↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Meeerrrk's Defender Journey
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 12 <123 456 ... 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
meeerrrk

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Another full day of Defender time for me and the better half on Saturday! Thumbs Up

We finished the seat upgrade by building up the back sections. The exmoor trim sets are truly fantastic. We've never done anything like this before and I'm amazed at how good they are!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

We also fitted a 3 piece leather dash trim set and a "preimium" cubby box. Together with the carpet set, the interior is really a million miles from where it was, really pleased so far. We refitted the rubber mats over the carpet while it's still a bit wet and grotty outside. You may also note a removeable steering wheel kit.

Just need to get some pennies together to sound deaden and trim the rear of the van now!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next up I rebuilt the side steps, look much better. While I was doing that, my trusty helper was replacing the exterior badging Bow down

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

We then set about replacing the mirror caps for gloss black to match In With the rest of the detailing.

Click image to enlarge

We've pretty much run out of parts ( and money Big Cry ) for a while. THe only thing left on the store is a set of Masai side windows, which I'm keen to fit but would like to treat the whole rear cab as a project so will collect the bits we need and do it all in one.

I'd also like to change the centre dash to gloss black, so I'll get that done (nice and cheap).

Other than that I've got my eyes on the following;

- Chassis and body protection (booked in with Chris)

- Suspension spring / kit - I think it's got HD springs as it's a very harsh ride and seems quite high. Suggestions welcome!

- Double din / fold out dash screen c/w satnav

- Front brake pad change

Incidentally I've calculated a few tanks of fuel and seem to be archiving a pretty constant 28mpg including short trips to work and a fair bit of towing the race car around (about a 1ton load). Fairly pleased, ~350miles per tank.

That's all for now Mr. Green My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #610727 19th Mar 2017 9:16pm
JAY BOY

Wales 
Top job Thumbs Up
Post #610732 19th Mar 2017 9:24pm
meeerrrk

I almost forgot... also fitted the front steering Guard, hard to see...

Click image to enlarge
 My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #610733 19th Mar 2017 9:26pm
L110CDL

England 
Looking great with all the work you both have put in Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #610740 19th Mar 2017 9:36pm
meeerrrk

A couple of small jobs done.

Went to do a front pad change and ended up having to replace a calipers as the piston on one side wouldn't fully retract Sad

Click image to enlarge

With that job done, I moved to the interior and fitted the heated seat switches and wiring

Click image to enlarge

I then decided to wrap my centre console gloss black until I can decide to go double din or not.

Click image to enlarge

I'm currently saving to finish the rear, fit the Masai window kit, interior trim panels, sound deadening and carpet set from Exmoor. My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #612846 28th Mar 2017 1:29pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Spotted you at Peterborough services this evening!! Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #614117 2nd Apr 2017 8:42pm
meeerrrk

Yep, that was me on the way home from Lincolnshire after a fun packed weekend with my race car Mr. Green My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #614137 2nd Apr 2017 11:10pm
gabe3105

United Kingdom 
It looks really good Thumbs Up

What make is the steering guard?
Post #614182 3rd Apr 2017 9:13am
meeerrrk

thank you Smile

I'll be honest, I don't know - I’ve tried to work it out myself. It was there when I purchased it, I’ve removed it, had it powder coated gloss black and refitted. Embarassed My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #614243 3rd Apr 2017 2:53pm
meeerrrk

A few more jobs done.m;

I've got the start of a steering wobble at above 50 mph, stragely it doesn't always seem to be there and it's not a fixed speed which seems to trigger it, so I do t believe it is tyre related. Also, I wondered if it was discs after changing calipers and pads recently, but braking is perfectly smooth so I don't believe it to be that.

I purchased a new steering damper as I thought that could be to blame after a hell of a lot of googling and forum searching. I figured it was an easy thing to try and wouldn't break the bank.

The Bilstein B6 seemed a sensible choice. The original (removed) damper was shot, it didn't return at all when pushed!

So I was feeling confident!

Click image to enlarge

Off I went for a test drive, but unfortunately the steering wobble is still there, although you can feel the damper is actually dampening it now. On that note he steering on a whole feels lovely now so the damper wasn't a complete waste of money!

One of the LED DRLs on my bumper failed. So I called Paddock spares who were great I must say. With a new one in my hands within 24hrs I got round to swapping them over .

Click image to enlarge

Finally, I ordered and received a set of gloss black Britpart light surrounds and grill kit. Island 4x4 were doing a good price and I love them, exactly the look I wanted. Nice quality too I must say.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #615247 7th Apr 2017 9:14pm
meeerrrk

I am lucky to have Safari Engineering local to my home so I popped over today. They seemed like good guys; friendly and helpful.

