↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Exhaust manifold stud kits
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
WillH

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
Exhaust manifold stud kits
Hi everyone, unfortunately the exhaust manifold has warped on my Td5 and has snapped two of the studs off inside the head. What stud kits does everyone recommend? I know that Allisport sell them and I've seen theres someone selling sets on eBay at the minute. Just wondering if theres any other sets I should consider that I haven't come across? And and advice on trying to get the snapped studs out? Confused

Cheers

Will
Post #613618 31st Mar 2017 6:22pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
Gigglepin
Post #613621 31st Mar 2017 6:31pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Allisport for me along with their manifold... Seriously fabulous all round Thumbs Up
Post #613668 31st Mar 2017 8:43pm
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
Mine warped last year, fitted one of these manifolds and it's been fine since. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-TD5-M...XQ1ZhTev3~

At the same time I fitted the Wurth/Mercedes studs which are meant to be a little stronger http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-TD5-U...QLMiExsruw

2 of the studs also snapped, a very small drill bit and a stud extractor worked on the first one but not on the 2nd. The latter would wind further in as the drill bit caught it but wouldn't wind out with the drill in reverse. In the end i found a left-handed drill bit and that worked perfectly without the need for the stud extractor. As it drilled through the stud, it bit and happened to wind the stud out of the head.

A word of caution, if you go into a generic tool shop and ask for a left-handed drill bit they will give you some odd looks Rolling Eyes but they do exist.
Post #613751 1st Apr 2017 11:28am
WillH

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
Cheers guys, I'll have a look at the Gigglepin kits too. Hopefully a stud extractor will do the job. Smile
Post #613855 1st Apr 2017 8:47pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Harry.O wrote:
Mine warped last year, fitted one of these manifolds and it's been fine since. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-TD5-M...XQ1ZhTev3~

At the same time I fitted the Wurth/Mercedes studs which are meant to be a little stronger http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-TD5-U...QLMiExsruw

2 of the studs also snapped, a very small drill bit and a stud extractor worked on the first one but not on the 2nd. The latter would wind further in as the drill bit caught it but wouldn't wind out with the drill in reverse. In the end i found a left-handed drill bit and that worked perfectly without the need for the stud extractor. As it drilled through the stud, it bit and happened to wind the stud out of the head.

A word of caution, if you go into a generic tool shop and ask for a left-handed drill bit they will give you some odd looks Rolling Eyes but they do exist.

+1 The Wurth kit is £15 and comes with copper flashed nuts which are much easier to remove without snapping studs should you have to.
Post #614213 3rd Apr 2017 1:31pm
nakatanenga

Germany 
https://www.nakatanenga.de/fahrzeugtechnik...er=NA-KBM8

The LR bolts are not DIN/ISO, so we did not choose standard ones off the VW, Würth etc shelf. These are high tensile and specially made in Germany for us, with a "you will not break them" warranty.

Available in the UK through www.4x4overlander.com (not online yet) WANTED:

SII or SIII in max 1.5k
Post #614221 3rd Apr 2017 2:17pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
They look good and a very reasonable price! Will you be offering the spacers as well?
Post #614223 3rd Apr 2017 2:34pm
nakatanenga

Germany 
Sorry, but which spacers do you mean? The kit consists of 10x stud, washers and nuts

They are meant to be fitted the following way:
insert stud to head
2 washers, so the manifld can move a little bit whilst heating and cooling
copper nut to right torque
stainless nut on top to prevent loosening of the copper nut WANTED:

SII or SIII in max 1.5k
Post #614490 4th Apr 2017 4:35pm
RoddyK05

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Yellow
Ok, this might be a daft question, but why does it warp. I assume due to excess temperature, but is this from running a higher tune or a wee bit of overheating? Or it it simply a case of bad luck. As mine is bog standard, is it at more or less risk of happening? Also, it it worth changing the manifold and studs before anything happens as an 'insurance policy' against future pain?
Post #614515 4th Apr 2017 6:47pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
I had to repair warped manifold on some bone stock TD5 - I think, with stock car, it is 50%/50% that it will warp. Probably not perfect construction of manifold, together with difference between Alu head and cast iron manifold.
On my Disco2 I had modified manifold prepared in stock for 2 years. Not enough time to change it. After summer trip to Albania (very hot weather, high mountains, over weighted car), I had to change it. One stud was already gone and one was partly broken and went during removing. I was lucky, that it was possible to unwind both broken studs.
I think, it is easier, and probably cheaper, replace the manifold before studs are broken. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #614613 5th Apr 2017 7:28am
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
I follow this wrapping too as I use a PSI powerbox and my manifold is not wrapped yet, at least not that much that I have broken studs or that it is leaking. Mr. Green

I have my ideas why the manifold wrasps. Not proven but just my ideas. I have a feeling it happens more when your engine is tuned as you will put higher temperature exhaust gasses through the manifold.
When you drive up a long hill or mountain you will use probably all or at least close too all power you have so you will put a lot off heat in your manifold. (luckely I live in a flat country) If you the go down the hill your manifold will cool down from red hot very quickly.
The design off the manifold and the equipment around it make sure that the front part off the manifold will cool quicker than the rest off the manifold as the first part is exposted the the blow from the fan and the back part has more metal like the turbo etc and is also closed in by the heat shield so it will cool down slower. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #614618 5th Apr 2017 7:54am
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I'm looking at getting a stage one on my td5 very soon. Do you think it's worth upgrading my studs (probably wurth ones) for preventative maintenance to prevent future warping and broken studs or no point?
Post #718920 21st Jul 2018 4:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1