↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Towing electrical gremlins, related to Wipac LED lights?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
Towing electrical gremlins, related to Wipac LED lights?
Hopefully this is something one of you have seen before.

I successfully last used my towing electrics about 18 months ago, on a 2005 td5 90. Since then I have replaced all the lights front and back with WIPAC led units, and their replacement flasher relay with the adjustable knob.

I attempted to use a bike rack last weekend, and after connecting everything seemed good, the indicicators worked and the red slights worked, so off I set. However, once on the move, when I brake, both idicators come on ad well as the cars sidelights (inc. the front). Upon further inspection, if I have both the side lights and indicators on, the bike rack light bar is going nuts, flashing the red lights instead of the yellow.

Having travelled up to my parents house and tried one of their lighting bars, it does the same, so the car is at fault. So I have just spent the afternoon putting a brand new rear socket on (Ring's finest from Halfords), the old one being pretty corroded, and yet it does exactly the same.

Given that the only two differences between when it worked and now are:

(1) Another 18 months of corrosion have gone by
(2) I have fitted LED lights all round

Has any one else successfully fitted the Wipac lights and carried on towing without issue?

If not, any other suggestions? I have been testing the resistance between the pins, and have been surprised to find its around 20 ohms between some pins (did not make a note of which ones sorry).

Cheers!
Post #617042 15th Apr 2017 6:22pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
I had a similiar problem and I seem to remember on the Relay supplied withe Leds there was a knob you could wind back so the trailer board lights worked correctly. 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #617043 15th Apr 2017 6:27pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
I have the wipac LEDs and have used both trailers with normal and LED lighting since with no issues!

Sounds like it might be a grounding​ issue somewhere or adjustment needed on the flasher relay
Post #617048 15th Apr 2017 6:56pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Remove, check clean refit earth strap on the transfer box.

I've had the same issue. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #617051 15th Apr 2017 7:01pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
As above it's the classic symptom of a bad earth or a corroded trailer socket/plug. It might be the plug on the bike rack rather than the socket on the car, is ther any water inside the light board? It's not going to be anything to do with your LED's

Do the car lights do it without the bike rack plugged in or is it just the lights on the bike rack?

It's worth converting to a 13 pin socket, the pins in them are stainless for a start and also rated to a higher load. If you get the genuine Land Rover one it's totally water proof too.
Post #617054 15th Apr 2017 7:07pm
Hufflepuff

Thanks for all the great suggestions gentlemen.

I did suspect an earthing problem, butbthought it would be the earth cables under the drivers seat next to the ecu, which looked clean. I will check the transfer box earth tomorrow, thanks for the tip Steve. It might also resolve the oddity in the speedo which jumps to a number sometimes when I put the ignition on, until the engine starts which is really weird.

I don't think its a problem with the plug or the bike rack zsd-puma, as its a brand new plug as of today, and I have used two independent light boards with the same result.
Post #617094 15th Apr 2017 9:45pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
It could be the grey plastic plug for the tow socket wiring under the o/s rear wheel arch at the back Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #617109 15th Apr 2017 10:37pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Quote:
I don't think its a problem with the plug or the bike rack zsd-puma, as its a brand new plug as of today, and I have used two independent light boards with the same result.

i would agree.
Post #617158 16th Apr 2017 7:38am
Hufflepuff

Well, I removed, cleaned and refitted the earth from battery to transfer box strap. It wasn't too badly corroded, but there was some surface rust present.

Once refitted I tried the number plate lights again, and had the same problem, for about 10 seconds, then all fixed and it behaved itself from that point onwards. So not really sure how much I trust it now, if it really was the earth why did it continue to misbehave to the first 10 seconds? Maybe I will look at replacing the rear cable from the wheel arch connector back to the socket.
Post #617228 16th Apr 2017 1:06pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
You can always add another earth.
I did straight from the back of the tow socket into the area around the rear speaker panel.
Just follow original cabling.
There are suitable fixings to take an earth from around that area ish.
So should the Tranferbox earth throw a wobbly there is a back up, which could avoid you pain out and about.
My guess is you won't have any further issue at all now, I didn't.

It may not to be in bad condition but just a little loose is enough as these things are very sensitive.
Probably best once refitted to spray Dinitrol over it also, that'll keep it protected and most moisture out. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #617241 16th Apr 2017 3:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1