I discussed the wheel wobble and they suggested checking the swivel pins which I had already been reading up about. So I've ordered a few tools and read a hell of a lot of guides to give it a go myself.

We also discussed a leaky rear diff pinion seal so I need to also check my breather as that was suggested to be a culprit given the symptoms.

Finally we discussed fitting a set of lower and softer springs to the truck, which I hope to do shortly.

So I hope living so close to Safari Engineering will pay dividends over the period of ownership !

Here's the defender out and about Mr. Green

Click image to enlarge
Post #615252 7th Apr 2017 9:20pm
meeerrrk

You don't often get to see this view of your defender Whistle

Click image to enlarge
Post #615256 7th Apr 2017 9:32pm
meeerrrk

I've also upgraded my Audio system over the last few weeks.

The truck has some lovely focal components and a JL amp/sub set up when I purchased it. However the rear speakers were really lacking. So I've now upgraded the rears to Focal as well Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It sounds utterly glorious Thumbs Up My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #615291 8th Apr 2017 6:55am
meeerrrk

Had a bit of a break from the Defender recently.

We took it over to Chris for his full chassis and body treatment just before easter, picked it up on easter Saturday and really enjoyed the drive home through some lovely country roads. Niggled by a steering wobble and harsh, crash suspension, I got home and decided to check and reshim the front swivels.

I'd read loads of threads, watched tons of videos and went in with confidence.

However the job soon turned into a bit of a nightmare, discovering a collapsed bearing and two missing rollers Big Cry

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

After much deliberation I decided to give up and took a trip down to Safari Engineering first thing on Tuesday morning.

Dave was great and helped calm my nerves, and said he could squeeze it in on the following Monday. So Saturday morning I very slowly and carefully drove the 4 miles to drop it off.

ABS and TC lights lighting up the dash on the way really didn't fill me with confidence!

After a few hours of working on it, Dave rang wii the bad news that the ABs sensor and CV / ABS exciter had been damaged so had to be fully stripped to replace.

A hefty bill ensued but it could have been a lot worse and I'm greatful for Safari fitting it in quickly.

While it was in I also had a set of 1" lowering springs fitted, they are of standard spring rate so softer than my HD springs.

I'm pleased that my Defender is now back in the road after almost 3 weeks of not using it, and the ride certainly feels better so that's a positive.

In need to give it a good clean and take a few pics.

This long weekend seems like a perfect opportunity to fit the Masai rear windows and exmoor rear carpet set. What could go wrong?!...come back next week and I'm sure you'll find out!! Rolling with laughter My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #619690 26th Apr 2017 5:08pm
meeerrrk

Bank holiday weekends are for working on your defender! Or so I told my partner!

We finally took the plunge and fitted the Masai windows. I must say they are lovely quality and the fitting instructions are very good.

After measuring, marking, and remeasuring around 42 times, I made a couple of test cuts. This thought me 2 things

1) Jigsaw was best over angle grinder.

Out of interest We have a full kit of Ryobi one+ cordless tools, and the jigsaw fitted with a fine toothed bosch blade made mincemeat of the aluminium. Using just a single battery to do the whole job.

2) Use plenty of masking tape as a tiny piece of swarf between the jigsaw and the body work will ruin the paint in an area that isn't being cut out! I also saw a useful hint on wheeler dealers when they did the defender; make sure you cut in the right direction to ensure the jigsaw doesn't fowl the roof as you rotate!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Once the windows were fitted we set about carpeting the bulkhead. We had already fitted front dynamat and Exmoor trim carpet set but because we have the rear bulkhead, (which I like for when I'm fully loaded up on race weekends) the bulkhead looked out of place. So we got some carpet and trimmed it too.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Once that job was done (and what a difference it made to the finished looks), we went on to dynamat the rear

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Once that was complete, we fitted the Exmoor's rear carpet set. As always a lovely kit from Exmoor.

I had to disassemble and trim down the sub box, and retrimmed it in black before refitting. The sub box is shaped to fit the rear tub (courtesy of the PO) and neatly houses the two amps as a power cap.

I also replaced the protective rubber mat over the new carpet to stop it getting messed up (as I have with the front foot wells)

Click image to enlarge

Finally, I installed a used Clarion fold out headunit I bought from this forum. Main aim is to work out if single din or double din is the preferred choice for me! I haven't finished yet as I need to install a reverse camera.

Click image to enlarge

And here is the finished article (for now!)

Click image to enlarge

Next job is to install some side and rear interior window trims and get the headlining trimmed black, to finish the look. My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #621113 2nd May 2017 7:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 12 <123 456 ... 101112>