↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Antenna mount on swing away tire carrier? Pics?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
big110

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Antenna mount on swing away tire carrier? Pics?
anyone use the tubing on the rear swing away tire carrier as a mount for a CB antenna? thinking its a good option instead of up front on the bull bar. Would love pics of the mount and how you ran the wire.
Post #614016 2nd Apr 2017 2:38pm
dnorrishill

England 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Hi, yes, i has a CB arial mounted on a Mantec wheel carrier. I routed the cable down the side of the wheel carrier and through the large hole in the rear cross-member and then underneath the vehicle to the seatbox where I then came through one of the existing holes into the cabin.

i have since sold that particular truck so cannot take any new photos and the shot below is the best I have:

Click image to enlarge

Reception seemed fine and I especially like the option of no drilling and the fact that the arial was lower as I park regularly in a multi storey carpark.
Post #614042 2nd Apr 2017 4:43pm
big110

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
that is perfect, and for all the exact reasons you say- thats why I was thinking it versus the room or bull bar. How did you account for the cable and movement of the swing carrier? the cable didnt get pinched?
Post #614054 2nd Apr 2017 5:11pm
dnorrishill

England 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
From memory I ran the cable as follows, with no issues:

I think I zip tied the cable to the top and bottom brackets as well as the 2 door hinges.
Post #614560 4th Apr 2017 8:43pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
If you are looking for good working CB, than this is not good place for antenna. It is even worse than next to windscreen. Problem is, that large portion of antenna wire is close next to metal part of car body, and this eliminates any efficient radiation from this part of antenna.
Best place is in the middle of the roof. Bit worse on the drip edge of roof or on the top of bull bar. Very bad place is on the front bar or next to the front window. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #614614 5th Apr 2017 6:36am
300TDi CSW Phil

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
If you want the antenna at the rear the best solution is a body mount throught the vertical face above the gutter line and a short springer type which will bend and flex out of trouble. (I believe this is a PSM1 body mount from memory).

Personally I have a Sirio Hipower on the front wing (using the original radio antenna hole) and this was enough of a pain to get the SWR correct and is definately limited in rear range compared to forward range.

As MadTom has said with an antenna mounted on the spare wheel carrier so much of it is paralell to the metalwork of the rear of the truck that I suspect it would be very hard to get a decent SWR reading and range would be very limited.

I'm still contemplating moving mine up on to the roof rack with an isolated mount and a grounding wire to the middle of the rack which should give me about the best reception and transmission possible (although more susceptible to damge on low trees and bridges). 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
Wide Track Sankey- In bits- Gone to a new home
M0XQS
Post #614627 5th Apr 2017 7:32am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
i made a L shaped bracket and fitted with washers to the rear door top hinge.

Click image to enlarge
Post #614635 5th Apr 2017 8:02am
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
And one more detail to work with - grounding of the antenna. Using a single grounding wire longer than a few cm means, it is DC electrical ground, but something completely different on 27 MHz (CB band).
All standard mobile antennas use car body as a "counterweight". And it needs it for proper work.
Using a rain gutter as base is good - antenna is directly grounded to the car roof = big piece of metal. Using the door hinge can be nearly the same, if there is perfect electrical connection to the body through the hinge. And to get this for long time is hard.
Using antenna with spring in the base is perfect - it will just bend and spring back, not broke. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #614664 5th Apr 2017 11:54am
Mountain_man

Wales 
Not on the spare carrier, but this was how I initially fixed mine for our first trip after the rebuild. It worked OK but range was limited. I have since fitted a proper mount to the panel above the door and it is a million times better. Once had a conversation with someone who was 50 miles away.

Click image to enlarge
Post #614720 5th Apr 2017 6:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1