a couple of folding design, laser cut stainless steel fire pit / BBQ's they seem to just slot together.

I would be interested to know if anyone has used one?
Post #618580 22nd Apr 2017 6:49am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
/\ as Brendan has already said it one of those strength and durability vs light weight. you pay your money and takes your choice.

I knew the Braai wasn't going to be light but to be honest it was still a surprise at how heavy it was. That said as mentioned above the plan was always to use it in close proximity to the truck so no big deal.

Another very happy customer both with Brendan's service and the product supplied and would highly recommend both. Thumbs Up

ps. even if Brendan doesn't share all (or any) of my political views Rolling with laughter
Post #618603 22nd Apr 2017 8:41am
acuss01

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Hi Brendan, what do you use to repaint yours? Haven't needed to yet.

Regards the weight issue, yep its an understatement saying its not for backpacking. Shocked Its definitely a truck based item that you haul to somewhere nearby. What I like about it is the flexibility to hang a Dutch oven pot over the fire and/or cook on the grill. Cool

I don't regret buying it, but where its not suitable I have a £35 folding fire grill I got from a Bushcraft shop. Thumbs Up 2015 110 XS CSW Montalcino Red with Black Pack
Post #618624 22nd Apr 2017 11:20am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Hi I just used a stiff wire brush and also a rotary wire brush.

Then used heat resistant paint typically used on fire places, applied with a brush. Did not go for a high quality finish as it is a fire box afterall.

Brendan
Post #619182 24th Apr 2017 5:10pm
LittleFoot

United Kingdom 
Got to say the Bushpig is one of my best ever purchases. Absolutely bulletproof
Post #623241 10th May 2017 8:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>