↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > The new Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 12 <123 ... 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
zsd-puma wrote:
Possibly RHD models built in the UK and everything else built in Slovakia? It depends on what market they're actually going for, if it's going to be a utilitarian working vehicle, then it makes sense to build it where ever is cheapest.

The old Defender was basically a low volume car, something like 20'000 vehicles a year so no Solihul probably doesn't have the capacity to build large volumes of them.

"20,000 "?....I don't think so!! I think the last few years of Defender were under 15,000, apart from the last year when there was a bit of a last minute panic to get a "last one",....even then, it was nowhere near 20,000.
I've heard it said that JLR will be looking for 100,000 sales p.a. from the new Defender, which is about all I've heard from them (JLR).
Pickles.
Post #616434 12th Apr 2017 10:04pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
TechnoTurkey wrote:
Just look at how secret the Velar was before it launched, JLR seem good at keeping things under wraps at the moment!

The Velar is so similar to every other current LR product that it is unlikely that anyone would have noticed if it was being driven all over the place undisguised prior to launch.

It worries me that the same may be true of the Defender replacement even as we speak.
Post #616439 12th Apr 2017 10:13pm
isacs

United Kingdom 
It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't make a new defender after all. Doesn't fit inline with the new premium brand they now are. In the time they announced defender production was to end, they have created at least 4 new cars and now facelifting the existing and going with hybrid powerplants. Yet no defender and no dates. All a bit suspicious for me
Post #616608 13th Apr 2017 5:49pm
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
I hope they dont to be honest. It wont be a Defender so why bother. Anyway it'll make ours more desirable (Worth more) if they dont bring out a new one. Thumbs Up
Post #616612 13th Apr 2017 6:09pm
proloForêt

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Strange to me that they always is to say that they stop the creation of the Defender because of EU rules. This is really false to say because only the emissions limits count and they can change the engine to new version. If the Defender was still here now new you could buy one in France no issue with the rules but pay €8000 first registration tax because of emission level.
In future when airbags are compulsory, it is cheap and easy to place in any vehicle.
Post #616616 13th Apr 2017 6:32pm
Spectre

United Kingdom 
A bit more than EU rules.

The are owned by a large conglomerate, profitability is key here.
Post #616654 13th Apr 2017 8:18pm
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Does anyone here actually think the old Defender is flawless? I love mine despite its flaws, not because of them. There is plenty of room for improvement in passenger and pedestrian safety, economy, comfort, reliability..... yes, it will have to change but I'm going to give them benefit of the doubt that they can keep it closer aligned to the Defender than the premium range and will be the first to shout them down if they screw it up.

But all this aside, they'll be doing whatever makes them money because although many here seems to never have had to run a business and actually make a profit, Land Rover is not some social enterprise and the nasty money grabbers are not just out there to desecrate the legend that is the Defender and it's ancestors.

Fine, if you don't like the "new Defender" when it's released (and several people, including me have been told on Solihull tours that it will be released to press this time next year, will be available in three wheelbases in hardtop, SW and pickup, looks true to old design but wider and exceptionally capable off road) have a good moan about it then but how about we just stop with the hand wringing and "oh it's going to be awful" etc etc etc. It's getting REALLY boring.

//rant over https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #616664 13th Apr 2017 8:46pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Farmerben,..Agree!
Pickles.
Post #616668 13th Apr 2017 8:57pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
proloForêt wrote:
In future when airbags are compulsory, it is cheap and easy to place in any vehicle.

Not in a Defender, unfortunately. That's the main reason they had to be withdrawn from sale in the States - it's just not practical to fit airbags without a major redesign of the bulkhead. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #616670 13th Apr 2017 9:02pm
cobra_mark

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Barolo Black
I was talking to a person at JLR about the Defender during the course of some work I was doing with them and the view is the Defender market is not where JLR sees itself, certainly there is no profit in making a Defender.
Post #616701 14th Apr 2017 6:43am
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Agree with Farmer Ben Thumbs Up JLR aren't a charity which has to pander to the traditionalist Defender owner, they have to make profits. Of course we all love our Defenders warts and all and I'm sure that there will always be a supply of good used vehicles for those who want them. For me I will wait to see what the new Defender is like before I make judgement. I like the boxy shape hence I also had a D3 along with a Defender for many years. The D3 was the most capable vehicle I have ever owned so if the new Defender is somewhere between the old version and the D3 I may well be tempted Smile
Post #616748 14th Apr 2017 9:27am
neddy

United Kingdom 
Has anyone registered the name NEWFENDER? Rolling Eyes Proud owner of 1962 IIA since 1971, Talyllyn Railway enthusiast.
Post #616791 14th Apr 2017 2:57pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Just when you thought it had all been said another thread pops up with the same old ingredients; a table spoonful of wishful thinking, a pinch of hearsay, a couple of litres of regret and two full sized ground-hogs Twisted Evil

What will be will be.

Whistle Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #616866 14th Apr 2017 8:20pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
cobra_mark wrote:
I was talking to a person at JLR about the Defender during the course of some work I was doing with them and the view is the Defender market is not where JLR sees itself, certainly there is no profit in making a Defender.

The "CURRENT" Defender Wink

Why build a labour intensive vehicle, for not a massive profit, when they can churn out a £20k profit on a Range Rover/Sport/Discovery every 90 seconds?

The new one will be mass produced, on a production line, as the rest of the range Thumbs Up
Post #616931 15th Apr 2017 8:46am
isacs

United Kingdom 
Spoke to a couple of JLR guys over the past week, 1 is a designer the other is a test mechanic. The new defender will be disco3/4 size and fairly similar in style just smoother edges, more likely petrol hybrid as diesel is a dirty product in the industry now and JLR has its sights on electric vehicles. There are no test mules going round in any guise, though a full working camouflaged car will be driving round this time next year. It's going to be aimed at the Chelsea Knightsbridge lot. So the purists can expect a bit of a shock. Though I'm told there will be base models without the carpet etc. Oh and there's no pickup platform as yet
Post #620510 30th Apr 2017 10:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 12 <123 ... 101112>