↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Power Steering has gone missing?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
Can you disconnect the power steering? How heavy is the steering if you do that?
Post #616734 14th Apr 2017 8:41am
Yannis

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
With 285 width tyres it's VERY heavy Shocked
Post #616977 15th Apr 2017 11:51am
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Depends what you mean by disconnect, if you mean just take the pump off and drive it, then it's very very heavy, both arms and upper body needed to dry steer it! Because you're shifting the fluid about in the steering box. It's not too bad once you're moving though.

If you mean take the steering box off and convert it back to manual, then it's not too bad as the manual steering boxes are sort of lower geared. You soon learn to get the thing creeping forwards or backwards as you steer to make is quite easy. I'm not sure if that conversion easily possible mind you, there might be issues mounting the earlier steering box to the chassis.
Post #616987 15th Apr 2017 12:55pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
I meant if you have a power steering failure a long way from home, could you get under the car and do some spannering to get yourself home. I figures you'd be steering against the (failed) pump so disconnect the pump and get some steering back. It's what I like about the Defender, in the event of a failure of something, pull some fuses for whatever has failed and you can still drive (such as the anti-locking brakes, for example (I assume as everything seems to be an add on rather than being integral to the workings of the car in modern wiring looms).
Post #616998 15th Apr 2017 2:10pm
Yannis

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
There is no problem to drive when it's failed as there is still a mechanical link. But a system that's designed to be power assisted is very heavy when there is no assistance. As soon as your moving its fine, it's just going slowly that's a problem.

My vehicle is going in at the beginning of May for a few warranty bits so I will get them to pressure test the power steering system. But after the initial failure and miraculous fix, I'm thinking it was just air in the system or the pressure regulator stuck open.
Post #617012 15th Apr 2017 3:58pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
AndyS wrote:
I meant if you have a power steering failure a long way from home, could you get under the car and do some spannering to get yourself home. I figures you'd be steering against the (failed) pump so disconnect the pump and get some steering back. It's what I like about the Defender, in the event of a failure of something, pull some fuses for whatever has failed and you can still drive (such as the anti-locking brakes, for example (I assume as everything seems to be an add on rather than being integral to the workings of the car in modern wiring looms).

Yeah you can still drive it, you wouldn't need to disconnect anything, it's just a bitch to park. Power steering doesnt really do much at speed, in fact on most modern cars it's speed sensitive and basically switches off on the motorway.

It's not exclusive to Defenders though it's the same on any car, with a power steering failure (or ABS failure), you don't need to do anything. The steering will still work and the brakes will still work, you just wont have the benefit PAS or ABS. They're all designed that you can still drive them when a system fails. The only exception i can think of is the fully hydraulic steering on some tractors and plant machinery, if that fails then you have no steering.
Post #617052 15th Apr 2017 7:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12