↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > New to the realms of the td5, question on the ecu area
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MalteseRover

Malta 
New to the realms of the td5, question on the ecu area
hello. just got myself into buying a td5. i think i clearly over paid for it Sad it is a big jump from a good old trusty 2.25 diesel powered 109. Main differences are power and maintenance. so i guess i will be around every so often to unearth old problems you guys are all accustomed to. I don't mind messing about engine bays but electrics are not my forte.

i have checked twice on both inspections before buying the thing. and no oil appeared to be present in the red plug. just a haze of oil very little. now i took it out for a long drive around. it is running fine. and i noticed a blue plug leading nowhere just like in this downloaded photo. it has brown and dark wires. which are all covered in oil. what is that for?

it is a 15p engine and the chassis match on Vin decoders so it is not a bodged up build. (i hope)

ciao.
joseph

Click image to enlarge
Post #614055 2nd Apr 2017 5:13pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
No idea what it is, both my 90 and 110 had them they seem to come from factory like it. My guess is its blanked off as it would be for some kind of optional extra.

Why do you think you over paid?

I would suggest you get a Hawkeye or Nanocom to keep an eye on all the sensors and be able to check and clear faults.
Post #614212 3rd Apr 2017 12:29pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Blue plug is a header - it used many times in Def - to connect groups of wires. One part is with wires, other is just interconnect between them. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #614214 3rd Apr 2017 12:31pm
dorsetsmith

wiring header i.e cable terminal
Post #614215 3rd Apr 2017 12:36pm
MalteseRover

Malta 
hi, thanks, i will change the injector harness anyway and try seal it as per some person in some forum using anti conductive and oil resistant sealant in connectors need to give it a full service as well.

overpaid - yeah. while roughly all 90s and commercial/3 seater pick ups or vans are going for 15k to 12k euros. this was around 17800 euros.. i feel it is a lot. compared to how they sell. but there is a tendency here for sellers to factor in shipping costs and registration costs should i buy it from the uk.. so while in the uk such a model could cost 14k euros at best.. they add 1k for shipping and 1k or 2k as if it was going to be registered here.. not to mention personal profit.

owner said it had a new clutch/rad/pistons/painted axles with all new rubber bushes.. the engine bay looked clean plus a td5 inside upgrade with a hybrid turbo and remap for 150ish bhp to match the new turbo. which costs around 1000 or so euros to get. but still i find it bitter to pay such money and start spannering the next day.. i know i run a series.. but for what its worth ... i don't mind.

off with the paperwork now.. transfer and insurance. at least it is commercial so very cheap to tax compared to private saloons with such engine size.

regards.
joseph
Post #614216 3rd Apr 2017 12:45pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
There is no real need to change the injector loom. Just remove it, press a bit the pins in injector connectors, and REPLACE both blue Orings on the main connector. I made it several times (on different cars), without any problem. I had problems with quality of some aftermarket looms.
When you remove the valve/injectors cover, replace the gasket, set injectors clearance, check injector rockers for any wear and make pictures/notes of injector codes - for possible future use/control of codes in engine ECU.
A it is also good time to check/replace front cam shaft seal. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #614393 4th Apr 2017 7:04am
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
Replacing the harness is cheap, I didn't have time so my local garage did it for the equivalent of 90 euro
Post #614397 4th Apr 2017 7:15am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
MalteseRover wrote:
owner said it had a new clutch/rad/pistons/painted axles with all new rubber bushes.. the engine bay looked clean plus a td5 inside upgrade with a hybrid turbo and remap for 150ish bhp to match the new turbo.

What's the thing that looks like a PSI Power Box for? It doesn't seem to have enough connections for a regular PSI Power Box, besides you say it has had a remap. I am always suspicious when I see things connected with Scotchlok connectors, they're a bit bodgy.
Post #614433 4th Apr 2017 9:09am
MalteseRover

Malta 
that is not the ecu on mine. i did not have time to photo it.
Post #614457 4th Apr 2017 12:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1