↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Lower swivel pin leaking from gasket.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ozy013

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Rimini Red
Lower swivel pin leaking from gasket.
Just a quick question in regards to one shot grease that I have leaking from the lower swivel pin.

I noticed after coming back from our Easter 4wd trip to the High Country, that the passenger side swivel is leaking from the lower swivel pin, looks like the gasket isn't sealing properly.

Would it be possible to undo the two bolts for the lower pin, (after I've removed the brake disc mud shield), and lower the pin just enough to apply sealant to the mating surfaces. Without completely removing it from the lower bearing?
I don't want to completey strip the swivel if I can help it, so was thinking this might work.

If the top pin is still bolted up, then as long as I don't completely withdraw the lower pin from the ball and the bearing, then I should be able to apply some sealant and then torque it all back up. I know I'll lose some grease, but as long as the lower pin is not completely withdrawn then it should stop most of the grease escaping. I'm just worried about the lower bearing moving out of it's race as I withdraw the pin.

So would this work? Or should I just go ahead and strip everything to replace a $1.50 gasket? I'm probably over thinking it as usual, but would welcome any tips or advice either way.
Post #617201 16th Apr 2017 11:40am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Have a spare one shot and some time on hand then try?

I would have thought the escaping oil would make the sealant applicaton a bit troublesome, all the while it's leaking and leaking.. Then is it going to cure properly etc. Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #617275 16th Apr 2017 7:42pm
ozy013

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Rimini Red
Mmmm, yes the leaking grease was one of my issues, especially getting the sealant to cure properly. I have plenty of spare one shot, so thats not an issue.

Here in Victoria at the moment the weather is cold, and the one shot in the tubes is pretty thick. Usually when using it before, I've heated it up in a container of hot water, just to get it to flow better out of the tube. So it would be interesting to see how much tried to escape when I lower the pin.

I'll have a go this weekend, nothing ventured nothing gained.
Post #617324 16th Apr 2017 10:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1