↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Roof tent on double cab tub?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DC101

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Roof tent on double cab tub?
Hi,

Curious to know if any one has ever fitted a hinged rear tub cover (on gas struts?) to a 110 double cab, and then plonked a roof tent on it?

I appreciate there would be overhang, at least to the rear, but I'm sure I could get it rob hang over the spare wheel carrier, too.

I understand it may appear a daft idea and maybe I might as well get a good ground tent, but I quite fancied the lower height profile and easier for mounting and demounting. Plus it's still a roof tent (sort of), and not so far to fall out after a beer...??!

Any thoughts welcomed!

Cheers

Rob
Post #612725 27th Mar 2017 9:28pm

England 2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Stornoway Grey
Sounds like a good idea to me, LRS Offload have an image of one in this thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic12613.html

I was going to go with a similar approach but fit an AFN canopy and use a Maggiolina on the 130 HCPU but have decided to have something more substantial fabricated.
Post #612755 27th Mar 2017 11:02pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
I J-bolted a sheet of ply to the capping rail on my Series III and then bolted my roof tent to that.
Had the added advantage of giving us waterproof lockable storage in the tub.
Worked very well for an extended tour of the Alps. 
Post #612762 28th Mar 2017 12:19am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
I was thinking the exact same thing! Would be much better mounted on the pick up bay, lower centre of gravity, less wind resistance, easier to get in and out of. Though I wonder if the gas struts would accept the extra weight?
Post #612823 28th Mar 2017 10:30am
DC101

Thanks for the replies and link.
Good to see a photo of one actually mounted to a rear tub. I'll have to contact LRS to see what tub cover they have used. Looked on eBay recently and saw a horrendously expensive bit of folded aluminium checker plate (£700!!) as a tub cover. But wouldn't think it too hard to fabricate....? The plywood is a good inexpensive solution, but would like it to hinge? The other thought was a 3/4 height canopy, with the closed roof tent flush with the roof line.

Cheers

Rob
Post #612863 28th Mar 2017 3:30pm
bankz5152

I bought the NJ Aluminium cover, with all the stainless lashing bars for a staggering £792 delivered Shocked

It is however very good, not quite £792 good but they are they only ones who make one and its secure.
Post #612869 28th Mar 2017 3:37pm
DC101

Thanks Bankz. Will take a look. Would it take a rooftent?

I Called LRS in Doncaster regarding the earlier link and they weren't aware of the double cab posted on the forum with roof tent on....although the tub cover looks very nice! Granted, it was 5 years ago, and staff move on...
Post #612926 28th Mar 2017 7:47pm
bankz5152

To be honest I have no idea, website says it can take 100kg evenly spread but I suspect it could probably take more, if not it would be very easy to reinforce it. The whole thing is made from 3mm chequer plate
Post #613032 29th Mar 2017 10:42am
DC101

Bankz,

Is it possible to photo how the cover sits on the tub and gas struts? Possibly concerned about seal and the additional weight of tent when lifting tonneau cover up, and could beef up the gas struts? I'd like to lift it for acces with the tent on.

Cheers,
Rob
Post #613311 30th Mar 2017 3:05pm
bankz5152

I havnt actually finished fitting yet! I'm about half way through and should get the rest done tomorrow.

Though I can tell you the rubber seal sits on top of the tub cappings, you have to use a fair bit of silicone sealant around the rear and the fixings. The do state it is not 100% water tight but they have done the best they can about sealing it.

Once i've fitted it I plan to flood the top with the hose, maybe the jetwash as well, to simulate heavy rain and see if I can find any leaks and address them, just like the rest of the 110 Whistle Laughing Laughing That or use the old smoke test.

You could easily replace the gas struts for some more heavy duty ones and add a solid bar to hold it up if required. It would also be pretty easy to reinforce the subframe of the lid just with bolting in some ali box section, or be extra strong with a tig weld.
Post #613316 30th Mar 2017 3:27pm
bankz5152

DC101 wrote:
Bankz,

Is it possible to photo how the cover sits on the tub and gas struts? Possibly concerned about seal and the additional weight of tent when lifting tonneau cover up, and could beef up the gas struts? I'd like to lift it for acces with the tent on.

Cheers,
Rob

Finished fitting over the weekend, pics as promised.

You can see where you could add some extra ali box section and weld it in place, would make for a very strong surface.

Comes with out without the lashing bars.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #614187 3rd Apr 2017 9:33am
DC101

Bankz. Thanks for the photos. It looks a very tidy addition to your Defender and looks like the top would easily take some cargo rail. I think I would like one for my purposes to sit higher on the tub, much like on the earlier link from Sticky by LRS. However, as mentioned, LRS seem to know nothing about it! Be interested to know if anyone else does?

Bankz, are you planning to mount anything on top of the staging?

Cheers

Rob
Post #614328 3rd Apr 2017 8:04pm
bankz5152

Thanks Smile . I see what you mean, though I'm sure something could be adapted or made to fit how you want it to. As the tent would have to over hang a fair bit to still allow access to the loadspace.

I don't plan to fit any permanent additions bar a CB radio aerial, I considered mounting my spare on top but I had already fitted the swing away. Though I will use the top of the cover to transport things as and when I need to.
Post #614440 4th Apr 2017 9:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1