↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Spacers - yay or nay?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
I had 30mm hubcentric spacers on my 90 for 5 years which did some relatively extreme off roading, never had an issue with them at all.

Got the same on my 110 fine so far.

Just dont fit spacers then heavily offset wheels as well...
Post #613319 30th Mar 2017 4:49pm
proloForêt

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
camelman wrote:
proloForêt wrote:
^

Can I ask you what is meaning the term "modular wheels" in this instance?

I am interested in this concept.

Most of the UK parts dealers do these wheels at around £40 a wheel at various offsets and sizes (16x7 16x8 and 16x10) thus removing the need for spacers.

A lot of after market alloys also have larger offsets but obviously you're then paying £100+ per wheel.

Thank you for the time to explain. In UK you have very good resources and suppliers in all the places. I am full with envy!
I am interested in some wheels like this. I understand that if I take the same size as my boosts alu but with the ET0 then I can put my usual tyres and the difference is the same as to have 30mm spacers so the track is wider 60mm.
Is that the correct understanding?
Perhaps I take the family to visit with Portsmouth, from close to my in-law parents I can take a boat, and then find a UK parts dealer with these wheels in a dark colour. Is Modular the name of the society who manufacture the wheel?

Léo
Post #613354 30th Mar 2017 7:29pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
Hi Leo,
most of the Uk aftermarket wheel / tyre dealers sell these wheels in one form or another.
Boost alloys are ET33, so an ET0 wheel would bring the wheels out by 33mm each side without having to use spacers. 
Post #613363 30th Mar 2017 8:04pm
Rallymental

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Have you tried just adjusting the steering stops to start with? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.
Solihull, 1948 - "If we paint the chassis, it will last for years"
Solihull, 2015 - "If we paint the chassis.............................
Post #613471 31st Mar 2017 12:45am
proloForêt

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
So I bring you news. Inspired by this conversation by stephan123, today I was able to experiment with some spacers from Terrafirma. This is not legal in France but I try just for one or two day before French registration and will take the option of different approved wheels with ET0 to recreate in the future if I like the sensation of spacers. I will not be keeping spacers which are loaned to me for just this weekend. The owner will not use them in France in the future so it is ok to talk of them now.

My impression was immediate! For such a small change the experience when at the wheel is very different. Easy to turn the steering with the arms and more precision on the road. For in the forest it is not a necessary addition but for the road it make the Defender a car of all the days. I can recommend to anyone who is considering making wider the track of the Defender by just 60mm in total, in this moment the 4x4 become a car for all the places and all the days. I recouped my daughter from school in this vehicle today and she smiled very much to see that.

I will recoup ET0 modulars when I visit to Portsmouth this year.

Thumbs Up

Léo
Post #613640 31st Mar 2017 7:38pm
Arierep

Portugal 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
A wider track is also useful in the woods. Not only the car will resist side slops better, but it's nice to have the tyres sticking a bit out of the bodywork, protecting it.

On the other hand I' d love to find some 16x7 -25 offset wheels, but all I can find are 16x8
Post #613646 31st Mar 2017 7:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123